Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 08:05 PM

2,659 posts, read 3,855,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
Have you ever actually traveled to, driven around, or otherwise lived in the Twin Cities area??? Trust me, tge difference in population has very little bearing on the economy. The quality of life in the TC vs. Portland is no contest. However, people can't stand MN winters, etc. And GDP per capita is really a no contest considering a dollar in MN goes a hell of a lot farther than a dollar in Portland/OR. I mean I can easily name 15 MAJOR companies with headquarters in the TC area. Maybe 5 in the Portland area? If you have never actually been to MN you have no idea about anything. I've lived in 2 of the hottest real
estate markets in the last 15 years, Denver/SoCal, traveled several times a year to visit family in OR, and just spent the last year living in the TC area. By far the midwest has more to offer a middle class family than any other area of the country, that is if that family really relies on jobs/wages etc. to get ahead and prepare for their financial future and that of their children. It's also a great place to go to college. Just not as "cool" or "fun" as the West Coast.
Lived 40 plus years in midwest, mostly all over WI but also in IL. Have many, many relatives in TC and MN areas and have spent many fine months there. Great place but winter sucks.

Have lived in Portland area for last five years.

Your post is accurate.

Midwest work ethic, common sense and the educational opportunities can create a higher quality of life.
We like it here too but were fortunate to come here fairly well established already.
I see younger colleagues struggle more here. Most are from PNW though so they have no idea and are happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 11:45 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
Portland will never cost as much as the Bay Area, and be happy about that.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:16 AM

219 posts, read 313,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
Have you ever actually traveled to, driven around, or otherwise lived in the Twin Cities area??? Trust me, tge difference in population has very little bearing on the economy. The quality of life in the TC vs. Portland is no contest. However, people can't stand MN winters, etc. And GDP per capita is really a no contest considering a dollar in MN goes a hell of a lot farther than a dollar in Portland/OR. I mean I can easily name 15 MAJOR companies with headquarters in the TC area. Maybe 5 in the Portland area? If you have never actually been to MN you have no idea about anything. I've lived in 2 of the hottest real
estate markets in the last 15 years, Denver/SoCal, traveled several times a year to visit family in OR, and just spent the last year living in the TC area. By far the midwest has more to offer a middle class family than any other area of the country, that is if that family really relies on jobs/wages etc. to get ahead and prepare for their financial future and that of their children. It's also a great place to go to college. Just not as "cool" or "fun" as the West Coast.
Actually, it's 17 in MSP and 2 in Portland. MSP has almost twice as many Fortune 500 companies headquartered as the Seattle area, and more than Denver, San Diego and Portland combined.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's a never ending circle. People from California (Bay Area) move to Seattle to afford a home, driving up the prices. People from Seattle then move to Portland for the same reason. While there is considerable growth in some others states (Like Colorado and Texas) the west coast climate, beauty, and easier access to Asia will keep it as the most desirable part of the country to move to for transplants and immigrants. I think they all 3 cities will continue to go up in cost but it will remain:
#1 Highest Prices SF Bay area
#2 Seattle
#3 Portland

Old 06-24-2016, 07:36 AM

10,060 posts, read 7,229,638 times
There's a limit.

Both Seattle and SF Bay have nearly unlimited tech money. Housing can be expensive there because those tech elites will be paid as much as it takes. If there's a collapse in tech, that might change, but otherwise not.

Portland has Intel which looks like it's on a relative decline. It has much smaller and less impactful industries and economic sectors as a whole.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Major cities on left coast are living examples of the coming 2 class society, that we vote to perpetuate.

USA is too passive for a revolution, and measures in place to create more mellowing / dis-arming of middle class.

It will not be pretty, but most of us will be living it. ( in the lower class of society)

Old 06-24-2016, 08:24 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
........It will not be pretty, but most of us will be living it. ( in the lower class of society)

But if you live in Washington or Oregon, you will be stoned on pot and won't care (Soma has come to pass, just as foreseen)

Old 06-24-2016, 08:30 PM

846 posts, read 609,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
But if you live in Washington or Oregon, you will be stoned on pot and won't care (Soma has come to pass, just as foreseen)
Don't forget that they want you to live in a micro house, an 600sqft dwelling. It is for the good of the environment, of course. Wink, wink

Last edited by KJoe11; 06-24-2016 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 09:29 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
Don't forget that they want you to live in a micro house, an 600sqft dwelling. It is for the good of the environment, of course. Wink, wink
If you're single, it is better than roommates. I lived in an old studio for years that was about that size on the edge of downtown and loved it. Just me and my dog, never had to concern myself with roommates and got to enjoy my space because it was all mine.

Now I am married and it is nicer living in a larger place outside of downtown in a more quiet neighborhood. So while, not everyone would want to live in a small apartment, it is definitely good to have for those that do.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:16 AM

197 posts, read 261,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's a never ending circle. People from California (Bay Area) move to Seattle to afford a home, driving up the prices. People from Seattle then move to Portland for the same reason. While there is considerable growth in some others states (Like Colorado and Texas) the west coast climate, beauty, and easier access to Asia will keep it as the most desirable part of the country to move to for transplants and immigrants. I think they all 3 cities will continue to go up in cost but it will remain:
#1 Highest Prices SF Bay area
#2 Seattle
#3 Portland
And like most people on the WC have you actually lived anywhere else? Not just traveled or read about an area but actually LIVED and WORKED in other parts of the country. I have and trust me while beautiful, the west coast is not the end all be all. Ever been to Door County, WI? The St. Croix river valley in MN? The Ozarks in southern MO. etc? Beauty like people is in the eye of the beholder. Thank god! People and businesses are leaving CA in droves! CA is becoming a third world country. It may not SEEM like it due to infrastructure, wealth, etc. But you can feel it when you live there. A very tiered, stratified society and culture, mostly have-nots in the form of illegals, third worlders, welfare queens and kings, and LOTS of haves and the middle class caught in the middle as the lowly debt slaves they are throughout the US. Texas has seen so much growth in the last 10 years since the recession due to record oil prices and the huge boom in oil and gas. That is coming to a close. As it took years for that to peak it will take several years to feel the real ramifications. CA is literally on fire and suffering major drought. 2/3 of the state is a desert. It's only "beautiful" in the more expensive areas along the coast. Get out of the coastal areas and it's little Mexico all over the place. San Bernardino? Inland Empire? Even Northern CA seems more and more transient than it ever has. There are some very systemic problems in CA that people just seem to gloss over that other areas of the country don't have.

Colorado has a lot to offer but again the economy isn't that strong. The big boom has a lot to do with the surge in people moving there for pot and pot businesses. I lived in Boulder, Denver, and Colorado Springs. Housing is pricey, weather is ok........it's been getting hotter and hotter there over the years. Parts of Denver are flat and ugly and half the state is like KS. Most of the mountainous areas have few jobs and are playgrounds for the rich and retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: