Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 04:45 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
why do people even buy those new houses? They are idiots. Who wants to be so close to your neighbor and have no yard at all. Completely moronic. I know if I searched I could find an 'older" house within the same price and have a decent yard and not open my window and touch my neighbors house. Weir Road and Murray in Beaverton They re ruining our community with these stupid housing developments where all the houses look the same
Beaverton is the land of housing developments, which is fine, I knew that when I moved from an old house in Portland to Beaverton. There are some neighborhoods that are older but compared to Portland even the older hoods are pretty new in comparison. I have gotten used to developments and I focus on the pretty trees in Beaverton hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
why do people even buy those new houses? They are idiots. Who wants to be so close to your neighbor and have no yard at all. Completely moronic. I know if I searched I could find an 'older" house within the same price and have a decent yard and not open my window and touch my neighbors house. Weir Road and Murray in Beaverton They re ruining our community with these stupid housing developments where all the houses look the same
Also, after reading your post again I realized you are talking about houses near the big church at Weir/ Murray. I am confused how those homes are so different from the other developments in Beaverton like Progress Ridge, Sexton Mountain, Cedar Mills, and so on. I actually know people from our kids' school communities and our parish that live there and they are not only very smart, NOT IDIOTS, but also very involved in the community. The taxes are high there as well, so I guess BSD is getting getting funding for the local schools from those "idiots". I am sure you didn't mean to call a group of people that you don't know such a not-so-nice term. We all are living in Beaverton and just trying to get along regardless of dwelling. I know I don't feel animosity towards apartment dwellers or people who live in McMansions in Cooper Mountain. We all make choices and I don't know how soneone's choice to buy a townhouse or 1960's rancher affects you.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:46 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:

Weird, huh? Especially if they have to pay HOA fees, as I suspect most neighborhoods in South Beaverton do. My nephew and his girlfriend rent a condo closer to Scholls Ferry. Last Thanksgiving as we walked to their door I noticed how squished in the houses were and they reminded me of my townhouse-renting years (yuck). Nice inside. But hey are voracious barbecue fiends, and they grumble about the lack of space in their back yard (can't entertain), so now they're planning to move. Don't know what they'll find out there, though.

Another reason I don't want to sell my home is that I have space from the neighbors. Our culdesac is very modest and looks very... well... lived-in. Persnickety types could never live here. As neighbors we all get along and we have privacy and space between each other. We've had our frustrations over the years but I still feel lucky.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Weird, huh? Especially if they have to pay HOA fees, as I suspect most neighborhoods in South Beaverton do. My nephew and his girlfriend rent a condo closer to Scholls Ferry. Last Thanksgiving as we walked to their door I noticed how squished in the houses were and they reminded me of my townhouse-renting years (yuck). Nice inside. But hey are voracious barbecue fiends, and they grumble about the lack of space in their back yard (can't entertain), so now they're planning to move. Don't know what they'll find out there, though.

Another reason I don't want to sell my home is that I have space from the neighbors. Our culdesac is very modest and looks very... well... lived-in. Persnickety types could never live here. As neighbors we all get along and we have privacy and space between each other. We've had our frustrations over the years but I still feel lucky.
I have lived in NYC neighborhoods where brownstones and other row houses have been there since the 1800's. Row houses are attached so yeah, living close is part of the deal. People learn to get along. I am shocked that townhouses in Beaverton is bothersome to anyone that lives in a townhouse as you know what you are buying up front. There seems to be plenty of cul se sacs out here. No body is being forced to live in a town house. What's the issue with townhouses and HOA's in Beaverton? They have been around for a while. Right?
Also, a lot of professionals in Beaverton are not so interested in yard upkeep and are happy with a small garden. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Yankeemama; 05-22-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 12:47 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I have lived in NYC neighborhoods where brownstones and other row houses have been there since the 1800's. Row houses are attached so yeah, living close is part of the deal. People learn to get along. I am shocked that townhouses in Beaverton is bothersome to anyone that lives in a townhouse as you know what you are buying up front. There seems to be plenty of cul se sacs out here. No body is being forced to live in a town house. What's the issue with townhouses and HOA's in Beaverton? They have been around for a while. Right?
Also, a lot of professionals in Beaverton are not so interested in yard upkeep and are happy with a small garden. Different strokes for different folks.

HOAs. To me they're a couple of notches above Hell. I don't want a group of people telling me what I can and can't park on my own driveway or even what color to paint my house. Where I work, I've heard about a lot of disgusting behavior from some HOAs, in Beaverton (hopefully they have gotten better). Some people like those restrictions, though. And others, like you said, aren't interested in garden upkeep which, in many cases, they pay big fees for their HOA to do it.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
HOAs. To me they're a couple of notches above Hell. I don't want a group of people telling me what I can and can't park on my own driveway or even what color to paint my house. Where I work, I've heard about a lot of disgusting behavior from some HOAs, in Beaverton (hopefully they have gotten better). Some people like those restrictions, though. And others, like you said, aren't interested in garden upkeep which, in many cases, they pay big fees for their HOA to do it.
Many people choose a development with an HOA so they don't have to confront their neighbors. The HOA plays the "bad guy" and because of the rules there is a natural weeding out process of the kind of people who collect flamingos on their lawns. My neighbors seem to work a lot and don't have time to deal with BS. I do enjoy gardening but I am glad that the landscaping is done for me. HOAs can be a pita but if the good outweighs the bad then whatever works, I say. My HOA seems to be ok and I am crossing my fingers.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:26 PM

48 posts, read 54,678 times
Just bought a nice house in Sherwood after renting for a year. Word was our landlord was going to raise rents $200 a month at lease renewal so doomsday has been averted.

Wasn't easy though. Had to buy the house at full price the same day it hit the market as there's almost nothing coming on the market worth owning.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_m View Post
Just bought a nice house in Sherwood after renting for a year. Word was our landlord was going to raise rents $200 a month at lease renewal so doomsday has been averted.

Wasn't easy though. Had to buy the house at full price the same day it hit the market as there's almost nothing coming on the market worth owning.
Congratulations!

Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 PM

48 posts, read 54,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Congratulations!
Thank you. Here's hoping all of us manage to find a safe haven in this real estate "nightmare" we seem to have gotten ourselves into.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
According to Zillow (so take this with a grain of salt), my house has increased in value by almost 50% since the market bottomed out in March of 2012. I live in a neighborhood of '70s ranches. I guess if I was selling tomorrow I would make out pretty well, but my family and I are not going anywhere anytime soon.

My plan is to not believe that these prices are sustainable over the long term. I believe they will go down again, and some of that inflated equity will disappear just as easily as it appeared--probably during the next recession or when the Fed really starts notching up those interest rates, or when our weather gets back to normal and all of those people that moved here saying "this weather isn't so bad" get their comeuppance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland