Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 04:36 AM

5 posts, read 18,289 times

Advertisements

Currently I am living in Germany and I can get to all parts of town without a car.

I have seen the TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area site and it seems pretty extensive but I need to know (I hope someone can help me!) if it is possible to go to all areas without a car. Should I live on a MAX line?

I will be moving to Portland, OR in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM

543 posts, read 1,146,283 times
Default Without a car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgyuro View Post
Currently I am living in Germany and I can get to all parts of town without a car.

I have seen the TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area site and it seems pretty extensive but I need to know (I hope someone can help me!) if it is possible to go to all areas without a car. Should I live on a MAX line?

I will be moving to Portland, OR in May.
Portland, overall is very friendly to those who have no car. There are quite a number of people who successfully have lived here for years without one. You want to be able to get to "all areas"? I'm not sure what you mean by that.. You can certainly get to many areas.. as you can see from the TriMet maps. For ventures outside of the area, you can actually rent a "Flex Car" either by the day or week or month... they are parked in spaces around town and after you make arrangements, can go pick one up and then return it. They are not too expensive, and can give you more flexibility for the trip to the coast or the mountains or?

Living on a Max line might be a good idea, depending on where you live and work... Best wishes...

Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 PM

199 posts, read 800,687 times
you can live in Phoenix, AZ without a car, but it's not advisable. So yes you CAN live in any part of Portland, it's just going to be a heck of a lot easier/less hassle in certain parts as opposed to others. Portland city limits sprawl to the east for many miles. You do NOT want to be east of I-205 without a car, even on the MAX line. The red and blue line split at the Gateway stop, which means anything past that halves the amount of trains for you to travel home on. Which equals more waiting time, which gets aggravating.

As a general rule the closer in, the better chance you have of living well without a vehicle. Where that "dividing line" is as to where it's no longer worth it, is a matter of personal preference. Being able to ride a bike helps a lot when public transit doesn't work out.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 AM

5 posts, read 18,289 times
Default Thank you both for the replies!

I asked this question because I am not allowed to drive due to medical reasons.......

I'll try to live "closer in".

Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:37 AM

12 posts, read 55,755 times
Hi,
I asked the same question a few days earlier than you did on this forum and got some great advice. Scroll down the list of questions asked and you will find "Where to Live in Portland If I Do Not Want to Drive a Car?" Beaucamp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: