Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 PM

125 posts, read 152,162 times

Advertisements

Deformation Front ..Ridge, plate.. It’s the bottom end of the action. 'Doubt' is everyone’s choice, though. My family had a good run in the PNW, glad they took the chance ..though we Europeans have never experienced what’s in store, and Native tribes along the shoreline were wiped out…

I’ve many a friend, even family member’s still in denial over this relatively new info. Just glad my daughter’s both took some serious geology classes, turned me off from the OR coast, and graduate college this Spring ..before heading out, too.

It’s one thing to be in personal denial, but when industry begins to doubt their safety & investments in the region ... there goes what little economic opportunity you've got.. But someone was right - far cheaper land prices, and lots more open space

I’ll not bother anyone further with such ‘updates’ ...but can’t help but be concerned ...even @ 3K away ~

Old 12-08-2016, 10:41 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,609,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregone View Post
Deformation Front ..Ridge, plate.. It’s the bottom end of the action. 'Doubt' is everyone’s choice, though. My family had a good run in the PNW, glad they took the chance ..though we Europeans have never experienced what’s in store, and Native tribes along the shoreline were wiped out…

I’ve many a friend, even family member’s still in denial over this relatively new info. Just glad my daughter’s both took some serious geology classes, turned me off from the OR coast, and graduate college this Spring ..before heading out, too.

It’s one thing to be in personal denial, but when industry begins to doubt their safety & investments in the region ... there goes what little economic opportunity you've got.. But someone was right - far cheaper land prices, and lots more open space

I’ll not bother anyone further with such ‘updates’ ...but can’t help but be concerned ...even @ 3K away ~
Do you think if NorCal, OR, WA, and BC had the infrastructure and building codes of, say, Japan, you would have stayed? Or would you continue to think we are still "in denial" about the earthquake threat, and, by extension, the millions of Japanese, Chileans, Thais, etc. are also "in denial" about the dangers off their coasts?

I'm sorry, but your comments come across as if you have a huge superiority complex.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Do you think if NorCal, OR, WA, and BC had the infrastructure and building codes of, say, Japan, you would have stayed?
No. The Asian subduction zone is active, like a moving conveyor belt. The PNW is jammed, building pressure. If you monitor the ‘ring of fire’ quakes, you’d notice one relatively small area that’s excluded from from the rest, the PNW… There’s no way to protect the infrastructure of the PNW from the duration and magnitude of what’s coming...

Quote:
Or would you continue to think we are still "in denial" about the earthquake threat, and, by extension, the millions of Japanese, Chileans, Thais, etc. are also "in denial" about the dangers off their coasts?
One of those nations attempted a failed land-grab that would have given their people an ‘escape.’ It didn’t work, thus, they’re trapped. Here ..there are other places to go. Eastern Oregon would be far safer. Or, the Canadian Shield, basically the US Dakota's. Heck, even California would be safer. Or my preference, the entire Appalachian Mountain Chain...

Quote:
I'm sorry, but your comments come across as if you have a huge superiority complex.
And yours come across as passive-aggressive. This is real. Some will understand, and act; others will suffer the consequences. Their/ your choice

Old 12-09-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
There's always a worst case, though, and the worst case might not happen during our lifetimes. My wife and I love the PNW. I spent 25 years in the South, and they're dealing with drought, brutal summers, and wildfires. We have family here in the PNW. We're nearing retirement age, so the probability window for an M9 quake for us is narrowing. We probably will stay here and take our chances. We live in Beaverton, and someone pointed out that FEMA is going to help Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro, and the other highly populated areas before they help more rural areas. My point is that you need to evaluate your own situation, where you are in life, what your risk tolerance is, and make an informed decision. If I were 25, I'd probably leave the region. At 58, I'm more likely to take my chances.
...we’re nearly the same age, and I ‘get it.’ And now I’m ‘in the south,’ but the fires are out The summers are brutal, unless you gain some serious altitude. I’ve family from the 1800’s in the PNW, from WA to OR, and was born in Portland. Headed for the Oregon Coast, Coos Bay/ North Bend is magnificent, I began looking into Sunami setbacks before stumbling onto the latest info on the 'cause of the wave'… I also stumbled onto a Sunami/ Quake description commissioned by the Bay City (OR) city council that was chilling, though as accurate as anything I’d read to that time. Drives to the coast, through the mountains.. never felt the same.

It’s not me, or my time left ..or even a fear of death. It’s that of my family. Those, like myself, fortunate to have grown up in a magnificent place ... and the idea of them investing in the region, deepening our roots, that’s the major reason I’ve left..

But I’ve given up ..explaining the move to others ‘back home.’ With my father in Pacific City, or ‘sunami central’ as I call it, and my mother in Portland, it remains difficult... But with daughters considering their futures, and plans to leave, it all added up, for me. As your post also stated, ‘the big one will eventually hit,’ I hope it’s another 300 years off. But now we know, it will. Take care ~

Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
And yours come across as passive-aggressive. This is real. Some will understand, and act; others will suffer the consequences. Their/ your choice
They were straightforward questions and you answered them. No passive aggressiveness here.

You clearly think it's your responsibility to warn anyone and everyone who will read your posts that there's such a catastrophic danger that those of us who do not move immediately are "in denial." Don't you think it possible that some of us are well informed of the danger (hardly in denial), have weighed the chances, and do not find the danger compelling enough to leave?

Enjoy the Appalachians--that's a beautiful part of the country too, with barely any seismic danger.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:18 PM

As my handle reads ..I’m Oregone… In order to describe why this native O is now many miles away, I’ve sent the following links to family & friends - because I care ~

Regarding our subduction zone earth quake, here’s a ‘great’ article from Willamette Week Quake-Up Call - Willamette Week -- describing what Portland can expect...

Bay City, Oregon mayor’s report (left column): Earthquake, tsunami and fire safety in Bay City - this one get’s graphic, but a tribute to little Bay City’s Mayor for having the courage and foresight to warn her town ...as many would rather ‘shoot the messenger’ than heed the message...

Likely the ‘best’ article and description of the latest research and synario is right here: The Giant, Underestimated Earthquake Threat to North America | DiscoverMagazine.com - this article had been recomended by a Portland Firefighter who’s part of their ‘emergency responce team’ - which he described as a ‘total joke’...

...and for any left in denial of the danger ..ya got me wondering ... just what you’re doing here

Old 12-09-2016, 01:42 PM

We agree that everyone should be aware of the danger. Nobody knows more about the danger than Prof. Chris Goldfinger at OSU. He's a smart guy who is anything but in denial about the danger and yet he continues to work in Corvallis and I'd imagine he lives close to OSU too. He and many other university geologists and USGS employees continue to live and work in the PNW.

If anyone should take anything from this debate it is to become aware of the danger and make a decision that makes the most sense for you, your family, and your risk tolerance. If you choose to move away, great. If you choose to stay, take steps to prepare. There are many resources online that help you put together items you need. I hope we never need ours. I hope our earthquake retrofitting never gets put to the test.

You've looked at the situation and made a decision that makes sense for you. Good for you.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:28 AM

32,539 posts, read 47,631,897 times
Yeah, there is going to maybe be an earthquake. So what? There will be an earthquake or there will not be an earthquake. If there is one, it might cause extensive damage, it might not. It's a waste of energy to live all hysterical about something you have absolutely no control over and that is not scheduled.

The volcanoes in Oregon might erupt again, or they might not.

Where are you going to live where there won't be any disaster type event? No tornadoes, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no fires, no asteroid collisions?

If and when there is an earthquake in Oregon we will deal with it. Not run around like panicked chickens with out heads cut off, even well before the event even occurs (or not)

Old 12-15-2016, 03:48 PM

810 posts, read 846,782 times
There have been a lot of very small earthquakes up on Mount St Helens lately. Does it mean an eruption is going to happen soon? Probably not but who can say for sure. best to be prepared with food and water and an emergency family plan.

If it happens it does cannot be stopped or avioded if you live here so by get all freaked out and paranoid about it?

Old 12-15-2016, 05:29 PM

13,019 posts, read 7,400,835 times
Quote:
...we’re nearly the same age, and I ‘get it.’ And now I’m ‘in the south,’ but the fires are out The summers are brutal, unless you gain some serious altitude. I’ve family from the 1800’s in the PNW, from WA to OR, and was born in Portland. Headed for the Oregon Coast, Coos Bay/ North Bend is magnificent, I began looking into Tsunami setbacks before stumbling onto the latest info on the 'cause of the wave'… I also stumbled onto a Tsunami/ Quake description commissioned by the Bay City (OR) city council that was chilling, though as accurate as anything I’d read to that time. Drives to the coast, through the mountains.. never felt the same.

It’s not me, or my time left ..or even a fear of death. It’s that of my family. Those, like myself, fortunate to have grown up in a magnificent place ... and the idea of them investing in the region, deepening our roots, that’s the major reason I’ve left..

But I’ve given up ..explaining the move to others ‘back home.’ With my father in Pacific City, or ‘ tsunami central’ as I call it, and my mother in Portland, it remains difficult... But with daughters considering their futures, and plans to leave, it all added up, for me. As your post also stated, ‘the big one will eventually hit,’ I hope it’s another 300 years off. But now we know, it will. Take care ~
My sister now has the PC home. It's at a FEMA safe zone elevation. Mom was pretty smart in house selection. I figure that if the Tsunami comes from the north of the Cape, all is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland