Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
- single female, white, late 30s, ideally would like to meet a nice guy
Depends on your definition of "nice guy" and how aggressive you are willing to be. When it comes to dating, men here are incredibly passive. But if you're over 35, you're chances diminish greatly. I have a few friends who have been here 5-6 years now and are early to late 30's and have been single the entire time they've lived here. In fact, most of my girlfriends have been single for years - myself included. Other than one or two, those who aren't single were already with their spouses when I met them - I've been here for almost 20 years. It seems to be better once you hit your late 40's - early 50's from what I've seen in my social circle/network. But if you are looking in the range of 35-48, you have a lot of competition.

Quote:
- wanting to finish licensure to be a therapist and have a private practice
My friend has a master's degree with an emphasis in family counseling. Unable to get a job in his exact specialty, he tried to start his own practice and now works in a call center for an IT company.

I second researching job availability in your specialty as part of your decision making process. Your best bet would likely be to build up a clientele in an established practice and then branch off on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And I think the Freeze is real, but I'd be interested in hearing about the OP's experience, if she decides on Seattle, and after she gets settled in. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I'd have to hear it from the women in Seattle. So far, going by my own experience and that of my gf's in Seattle, there's definitely a freeze.
A friend who moved to Seattle in last fall is having a very hard time meeting people despite Meetup, which is how he made friends when he moved here, and pursuing the other usual avenues to meet people. He was transferred with his job and is in his mid-20's. Last I heard, he hadn't made any friends yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
I see nothing wrong with a 3-hr. drive or train trip to Seattle to visit family. It's an option. The OP might prefer Portland, which tends to be friendlier than notoriously reserved Seattle (look up the "Seattle Freeze" threads on that forum, OP). The only problem is that according to some women around the OP's age, the dating scene is dead for that age group in Portland. I wouldn't say Seattle shows more potential in that regard, either, though.
I hate to sound negative but if the OP is in her 30's and looking for a male partner in her age group then I would suggest Seattle over Portland.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
IMO, The "Seattle Freeze" is way overstated, and exists really only on sites like this, and other social media. That being said, Seattle (and Portland, for that matter), tend to attract more introverted people. Also, much of Seattle was settled by those of Swedish or Norwegian ancestry, which have a long history of being reserved.

Seattle and Portland are similar in some ways (climate, friendliness, vegetation, democratic, etc.) but different in many ways (big city feel, corporate feel, perhaps more business-oriented in Seattle).

BTW, the term is "Seattleites" and "Portlanders".

Old 02-09-2016, 08:50 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Hi all. I know there are tons of threads on this topic, but I thought I'd post one, with my unique situation. I currently live in Dallas, TX, and am seriously considering moving to the PNW this summer, in order to be closer to family, and to live someone that's actually pretty. My parents, siblings, and their kids, are all in Seattle, and really want me to move there. However, I know Portland a little better (lived there for 2 years of high school and one post-college). I'd appreciate input on which place is better, considering my stats:
- single female, white, late 30s, ideally would like to meet a nice guy
- wanting to finish licensure to be a therapist and have a private practice
- somewhere easy to make friends/friendly people (especially since I'm on the shyer side)
- somewhere with good public transportation/walkability

Seattle has family right there, but counseling licensure seems more complicated up there. I like the feel of Portland, but don't know anyone there really. The running group I'm in (H3) has chapters there, and I hear that PDX group is nice, but don't know for sure, obviously. I'm kind of considering San Diego as well, but not as likely.
Any advice would be great!
I was interested in the title you posted, 4eversearching. I'm also very confused by what seem to be conflicting comments. You state, "wanting to finish licensure" then later you write, " Seattle has family..........., but licensure seems more complicated up there." So where exactly are you in your training? Have you completed your graduate education in whatever license you are pursuing? If so, what do you need to accomplish to "finish licensure" clinical hours, passing national tests or other?

From my perspective you seem to be saying: Washington State has more requirements than some states (which is true, depending on your degree and licensure). But until you complete training, including mandatory clinical hours and pass your national exams, I am not aware of any state where you could just obtain a state license. Are you in the clinical phase of completing your counseling hours, under the supervision of another practitioner clinically licensed and once you meet those thousands of hours, then you can be licensed to practice independently?

I'm not trying to give you a difficult time; rather as someone who is clinically licensed in a couple of states who has read the requirements to be licensed in OR or WA, I think you are either omitting some steps or somehow I can't follow your steps to licensure.

Before I write anything else, when do you finish training and take your national exams for licensure? Or if your only remaining task is to obtain an independent license, when are you eligible? Are you licensed anywhere currently?

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-09-2016 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 PM

346 posts, read 730,711 times
Hi MSR,
Yeah I didn't go into detail because I figure most wouldn't want to hear detail, and those who would be curious, are in the field themselves. Basically, I have my masters, finished practicum, and have extra hours from that, which we were told can count toward internship hours, as an LPCI. I've been waiting to take the NCE because I figured it would be easier to just take that in whatever state I go to. I was kind of confused when reading about the licensing requirements, but it looked like in Oregon, it was fairly easy to transfer existing hours, so basically it sounded like I could move there, take the NCE, and finish up all of those clinical internship hours. I could be wrong but, in Washington, it looked like a counselor needs to take like 12 CEU classes a year in order to maintain their licensure. I may have that wrong, but it looked like A LOT of nonstop classes were required, just to even maintain a license, once you have it. So that is a major downside (if I read it correctly). If you read this and can elaborate, that would be great.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:36 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Hi MSR,
Yeah I didn't go into detail because I figure most wouldn't want to hear detail, and those who would be curious, are in the field themselves. Basically, I have my masters, finished practicum, and have extra hours from that, which we were told can count toward internship hours, as an LPCI. I've been waiting to take the NCE because I figured it would be easier to just take that in whatever state I go to. I was kind of confused when reading about the licensing requirements, but it looked like in Oregon, it was fairly easy to transfer existing hours, so basically it sounded like I could move there, take the NCE, and finish up all of those clinical internship hours. I could be wrong but, in Washington, it looked like a counselor needs to take like 12 CEU classes a year in order to maintain their licensure. I may have that wrong, but it looked like A LOT of nonstop classes were required, just to even maintain a license, once you have it. So that is a major downside (if I read it correctly). If you read this and can elaborate, that would be great.
Hi 4eversearching. I don't have that license. Nonetheless, any professional that must pass a national exam and then be licensed by a state licensing board, is in a regulated profession. What I know are about three basic things regarding licensure for regulated professions:

1. Every state requires continuing education (CEUs) yearly to keep a clinical license in good standing. If that is what you mean by "non-stop classes." Ask any of your classmstes, supervisors or others about Continuing Ed.

2. Most states have their own list of "hoops" one must meet. One of my licenses requires me to physically be present in that state for a certain number of my annual CEUs, others don't. WY has a steep application fee that surpasses any state in the West.

3. If what you are referencing is the 12 additional hours WA State requires in Suicide Prevention, for something like 17 regulated professional licenses, you are right. Few, if any require that much additional training about suicide. Did you click through the links to learn how come WA State wants clinicians to have that level of knowledge of suicide prevention /intervention each renewal period? And no, it's not because of rain in Seattle, that gets really old. (Check out the Montana thread and the question about suicide there. I was looking for that one when I saw your thread. I responded to the myth about Seattle and rain causing someone to be suicidal in a MT thread. ).

The extra suicide prevention CEUS are due to all the returned Veterans in WA.

I do hear you at this point the last thing you want is more time in a subject that may or may not be your forte'. You didn't ask for any advice but please allow me to ask you a few questions and offer a couple of suggestions to think about for licensure. Then I will bow out.

1. Email or call the state licensing boards directly. They've probably heard your questions before. It's better to ask and know exactly what you have to do than to not be able to get a license someday, or to have disciplinary action taken because you didn't complete their rules exactly as outlined.

2. Consider, just consider, taking your exam as soon as you can. Being the Devil's Advocate, what will you do if you don't pass the first time with the score you need? It happens to some people. I hope you don't experience that, but better to ask yourself what are the plusses and minuses of taking the exam as soon as it's given where you are currently? It seems to me you could remove one stressor in your life if you took the exam prior to moving. Most dislike studying after moving.

3. Have you considered getting a TX license (I think you said you are currently in TX) first? You will have to get covered with Malpractice insurance and other things to be able to see clients. Are you on any health insurance panels? Who will do your billing and how will you get enough clients for private practice somewhere in the NW? Will you get hospital co-admitting privileges, limit the age you see or be a generalist? Look at the differences in WA and OR licenses as a reciprocal license vs. the first license.

No one who graduated with me went directly into their own private practice. It takes time to build referral sources. I still remember my first private practice client. An E.R. RN I'd worked with for two years asked me if I would see a kiddo. There are various ways to let people see your work.

It simply seems to me if you move to the NW prior to your national exam and basically having no one see your work, getting a job will be harder. Is there either a private or non profit you could work for in TX that would have a sister agency in the NW? Even if it's just three or six months, if you have post-licensure experience often colleagues know of other agencies where you want to relocate, if they don't know peers directly. You'd be surprised how much easier that would make your life to get some experience, colleagues who will write letters for you both to state licensing and to any potential employers.

If you can move prior to your exam, get licensed and open a successful private practice, kudos to you. It's not how 99.9999% of clinicians are able to build a successful private practice.

Good luck moving forward, whatever you decide to do. I wouldn't lose my dream of practicing in the NW, if I were you. I'd go about it differently when you decide in which state you want to practice

MSR

P.S. One of my licenses requires 30 CEUs/year. You may be surprised what different states require. Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-09-2016 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: