Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,794 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I just moved here from the northeast and I've had no luck finding a sublet here. I have very few connections who are on the lookout for a room, but that's not reliable.

I'm working minimum wage jobs so I'm certainly not making enough to lease an apartment. I'm currently staying at my second hostel in town, and there are limits to how long you can stay at hostels, so time is of the essence.

I've replied to about 30 Craigslist ads this week and have gotten zero responses!! I customize those emails too so I don't sound like a spam bot. I'm not a party person and I don't even drink or smoke. I have no pets, children or "random guests." I can pay the rent. I really can't see what the hell is going on there. The YWCA only offers shelter to domestic abuse survivors-which fortunately doesn't fit me. I've looked at a roommate matching website but it reeks of scam.

Is there anywhere else I can look?? Could I live in a college dorm? (I'm 26/f). Medical students that need a quiet roommate and a reduction on their rent??

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm getting desperate and I'm running out of ideas. Any help would be utterly grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:02 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,431,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidlemon View Post
I've replied to about 30 Craigslist ads this week and have gotten zero responses!! I customize those emails too so I don't sound like a spam bot. I'm not a party person and I don't even drink or smoke. I have no pets, children or "random guests." I can pay the rent. I really can't see what the hell is going on there.
The vacancy rate in this area is about 3% and new people are moving in every day. Demand is currently greater than supply. By the time renters get to your email, they've already read 50 others just like it.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,794 times
Even when they just posted on the same day?

Again--do you have any other options for me?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,866,849 times
Quote:
If Craig's isn't working for you, I don't know what to say. Still, you can't afford to lose your cool. Stay positive! I know someone who takes in boarders but I can't in good conscience let you get near her.

Edit: Craig's allows a person to actively post their need for a sublet. I have personal evidence to prove that people do in fact read them. Contact me directly and I can also show you a creative way a local artist is looking for a sublet that I've witnessed. I don't know him but he has posted his letter of introduction and business cards at my churches bulletin board. An idea there maybe? And maybe meeting you will dispel any perception I may have about a low tolerance for frustration.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 06-16-2016 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 AM

331 posts, read 322,813 times
I don't necessarily have options for you, but perhaps a bit of advice. There is intense competition and low supply in your slice of the housing market. When it comes to craigslist, everyone uses it to post and look for places to live, so you're sharing that resource with thousands of people just like you. Most craigslist posters work on the first come, first served principle, at least when it comes to sorting the responses. So the first response that comes in that seems decent gets the call. The only way I've made craigslist work for me is to constantly check it for new ads. I'm talking like every ten minutes constantly. As soon as something goes up that seems reasonable, respond. Don't think it over, don't go have a snack, don't sleep on it. Just respond. Your goal is to be the first email that hits their inbox after they post the ad.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:57 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,866,849 times
Riffing on the wisdom of post #5: Option number 3 of the linked article outlines using a service called IFTT to get Craigslist to text you whenever someone posts to a category that you are tracking. FWIW

How to Buy a Concept Rower for $250)

Old 06-16-2016, 11:02 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,381,519 times
Default well...

Quote:

Not sure if you have tried posting your own 'rental wanted' ad on CL or not. It's worked for us in the past.
Worth a shot.
Koale

Old 06-16-2016, 11:13 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,431,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Edit: Craig's allows a person to actively post their need for a sublet. I have personal evidence to prove that people do in fact read them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Not sure if you have tried posting your own 'rental wanted' ad on CL or not. It's worked for us in the past.
Worth a shot.
Koale
Good idea. One of my housemates just transferred to Seattle and he posted an ad looking for a room up there and it worked for him. And when I have rooms available, I look at those ads as well.

OP, you mention looking for a sublet. Are you just looking at sublets specifically, or are you looking at room shares as well?

Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 AM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
On the sublet issue, very few landlords will allow a sublet, and a sublet isn't going to be low rent even if you can find one.

I don't know what roommates are looking for, but I'm a landlord and I could care less that you like to ski, you collect matchbook covers, how much you love the beauty of the area, or what brand of beer you drink. What I want to know is do you have a job and earn enough to pay rent. I want to know if you smoke, drink, or dope. I want to know if you have pets AND WHAT BREED THAT LOVABLE DOG IS. If you havea dog don't gloss over and fail to mention except in the sidebar where there is a tiny line that says dogs OK. Seriously, if I see a "friendly dog" without size and breed, I automatically assume it is a pitbull.

Say how many people in your group. There are a lot of families out there looking who fail to mention that they will have 3 kids in the room with them.

Maybe a roommate would love to have a friend who also collects matchbook covers, but he is still going to want to know if you can pay the rent and whether or not you smoke. Try to think what questions a landlord would ask you and answer those in your ad.

No matter how desperate you are, don't say so. I automatically assume that anyone desperate is being evicted or they are so awful that not one wants to be near them.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
Quote:

Same day is no time at all, my former Portland landlord would get around 30 calls in one HOUR when he posted a vacancy on CL.

Have you tried asking around where you work? Word of mouth is the often key to obtaining many things in Portland. I was able to get an apartment that way several times when I was living in Portland. In my experience, a good reference from someone the landlord knew is a big plus.

My last apartment in Portland never even made it to CL where the landlord usually posts his vacancies. My friend was a tenant in his building and knew I was looking for an apartment. When the landlord just casually mentioned one of the neighbors was moving she immediately recommended me for his apartment. He interviewed me and offered me the place that same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland