Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 PM

586 posts, read 823,660 times

Advertisements

I decided to post on here because obviously since everyone is from the area, you'll understand my descriptions better as well as any directions of travel I need to give.

Today, I was picking my mom up from north central kaiser and ran over over a pothole right before the freeway entrance. I dont really travel that part of town so dont know which road I was on but after entering the freeway we would be going SB towards salem or if we kept right would be going into exit 302B towards beaverton.

I've never felt such a strong impact from a pothole before, my car jerked and swayed before I pulled over right after we entered the exit. Called road side assistance and they said it would be 2 hours til they got there. Called the non emergency police dept and no one showed up. We were stranded and I had 2 very exhausted toddlers wailing and demanding to be let out. There were some crazy drivers who swerved into the Emergency lane right behind us and swerved back out.

Finally I got out and tried to put the spare tire on despite never doing it before. My mom didnt want me miss anything so stood in the emergency lane and signaled for help. A good samaritan pulled over and assisted me in putting on the tire.

We are home safe now, but I dont understand why such a bad pothole is left unrepaired in the first place, especially right before the entrance to the freeway. I will call and report the pothole, but can I get a reimbursement for my busted tire? I mean, if I was driving in a neighborhood and saw the pothole I could slow down to 10 or evenb5 mph but it was before yhe freeway so I couldnt drive any slower. Just wanted to see what I could do, if theres a slim chance, then oh well, too bad for me, I'll just avoid that freeway entrance from now on since I wouldnt know when they'll fix it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:30 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,639,842 times
Rather than be long winded, the answer is no. That is what road hazard insurance is for.

You would waste more of your productive time trying to find someone to even talk to you that it is even worth.

Report the hazard as a good citizen and avoid the area.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 PM

418 posts, read 722,893 times
All the rain in December has led to a big new batch of potholes.

My mom once had her fender damaged by a poorly placed curb at a city community center and she got reimbursed for it. I don't know how it would work with potholes, though.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmilw View Post
All the rain in December has led to a big new batch of potholes.

My mom once had her fender damaged by a poorly placed curb at a city community center and she got reimbursed for it. I don't know how it would work with potholes, though.
how did she go about it? If its simple enough, I may give it a try. Regardless, I will report the pothole tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:22 AM

32,482 posts, read 47,415,214 times
No, you won't get reimbursed for it. If you happen to have purchased that tire from Les Schwab, they include road hazard insurance for tires purchased from them. You'll have to pay a prorated price, but at least some of the cost is covered.

I don't know if other tire places give road hazard coverage. Call the place where you bought the tire and ask them.

The comprehensive insurance on your car might cover road hazard, but probably a new tire costs less than your deductible, so it isn't worth making a claim.

If you have towing insurance, ask if that covers road hazard.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:33 AM

10,004 posts, read 7,140,523 times
This kind of thing is where Les Schwab really shines. I once got 2 tires blown out by a fallen rock on I-84. That thing was like a knife's edge and just slashed both my passenger side tires wide open when I hit it. Expensive low profile sports car winter tires no less.

They were about 1 year old... with Les Schwab's pro-rate it cost me less than $100 to replace both of them which I considered a great deal.

About the pothole... you can file a claim, but the city or county would probably not reimburse you. I would definitely back a city council candidate that advocated faster pothole maintenance. Personally I find the entire state of Oregon's road maintenance to be very poor. They always complain about not having enough resources.... well where does our property and income tax money GO then? If there's anything I want taxes to pay for, it's keeping the roads up.

Some cities, ie: Buffalo, NY, have a "pothole guarantee" that once reported it will be fixed, weather permitting, within 3 days. I would definitely vote for that. https://www.ci.buffalo.ny.us/Home/Ci...rantee_program

Last edited by redguard57; 01-19-2016 at 01:43 AM..

Old 01-19-2016, 11:22 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,584,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
There were some crazy drivers who swerved into the Emergency lane right behind us and swerved back out.
Perhaps they were not crazy but were avoiding the pothole that you had hit. There are a couple on my normal route that I'll lean out of my lane to avoid if it's safe to do so.

On the whole I don't find Portland to have worse road condition than most other places I've lived, but it seems there are a few extra deep potholes this winter.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Perhaps they were not crazy but were avoiding the pothole that you had hit. There are a couple on my normal route that I'll lean out of my lane to avoid if it's safe to do so.

On the whole I don't find Portland to have worse road condition than most other places I've lived, but it seems there are a few extra deep potholes this winter.
No, the pothole was at the freeway entrance. We pulled over on the freeway, the pothole was well behind us. I just decided to pull over because otherwise we'll have to keep driving on into another exit and it'll be harder to pull over then.

Definitely crazy drivers as I observed. They swerved onto rhe emergency lane hoping they could cut some cars as it was rush hour traffic.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
This kind of thing is where Les Schwab really shines. I once got 2 tires blown out by a fallen rock on I-84. That thing was like a knife's edge and just slashed both my passenger side tires wide open when I hit it. Expensive low profile sports car winter tires no less.

They were about 1 year old... with Les Schwab's pro-rate it cost me less than $100 to replace both of them which I considered a great deal.

About the pothole... you can file a claim, but the city or county would probably not reimburse you. I would definitely back a city council candidate that advocated faster pothole maintenance. Personally I find the entire state of Oregon's road maintenance to be very poor. They always complain about not having enough resources.... well where does our property and income tax money GO then? If there's anything I want taxes to pay for, it's keeping the roads up.

Some cities, ie: Buffalo, NY, have a "pothole guarantee" that once reported it will be fixed, weather permitting, within 3 days. I would definitely vote for that. https://www.ci.buffalo.ny.us/Home/Ci...rantee_program
The tire on my car is less than two years old too. The road conditions in portland are not ideal but I never complained. Dont mind a bump here and there, but a pothole that deep that would slash every car's tire(s)? That pushed my button...

Worst part is having 2 toddlers at the moment...

Old 01-19-2016, 01:27 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,407,948 times
Pothole reporting:
How to report potholes

(Amanda Fritz is the commish)

And you aren't the only one:

Portrait of a pothole: When road damage takes out your car, who takes the blame? | OregonLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland