Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 09:17 AM

23 posts, read 70,244 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've been posting a bit here there on the Portland forum. Trying to take what I like and leaving the rest. We are considering a move to Portland for our family within the year. Origianlly from No. California, we have lived in Nevada,
No. Arizona and the Phoenix Metro areas.

My husband and I grew up in very lefty families politically and were always lefties through college, but now that we are in late thirties and have two children we are a little more on the conservative side. Not totally conservative, but not totally left. If that makes sense.

We send our children to Catholic Schools and want to keep it that way when moving to Portland. I'm reading a lot of negative things about religion and Christianity in the Portland area. I wouldn't say we are strict devote Catholics, but we feel religion is important and believe it should a part our family life.

We decided on possibly Portland for these reasons:

We love the outdoors...Hiking, camping, biking, fishing, the ocean, family walks.

We love the city life. Small shops, non-chain restruants, diversity and culture.

We wanted a city with positive energy. A progressive city like Portland, Seattle or San Francisco.

The reason we can not do San Francisco is obiviously the cost of living with a family is just not doable for us. Seattle seems alittle to far North for us and
from what i hear has the most cloudy and rainy days of these cities.

I guess my question here is do you think Portland is a good fit us or should we looking else where??

All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
As always, take things on this board with a grain of salt. No, Portland is not an overly religious place, but then, it's also the kind of place where people don't really care what you do or don't do either. So going to church doesn't mean that you'll be outcasts. And the Catholic schools here are packed. That doesn't mean they're all religious people, but then some of them have to be don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland