Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:55 AM

320 posts, read 416,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
I'm not sure if the museum as a whole would be considered kid-friendly (depends whether the kids are museum-friendly!) but the kids' programs would definitely be appropriate. I'm so glad Enchanted Forest is still around; that is such a cool and strange place. Another road trip you could try (if you haven't already) is Bend. Lots to do, and such a different environment than west of the Cascades... though maybe too much like California to seem that novel? Southern Oregon has things to see and do too, though maybe a little too far to be a weekend excursion. Anyway, glad you're having such a great time!
Thank you! We went to Bend on a road trip up here in 2011. It was great. We had considered moving there for a minute....but it was just too Isolated for me! Plus, I just love this area and all it had to offer. I would like to get back out there and explore some more though. Eventually I want to get to Crater Lake, and my son, who is obsessed with Dinosaurs, would love to visit the Painted Hills. We still want to go to Tillamook factory, and explore some more spots on the coast. I would love to take a wine tasting tour with some friends out in the Willamette Valley as well. The list goes on and on for things to explore!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 12:30 PM

13,019 posts, read 7,397,399 times
Better start making plans to do wine tastings during the harvest season. Which will happen, NOW.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:04 AM

2,514 posts, read 5,005,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No more Macheesmo Mouse, Herfy's or Artic Circle regarding fast food places. I don't think the last two are very missed though.
Arctic Circle still exists, they're just not in Portland anymore. They have two locations in Oregon now - Woodburn and Newport. Most of their stores are in Utah and Idaho.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Arctic Circle still exists, they're just not in Portland anymore. They have two locations in Oregon now - Woodburn and Newport. Most of their stores are in Utah and Idaho.
I didn't know that, thanks. Next time I'm visiting the Portland area or at the coast, I'll have to drop in for old times sake.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:32 AM

270 posts, read 323,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Thank you! We went to Bend on a road trip up here in 2011. It was great. We had considered moving there for a minute....but it was just too Isolated for me! Plus, I just love this area and all it had to offer. I would like to get back out there and explore some more though. Eventually I want to get to Crater Lake, and my son, who is obsessed with Dinosaurs, would love to visit the Painted Hills. We still want to go to Tillamook factory, and explore some more spots on the coast. I would love to take a wine tasting tour with some friends out in the Willamette Valley as well. The list goes on and on for things to explore!!
Bend is pretty isolated, I agree. I don't think I ever actually went to John Day, but I had always wanted to (still mean to do it sometime, in fact). If you find yourself on the southern coast (maybe on the way to Crater Lake?), as a kid I loved Prehistoric Gardens (Welcome to the Prehistoric Gardens) and your son probably would too. It's between Gold Beach and Port Orford. Classic old 1950s roadside attraction, but a quality one; you walk a trail through a dense forest and look at the many life-sized statues of dinosaurs. It's at once corny and impressive. The dinosaurs are HUGE and of good quality; they were "scientifically accurate" back in the day but look charmingly old-fashioned by today's standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland