U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 09:01 PM

28 posts, read 26,471 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We're moving to Hillsboro in a couple weeks. I've talked to friends in the area, but I'd like to ask you lovely unbiased, well informed group a few questions.

1. What's the weather like vs Portland? Generally warmer in the summer? About the same? Higher chance of snow?

2. What are your favorite local restaurants. We love all ethnicities.

3. Our house shares a fence with Noble Woods Park. Have you any experience exploring that park?

4. I've heard that there are several farmers markets, which do you recommend?

5. The library looks gorgeous. Do they have events for children?

6. Anything that you think I should check out? We have 4 kids (ages 2, 6, 9, and 12). We homeschool so we have lots of time to explore our new location

Questions not related to Hillsboro. Where is your favorite pumpkin patch? Christmas tree farm, and place to see Santa (I would like to avoid malls, if possible)

Thank you so much guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,805,526 times
Welcome to Washington County. I'm not unbiased, but I wish you a happy time and a good outcome.

1. About the same.
2. Gyro House. Works best if you phone ahead for take-out. Great Middle Eastern. Also, Chennai Masala for the dosas.
3. No.
4. We went to the one in Tanasbourne or Orenco, thought it was nice. Generally with farmer's markets the problem is parking is such a zoo. They never hold them in a location that actually has parking places.
5. I think you can almost count on that.
6. Speed limit signs. You do not want to speed in Hillsboro, or anywhere in suburban Washington County. Also, if your house has ever had a security system, don't die of shock if you immediately get a certified mail from the Sheriff's office accusing you of a false alarm, strongly suggesting you buy an alarm permit. If you look at the letter to see the date of alleged infraction, and you notice there's nothing there, don't die of shock from that either. It's a shakedown. You will have to marshal the necessary documentation and proof to show that you could not possibly have caused a false alarm. It's a very nice area, but I stay far far away from its police in any form.

I don't know about pumpkin patches. There are Xmas tree farms all over rural Washington County. No idea on Santas since my involvement there is politely declining the annual requests for me to play St. Nick.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:52 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,865,271 times
I use this calendar to check the happenings in the libraries I may be in the area of. Just click the little box of your local branch.

https://calendar.wccls.org/MasterCal...rCalendar.aspx

Old 10-11-2016, 11:10 PM

9,785 posts, read 10,356,138 times
1. As already mentioned, they are one and the same for all practical purposes.

2. No longer in the area, but India Palace (25th [28th?] and Cornell) was good. McGrath's is in Beaverton but IMO Beaverton has more and better restaurants than Hillsboro, and Portland... Portland is ... amazing... you will be there to eat, often. Hope you brought lots of money, they don't give it away...

3. Passed it many times (going to McGrath's) but never stopped in. Looks... woodsy... yawn... Schute Park is where you want to spend time with kids. Just saying.

4. The one at City Hall has both a weekend and a weeknight schedule. Tues night and Sat morning as I remember it. Live music on Tues.) Often good.

5. As I was leaving town, the branch at Schute Park was re-opening after a multi-million dollar renovation. Should be amazing for kids. You are probably as far from the Main Headquarters on Brookwood, as the Schute Park location.

6. You will definitely want to get everyone registered at the Aquatic Center at... Schute Park. Amazing facility. There is nothing like it in Multnomah County. Sigh...

Old 10-12-2016, 08:33 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,048,345 times
1) The weather may vary by only a few degrees either way. It can be a couple of degrees warmer or colder.

2) Gyros House was a good idea - even their pizzas are good.
Swagath's Indian restaurant at Orenco Station has a great buffet.
'New HIllsboro' (north Hillsboro in the Orenco-Evergreen-185th regions) have lots of restaurants to choose from. Old Hillsboro (downtown, south side), not so much. And the city is full of Mexican eateries but I can't think of one that I really like.

3) Not familiar with that park.

4) Three, and they each have their own characteristics. I prefer the one on Saturday mornings downtown because it concentrates more on produce and food, and some crafts. The Orenco one is good, too, but focuses less on fresh produce and more on prepared foods, and less crafts. The Tuesday Night Marketplace (only for a couple of summer months) is more of a draw for prepared foods and music - something for people to do on a weeknight.

5) I have not been to the new library. I go to the one in Beaverton since it's close to my job (and it's worth visiting).

6) Throughout the year always stay on top of events in Old downtown Hillsboro where there are events like the Holly Days when they light the Christmas tree, or St Paddy's Day parade (often rains, though), and Celebrate Hillsboro, which can be fun. You're not very far from Seaside, the Oregon Zoo is just a Max ride to get there.

A great Santa will make a one-day appearance at Hale's Restaurant (TV Hwy in Hillsboro) on a Sunday in December, but I'm not certain of the date yet. I will post later when I find out. The restaurant feels lucky to have him.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:41 AM

82 posts, read 124,271 times
I don't know much about Hillsboro but when our son was younger our favourite Pumpkin Patch was Lakeview Farms in North Plains. Here is a link: Home. There are several good ones along SW Roy Rogers Rd. in Sherwood as well (not too far from Hillsboro).

Both Rood Bridge Park and Jackson Bottom Wetlands are great places to take kids exploring. You should also check out the Rice Museum of Rocks & Minerals: https://ricenorthwestmuseum.org/ if your kids would like that kind of thing.

Have fun exploring Washington County!

Old 10-12-2016, 05:35 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,048,345 times
Santa at Hale's Restaurant: 12/11, which is a Sunday from about 10 to 12. He doesn't provide photos but you can take as many as you want on your own, and the kiddies love the guy.

I forgot to mention pumpkin patches but there are a few good ones in the Hillsboro-Greater Wash Co area. Now, Roloff Farms is crazy busy, and they charge a nominal fee for parking. But there are all kinds of fun activities there for the kids and, of course, can pick their own pumpkins.

The Rice Museum was an excellent suggestion.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:13 PM

810 posts, read 658,400 times
Noble Woods is a nice little park. I havent been there for quite a while though.

Snow is rae lots of rain in the fall and winter, occasional wind storm. Today is a lovely day with lots of rain and wind this afternoon.

I lived in Hillsboro and really liked it. A good park is Turner Creek

Old 10-13-2016, 02:25 PM

28 posts, read 26,471 times
Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thank you so much for these responses. I truly appreciate your time to answer. I plan to respond to each post soon, I've just been so busy. Our move is about a week away!!

Old 10-13-2016, 06:14 PM

2,767 posts, read 3,307,855 times
Welcome to the area!

1. When I think Portland, I think "downtown". From my experience and about where you're going to live, it can get colder than other areas due to the cold air exhaust (or whatever it is) from Intel. For example, when I lived in Lake Oswego, it was about a 5 degree difference, not much, but enough for lots of ice to form (winters have been warm lately, so probably don't have to worry about that yet).

2. I like Yuki's for sushi (and Japanese food) and Zab Thai for thai and next door is Gyro House Mediterranean Grill. I've had the two vietnamese places on Imbrie (near the Starbucks), but I dunno, I didn't feel like it was anything special. I preferred the smaller restaurant as the food tasted more authentic to me (the larger one tasted more "american" or "fusion").

3. Nope, but I pass by it and always wish I could live in it.

4. I haven't been to any local ones. You'll have to post if you like some. I tend to go to the one at PSU.

5. I don't have kids so can't answer, but I do see a lot of activities in the Hillsboro newsletter.

6. No suggestions

I went to Furrow Farms last year for a tree. I've never been to one before, so I really can't say anything about it. I liked it for what it was. It was busy, not a lot of help, per se, but I guess I was there to chop down my own tree. Haha. Their cows were on Grimm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland