Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:58 PM

148 posts, read 178,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Really? I highly doubt what you write on your keyboard. So courageous to talk smack online.
I'm confused by this, maybe it depends on what industry you work in. Why would I be afraid of Californians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 12:16 AM

148 posts, read 178,462 times
Quote:
My favorite thing is to laugh in the face of a whiner who blames people from a certain region of the country for all his problems or lack of success.
This is kinda silly, Oregonians that complain about Californians aren't automatically bitter losers. We've made a ton of money off Californians moving here. It just bothers us how they complain about Portland after moving here. They call us Racists, Bigots etc..., even though we built a city they would all rather live in. I know there's only a few of us left, but I always take pride in the fact that it was better here then it was in California for most of you (or you wouldn't moved here). So keep buying our old 800 sq. ft. craftsman for $400,000 and enjoy your life up here. I've spent a lot of time in California and I couldn't imagine living there either.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:28 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
This is kinda silly, Oregonians that complain about Californians aren't automatically bitter losers. We've made a ton of money off Californians moving here. It just bothers us how they complain about Portland after moving here. They call us Racists, Bigots etc..., even though we built a city they would all rather live in. I know there's only a few of us left, but I always take pride in the fact that it was better here then it was in California for most of you (or you wouldn't moved here). So keep buying our old 800 sq. ft. craftsman for $400,000 and enjoy your life up here. I've spent a lot of time in California and I couldn't imagine living there either.
Well said, though as I always say, if California is so great, maybe Californians should move back rather than try to turn Portland and Oregon into another California.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:02 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:
My favorite thing is to laugh in the face of a whiner who blames people from a certain region of the country for all his problems or lack of success.
Well put. Never got a single bit of attitude in oregon for being from ca in all the years i lived there. Its reserved for the keyboard courage/moms basement types. Yes i know natives say those things in private or in generalized letters to the editor, never once to my face. So i never gave a crap. The other thing that cracks me up is how often anti-ca sentiment lines up with people also opposed to the ugb. Yeah get rid of the ugb, that'll keep out the californians. Smart. They often tend to be the ones who want to allow endless tract home and minimall development, then blame ca folks who move to those towns for "californicating" oregon. Cant have both... either drop your libertarian views or your anti-ca sentiment... one of them has to go.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:15 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Well put. Never got a single bit of attitude in oregon for being from ca in all the years i lived there. Its reserved for the keyboard courage/moms basement types. Yes i know natives say those things in private or in generalized letters to the editor, never once to my face. So i never gave a crap. The other thing that cracks me up is how often anti-ca sentiment lines up with people also opposed to the ugb. Yeah get rid of the ugb, that'll keep out the californians. Smart. They often tend to be the ones who want to allow endless tract home and minimall development, then blame ca folks who move to those towns for "californicating" oregon. Cant have both... either drop your libertarian views or your anti-ca sentiment... one of them has to go.
Republicans, libertarians, and some transplants are the only ones who want to do something stupid like getting rid of the ugb. More than anything, those are what I don't want coming to Oregon and Portland. The ugb is what makes this place what it is and should not be removed.

Liberal Oregonians are the ones that want to keep things like the ugb around, and there is a lot more of us in the state.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:38 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Well said, though as I always say, if California is so great, maybe Californians should move back rather than try to turn Portland and Oregon into another California.
You ever heard of getting out a little? Sad how many people like you are scared to actually leave your comfort and be a risk taker. Leave. Try it. You might like it.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:09 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwpdx View Post
There's quite a bit of anti-California sentiment around here as Californians are seen as some of if not the prime drivers of the rapidly increasing cost of living and gentrification here.
Can't blame them. You should see what Californians are doing to Texas (especially Austin and DFW). A lot of people here in Texas feel the same way, and they're not really incorrect to feel that way, especially when most Californians move here with unfriendly, bad, arrogant attitudes ON TOP of all the problems they bring with them, like insane increases in traffic and COL, mass gentrification, changing the local culture, etc.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:02 PM

39 posts, read 31,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Can't blame them. You should see what Californians are doing to Texas (especially Austin and DFW). A lot of people here in Texas feel the same way, and they're not really incorrect to feel that way, especially when most Californians move here with unfriendly, bad, arrogant attitudes ON TOP of all the problems they bring with them, like insane increases in traffic and COL, mass gentrification, changing the local culture, etc.
Yep, the "y'all ruined y'alls state, now you're here to ruin ours" that's okay, I'll be a transplant to Oregon pretty soon, so I can't say anything till I get back to Texas.
My girlfriend was surprised when she came down here that we didn't like Californian's as much as she said y'all portlanders did

Old 04-24-2016, 04:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,706 posts, read 58,042,598 times
You cannot re-create ' home'. BTDT

Enjoy wherever you are to the best possible advantage, and if necessary, go create a NEW home, but don't expect to re-vitalize a previous home. People change, Places change, you change, rose collored glasses get blurry.

Do visit your old homes often and keep the flame alive and your old friends well informed and cared for.

Many SFO co-workers retained their CA properties when they came to PDX and Corvallis. Most returned to CA or someplace better, ASAP. Often ID or CO was a good second choice for them.

Hint: keep that prop 13 benefit and CA home equity working for you, just bring enough dough to rent in PNW.

You might need to enlarge your options for meeting and developing friends. From my very limitied experience... The best friendships were formed before and during toddler yrs. Do you have families that you travel / camp / meet weekly / share needs with? No? Pursue that.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:03 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
I have no idea how things are now, but 15 years ago or so I moved from San Francisco, a place I felt was very easy to make friends in, to Portland, and had an impossible time of it there. Besides the hostility to people from California (never mind that I'm a Mississippian, LOL!), the place was cliquish, and not nearly as liberal as people tried to make it. It seemed to be a forced sort of liberalism, whereas in S.F. there was never any doubt about that. I'm sure San Francisco has become much more conservatibe in some ways since the huge increase in the cost of living there, not sure what's happened in Portland, but w/ more competition for jobs and housing I can't imagine that Portland has become more friendly. Things were awfully segregated there too.

I wouldn't mind Californians coming here to Florida. Compared to the East Coast Yankees, they would be a refreshing change! Yankeemama mentioned passive aggressiveness. That is exactly how I would describe the Portland locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland