Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 11:25 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I'm no expect but my guess is that the morning commute is more spread-out, plus I was on the train at 7am. My guess is between 7:30 and 8:30 it's a lot busier than it was at 7am. In the morning at 7am, you wouldn't have any students or retail/restaurant workers, you would only have people who work in offices. The students and service workers probably start coming in more between 8 and 10. Whereas in the afternoon, pretty-much all the offices, schools, the retail stores and many of the restaurants/coffee shops all close within the same 1 1/2 hour window.
That's a good explanation. When I lived in Chicago and took the subway and bus, I always noticed the same thing and thought it was probably for the same reason.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:26 PM

36 posts, read 82,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Do you mean the Blue Line? The only reason I could think that you'd need to transfer from the red to blue would be if you went from the airport to Hillsboro or were going to Gresham to the east of Portland, from NE Portland to Beaverton they're the same route. The Blue Line from Beaverton to downtown is fairly quick but from Hillsboro it can take a little longer(like 20-30 minutes more).

Oh wait, are you referring to the train to Wilsonville? I'm not sure about that, I've never road that train to be honest, I assume if you can get to the Beaverton Transit Center in not much time it's not a bad commute downtown(like 20 minutes or so). I don't know how frequent the trains on the Wilsonville route are though(which is sort of separate from MAX).
Yeah, I was referring to the train to Wilsonville. On the map it's a black line, so I just assumed it was another MAX line. Now I see that it's called WES Commuter Rail.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamBri View Post
Yeah, I was referring to the train to Wilsonville. On the map it's a black line, so I just assumed it was another MAX line. Now I see that it's called WES Commuter Rail.
Where would you possibly take it from? I know it stops in Tigard, Tualatin, and Wilsonville and goes to Beaverton--but I think if you're commuting to downtown from those areas, it might be easier to just take the bus. If one was commuting to the Beaverton or Hillsboro areas it might make sense to take the Black Line to the Blue Line. I think though it'd be a case where if you timed it just right, got the train in Wilsonville or along the way and managed to just hit the Blue Line MAX going to downtown from Beaverton it might be faster than just a direct bus, but I don't know the frequency of the Black Line train. I have co-workers in Tigard and they have about a 45 minute bus ride--from further south it's up to about an hour or more, but they mostly seem to all take the bus.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:46 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
My husband takes MAX from Beaverton to Portland Airport or vice versa about once a week. He has taken the train at different times if the day and it's pretty reliable as it takes about an hour one direction. Uber drivers often drive Hubby home from the Beaverton stop to our house if he is coming home late.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:36 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Where would you possibly take it from? I know it stops in Tigard, Tualatin, and Wilsonville and goes to Beaverton--but I think if you're commuting to downtown from those areas, it might be easier to just take the bus. If one was commuting to the Beaverton or Hillsboro areas it might make sense to take the Black Line to the Blue Line. I think though it'd be a case where if you timed it just right, got the train in Wilsonville or along the way and managed to just hit the Blue Line MAX going to downtown from Beaverton it might be faster than just a direct bus, but I don't know the frequency of the Black Line train. I have co-workers in Tigard and they have about a 45 minute bus ride--from further south it's up to about an hour or more, but they mostly seem to all take the bus.
I took the WES from the Hall-Nimbus station and transferred to the MAX (either Red or Blue Line) at Beaverton Town Center to get downtown for a couple years. WES was great, and the transfer just involved walking across the Beaverton Town Center bus mall--a couple of hundred feet--to catch the MAX. Usually less than 5 minute wait for the next Red or Blue. Then I would do the reverse home. I also had an option for an express bus to downtown from my neighborhood, but I always preferred the trains because they took about the same amount of time, were nearly always on time, and the MAX stop was closer to my office. I think the WES runs about every 30 minutes.

Whether you do the WES or the express bus, they only run weekdays during peak hours in the morning and evening. So you need to check the schedule to make sure it works for you.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:54 AM

36 posts, read 82,365 times
Thanks for all of the information. I really don't know exactly where I would be coming from, but I would hope somewhere south or west of Portland. I'm not living in the Portland area and now isn't the right time to move there, but hopefully in a year or two (if there are any affordable houses left by then). I'm just thinking way ahead.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
1. In general yes, though it runs at street-level for almost the entire length [though the particular stretch you'd be riding includes most/all of the underground stretch along the blue/red lines]. It experiences slowing during high heat (90+), and can have shutdowns for the more rare incidents of snow/ice or moderate flooding.

Lines can shut down for hours when someone (pedestrian or auto) gets hit on the track, which can be a couple times per year.

2. Depends on the line. Blue/Red to/from the west hills pack up pretty tight at peak rush times. Not like "Japan-tight" where you have to body slam just to get on the car, but "uncomfortable invasion of my U.S.-standard personal space and hey that guy smells pretty bad" or "I think I'll just wait for the next train" tight. Other lines aren't so bad, especially east-bound as Red/Blue/Green mean pretty constant cars heading between downtown and Gateway TC.

3. Depends on the lot. As of a few years ago Sunset TC was commonly full by 7:45-8 am, whereas farther out towards Orenco lots often never filled completely. I don't think that's changed much, though I could be wrong. Wouldn't be surprised if Sunset fills even a bit earlier than back when I was paying attention to the lots in 2011.

If you can live close enough to the line to walk/bike, that's certainly an advantage.

There is a ton of new construction around Orenco so those park-and-ride lots might be getting more action now.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:32 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There is a ton of new construction around Orenco so those park-and-ride lots might be getting more action now.
Could be, I haven't been out there in 2-3 years. Though I would note that the Orenco stop is in a locations that is fairly reachable on foot or by bike compared to where much of the housing development of the last 10-15 years rests. Quatama (the spot I really had in mind more than Orenco) likewise services a pretty dense cluster of housing adjacent to the tracks station, though as things keep building farther and farther out, sure, it's going to draw more of those commuters in as well over time.

Anyway, that doesn't hold at all for Sunset, which has very limited foot/bike access to area housing and pretty much requires everyone using it drive there (or bus).

Old 05-13-2016, 01:04 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
MAX stops right in front of where I work, but I've gotten REAL disappointed in it in the last several months. The last straw is when I waited for 55 minutes. A co-worker has the schedule app in her phone, and it kept moving it out and moving it out.

I still ride MAX sometimes, just not regularly. I have a new plan. I stand aside and wait for whatever comes first. If it's the one going the other direction - straight to the Beaverton Transit Station - then I board that one and take the bus home. Bus gets me home 10 minutes later but it's a lot more reliable, and I'd rather keep "moving" than sit and wait and wait until I get p-ssed off.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 AM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
But the rare incidents of snow/ice pretty much shut down Portland.
Good point. It doesn't take much to shut everything down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland