Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times

Advertisements

Intel reduced it's overall workforce by 20 percent between 2005 and 2009(not just Oregon), they laid off about 2.5 percent of their workforce last summer across all locations, but the total positions in Oregon actually increased by 5 percent since last summer with the D1X facility launching. They're always trying to shift to remain highly profitable in a market that's shifting away from PCs. The older workers will get hit harder and in certain sectors, I have friends at Intel who I was talking about this with last weekend.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 04-18-2016 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When you're desperate for for the money, you'll take what you can get. I've been there. Nobody knows what will really happen but if it does, it's possible there will be people looking for something to supplement their unemployment compensation while waiting for the next job. That's all I am saying. Time will tell.
If you work at Intel, you are probably aren't going to be that desperate for money and will simply either look for tech jobs at another company or move all together to someplace else that is hiring. It isn't like people can't sell their homes and relocate in this market. Though as many have pointed out, the article is vague where the layoffs will happen, and it is a safe bet that it wouldn't have too much effect on their Hillsboro office.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:12 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
Nordstrom is cutting 400 also

Nordstrom to cut up to 400 jobs in wake of slow sales | OregonLive.com

Old 04-18-2016, 07:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Looks like after eight long years, America is FAILING bigtime.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
I think the impact will be bigger than some of you guys are letting on. I know someone who works there and she said there is a major hiring freeze going on. People are actually getting issued 'Volunteered Severance Packages' which they can take immediately instead of getting laid off at an unexpected time. The quarterly reports will be less impressive, which impacts bonuses. The Hillsboro location is the largest site by far in the U.S. (even more than HQ in Santa Clara). Having the most employees means there is also is quite a bit of fat, as typical in most large bureaucratic companies. And contrary to popular belief, not every engineer can just walk into any organization after a layoff and get a new job that easily. Many, especially older workers, will have niche skills that may only be valuable at Intel, but be completely useless at other nearby companies. The Boomers may be forced to retire, and some of the other senior/experienced 150k+ employee may never get that salary again by being in favor of a cheaper H1B or college graduate that would be happy to accept half of that.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:16 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Looks like after eight long years, America is FAILING bigtime.
Yep, Looks like Intel India's off-shore operations isn't being affected either. I think the executive team realizes they can operate just as well with much less people on the U.S. payroll during their downturn.

Intel: Job cuts not to affect India operations - Times of India

Old 04-18-2016, 09:26 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I think the impact will be bigger than some of you guys are letting on. I know someone who works there and she said there is a major hiring freeze going on. People are actually getting issued 'Volunteered Severance Packages' which they can take immediately instead of getting laid off at an unexpected time. The quarterly reports will be less impressive, which impacts bonuses. The Hillsboro location is the largest site by far in the U.S. (even more than HQ in Santa Clara). Having the most employees means there is also is quite a bit of fat, as typical in most large bureaucratic companies. And contrary to popular belief, not every engineer can just walk into any organization after a layoff and get a new job that easily. Many, especially older workers, will have niche skills that may only be valuable at Intel, but be completely useless at other nearby companies. The Boomers may be forced to retire, and some of the other senior/experienced 150k+ employee may never get that salary again by being in favor of a cheaper H1B or college graduate that would be happy to accept half of that.
Well maybe it might cause some of them to move away from the area and help give some relief to this housing issue.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:48 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
A hiring freeze happens when a corporation is evaluating their human resource needs.

In my experience if you are offered a voluntary severance package take it. Those who depart early in a down-sizing process have the most employment opportunities. One concern of employers is that employees they want to retain will grab the package and run.

I have seen NIKE go through this process several times.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 AM

251 posts, read 203,705 times
Intel has a long history of p preparing for Q3 hiring freezes and layouts, followed by fresh hiring waves smooth for-to-six months later. Recent hires generally do fine. Been there over ten years, no hot projects, patents, technical rotation, or singular gifts? Beware. The culture has changed radically since Sales has been in charge, but even so, if you're not either making profits or profit pipelines, could be time to consider your options. I loved my decade there, but after sabbatical, it was time to go.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:39 AM

300 posts, read 267,308 times
H1B visa invasion..Goodbye American workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland