U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 06:21 AM

18 posts, read 15,654 times

Advertisements

Hello! There's a job offer in the works for me in Hillsboro, so to better inform my decision on whether to accept or decline it, I'm researching the cost of living in and around the area. Specifically, rent and utilities. If anyone has a moment and can offer some insight:

RENT

I'm single, expecting to find some 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment, probably somewhere between 650 - 850 square feet. From the admittedly little research I've done in the last two days, it seems like $1100 to maybe $1400 is the normal monthly rent for the newer apartment complexes in the area. The only website I've bookmarked so far, for further looking into, was the one for Thorncroft Farms (http://www.berkshirecommunities.com/...croft-farms/); seemed like a nice place to live, and relatively affordable on the paycheck I'd have if I moved there. Anyone have any experience or comments on that complex? Or any others they would recommend? I'm sure there's cheaper places I could rent in the area, but I'm honestly leaning towards the somewhat newer locations. After a few years in the military, living in pretty horrible barracks, I'd like to live somewhere nice, newer, etc.

As for transportation, I have a car, so I may use public transportation, but its unlikely. I would also highly prefer an apartment complex with some kind of gym available. Don't really care about pools.

How long might it take to find a place to rent there? My current plan would be, suppose I get the job and I start work on this specific date, I would drive up there probably two to three weeks before the job starts to look for an apartment and move in. Probably stay in an Extended Stay or something while I tour some apartments, then pick one and apply. I'll do as much internet research as I can and make some calls so I can narrow my search to only a handful of places when I arrive, like 4 to 6.

UTILITIES

What would a single individual, no pets, in an apartment expect to pay in utilities per month? I know it'll vary based on the season and everything, but if anyone has any estimates, or even personal examples if you are in the same living conditions as I, that would be great. What would internet cost, as well? Not really interested in getting cable or satellite TV, at least not right now.

I'm trying to come up with an estimate of what my monthly bills will total out to, as accurate as possible, and use that to decide if they pay I'll be getting is worth the move. Again, I've only started looking into this a couple of days ago, but a rough estimate that I have so far would be, like, $2300 per month in bills (car, car insurance, phone, internet, rent, utilities). Probably too high, I used the upper-end of any estimates I saw to prepare for a "worst case scenario".

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,729,053 times
I used to live just down the way, and have walked through/around Thorncroft Farms dozens of times. I've been in most of those complexes, but at this point (4 years out) I sometimes have trouble remembering which is which. IIRC Thorncroft is nice as a facility, and one of the more expensive, though they're all expensive these days. As a general rule I advise documenting everything at move-in, and being at least somewhat prepared they'll stiff you a bit on deposit at move out.

Creekside at Tanasbourne has the best management reputation of the complexes around there, but they almost never have openings and they at least used to have a verrry long waitlist.

FWIW, the area you're looking at living is a residential/commercial district commonly called Tanasbourne. Parts of it are in Hillsboro, parts are in Beaverton, and I think the very northern tip might technically be in Portland. Depending on where you're working, it can be a 15-20 minute commute to other parts of Hillsboro, particularly downtown Hb.

That particular complex is farther east, with Shops at Tanasbourne to the West (dining, REI, Whole Foods, etc.) and the 185th corridor to the east (Safeway, TJs, Great Harvest, nice little guitar shop). Pretty good movie theater just across evergreen to the north, and bagels/banking just across Cornell to the south. Living there you could honestly do almost all your errands on foot, other than Hardware.

I don't think Thorncroft has any units that face Evergreen or Cornell, so street noise shouldn't be too bad. Not sure if there's much ambulance noise since Kaiser opened up just to the NW.

Living in a complex, your water bill should be around $30-40 per month since most of the cost is access fee, it won't change much unless you shower all day, electrical will vary on use, but IIRC most of those complexes have electric heat rather than gas, so you'd be looking at an electric bill anywhere from $50-120/mo with high seasonal variation. Most of those complexes don't have A/C. Trash is likely built into rent, as would be an uncovered parking spot. Those Tanasbourne complexes generally have the option to rent a covered spot - or garage- for a premium. Phone/internet/tv would obviously be on you.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:57 AM

18 posts, read 15,654 times
Thanks for the info, bler144! I'll definitely look into Creekside, maybe I'll luck out and get something there. Yeah, I definitely noticed all the shops in the immediate area around Thorncroft, that's a plus. I should walk more, anyways, or I'll invest in a bicycle to get around. Good to know on water, $40/month isn't bad. Electrical, I'll probably keep low, too; stay warm with blankets, mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland