Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 05:23 PM

71 posts, read 60,787 times

Advertisements

Are most of the Californians who are 'accused' of moving to Portland, I assume without bias, typically older, "career established" and from California? I would think they would need to be people who have accrued some level of adequate equity in order to justify this phenomenon. After all the great recession wasn't so long ago, and I still struggle to understand exactly 'who is' the Californian that is moving to Portland. I was told yesterday by someone here in LA that a very similar thing happened in the 1980s. Any good resources for published statistics relating to how many Californians have moved to Oregon YOY and compared with other transplants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 06:26 PM

199 posts, read 217,339 times
People move to Oregon for all states. I've seen people move here from Washington, Illinois, Michigan, Texas, Idaho and many other states. Californians are probably the minority in transplants but they get the most hate because they are the ones loaded with cash and it is thought that they are the ones who are making housing expensive.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:34 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
People move to Oregon for all states. I've seen people move here from Washington, Illinois, Michigan, Texas, Idaho and many other states. Californians are probably the minority in transplants but they get the most hate because they are the ones loaded with cash and it is thought that they are the ones who are making housing expensive.
I am not loaded with cash but I wish I was.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:07 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbar View Post
Are most of the Californians who are 'accused' of moving to Portland, I assume without bias, typically older, "career established" and from California? I would think they would need to be people who have accrued some level of adequate equity in order to justify this phenomenon. After all the great recession wasn't so long ago, and I still struggle to understand exactly 'who is' the Californian that is moving to Portland. I was told yesterday by someone here in LA that a very similar thing happened in the 1980s. Any good resources for published statistics relating to how many Californians have moved to Oregon YOY and compared with other transplants?
Although a year or two behind, the US Census Bureau is worth looking at; most data I've seen uses this.

I saw this, "The U.S. Census Bureau reports one out of four (roughly 32,000 people) are moving to Oregon from California" and it's what I've heard. I believe the next highest state/amount was WA at 7,000.

This was an interesting read.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:04 PM

776 posts, read 580,418 times
Like a mosquito at a nudist colony, I don't know where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx-transplant View Post
But this is a fair and rational warning to Cashole-Transplants, especially from California. My wife and I heard what was happening back here in Portland and decided to move *back* as quickly as we could. That was in Feb of 2015. Unfortunately, we didn't make it back until July of last year. I didn't land a "permanent" job until March of 2016. So now that I'm back in PDX (home) *and* finally qualify for a loan, it's completely too late for us. Game over. But not just for us, for many, including all of your transplants thinking about moving here...So here is my message to Casholes of California and elsewhere: It is too late for you to move here.
-You moved back there for the same reason 'Casholes of California" did, so you can't claim holier than thou statues.
-Where did you move from? Please don't say California or I will just loose it.
Quote:
All your buddies that already moved here screwed up this city and now there is NO inventory of real estate on the market, except for grossly overpriced sh**-hole houses that are complete dumps or tear-downs. Basically, you are entering a market with depleted inventory and what's left is a house that you are literally going to pay $250k more than it is worth. Why the hell would you even consider doing something so stupid?
-It is happening all over in popular, nice weather areas; please take your head out of the sand.
-Don't you think that is what happened to California? San Fran was probably a nice, little, and cheap area too at one point and time, with its own nice little culture.
Quote:
And all you are contributing to is the destruction of our culture and city's livelihood.
HA, HA, HA; Oh my, how the tables have turned. It's a problem when you see people in another part of the country not wanting immigrants in there town. Destroying their culture, taking jobs, raising crime rates because there's not enough work for all of us, and sky rocketing home prices. But this is just 'fine and dandy' to do when it applies to Californians. Yea, and Portland is the liberal capital of the US.
Quote:
You will hardly find a place to rent in addition to the above.
-Moving more poor people out or forcing them to be homeless, sounding familiar yet?
Quote:
Also, your commute from that lovely, charming, bungalow in hip North Portland (or SE close-in PDX) will be a nightmare when you realize that your Intel job commute is sometimes 2 hours each way per day. And that isn't including the Fall and Winter when weather makes for an average of 5-10 MPH on all highways... that is *when* it is rolling.
-And California's never experience increased traffic due to people moving to their state. From what I heard on this site, some people in LA would consider that a dream commute.
-Once again, if you say California, especially southern CA, I will just loose it. I hope I'm not drinking anything when I read your response.
-There are many people who would drive 2 hours + for an Intel job.
Quote:
So please, move somewhere else... Because you deserve better!
-Sorry buddy, but your Portland is turning into California. Once this starts, It can't be stopped. Ask other cities that haven't had the privilege of being isolated for so long.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn67vSHIdOs , I'm so sorry but I could help myself.

In conclusion, take a number and stand in line behind the Native Americans, then the Mexicans, then the Anglo-Saxons, etc.

Last edited by Nothere1; 09-27-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-27-2016, 06:40 PM

199 posts, read 217,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Although a year or two behind, the US Census Bureau is worth looking at; most data I've seen uses this.

I saw this, "The U.S. Census Bureau reports one out of four (roughly 32,000 people) are moving to Oregon from California" and it's what I've heard. I believe the next highest state/amount was WA at 7,000.

This was an interesting read.

I also remember seeing some stats saying that more than half of the people who moved to Portland area actually moved from other parts of Oregon, rather than other states.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:43 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
I also remember seeing some stats saying that more than half of the people who moved to Portland area actually moved from other parts of Oregon, rather than other states.
I recall that too. Something like 30k migration within OR. Not sure what it was to Portland Metro.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 PM

71 posts, read 60,787 times
When I moved to Portland in 2006 from Eugene, I really thought I had moved to "the big city" Now after being away for a few years I was recently surprised when returning and seeing so much development inside the city. Theres an abundance of projects its seems thats really resurfacing the image of the city. With an already substantial metro population size, and limited area to expand, I do wonder what the growth rate of Portland is compared to other West Coast metros like Seattle?

Old 10-02-2016, 12:29 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Default hi all couldn't resist!!!

as a 24 year resident of SF I can certainly relate to the Portlandian's woes (honestly it did get really old with the constant stream of new to the city hipsters, and I LOVED my city)- I left my beautiful old roses (musks, tea , and english garden roses ) and a slew of memories, SF was so much fun and we started out on food stamps in that city.

Anyhoo- here I am!
Really love the Southeast more laid back but neighborhoody scene, my partners a Portlandian and his crowd got pushed out here over the years but managed to eventually secure houses in Foster-Powell, a few in Woodstock and SE Hawthorne...
Didn't know a darn thing about Portland, but that the love of my life is here, and so now am I...
And thanks to a little bit of that California cash, my sweetie and I have a house!
Brentwood Darlington -right past Duke and near the Park -- I lived all those years on the edge of Golden Gate Park with its sand dunes on the city's edge, beautiful museums, and forests... anyways I miss my former city, she certainly had her growing pains, and I am sure Portland will be fine.

i will keep ya'll updated how this formerly- Californian settles in...
PS
both my parents remember Oregon from 40 years ago and can't wait to come back through, although I am sure they will be in shock to see the new Portland, although we all do like those food carts, and let me tell you the commutes and parking availability-- still waaaaayyy better than San Francisco (I had people who would rather walk or bus it, than risk losing their parking space)....

Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 6,554 times
Portland, OR is awesome. Born and raised in Albany, OR. Moved here in 2008. Took a while to find my niche, but if you're up for the struggle/challenge for a while, you will find something. Then Portland will be an even more amazing place for you. Housing is tough her, but I do think it will get better, pretty sure we're in a bubble. I don't know when it will break or slow down, but as long as you have two strong income earners, you will be able to buy a home. May not be in the direct downtown core or or close into the city center, but you'll surely be able to find a place not too far from the Max line. That's what my partner and I are planning, we totally embrace the e-bike/max line combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland