Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:37 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,851,831 times

Advertisements

I don't think the majority of dog owners are irresponsible - and I understand (SF anyone?!) the issues of gentrification and increased population density (if you read the urban plan, most of portland is zoned to be as dense as it is becoming- one of the exceptions is Brentwood - Darlington actually where they are planning to disallow splitting of lots to keep the "nature " of the neighborhood)...

I am just saying part of smart growth is planning for peoples dogs as well as their cars, people may actually be more drawn to a development that takes dogs in account...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 08:19 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,881,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
I don't think the majority of dog owners are irresponsible - and I understand (SF anyone?!) the issues of gentrification and increased population density (if you read the urban plan, most of portland is zoned to be as dense as it is becoming- one of the exceptions is Brentwood - Darlington actually where they are planning to disallow splitting of lots to keep the "nature " of the neighborhood)...

I am just saying part of smart growth is planning for peoples dogs as well as their cars, people may actually be more drawn to a development that takes dogs in account...
I agree about creating appropriate areas for dogs to poo and pee but unfortunately there is not much we can do about the entitled residents who aren't respectful and I think it's a larger amount of people than you do. I think Portland is attracting entitled new residents and their dogs come with. Sigh. My solution is hat the city of Portland starts putting barriers around trees in high traffic areas because hoping bad owners will change is unlikely. The problem seems to be getting worse... not better. And BTW, it's common to find doggie poo bags in recylcling bins and garbage cans which sucks especially in the summertime.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,522,113 times
If apartments are going to allow dogs, they should provide a place for them to pee and poop.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:53 PM

8,250 posts, read 6,307,346 times
I'd worry a lot more about all the bums all over the place.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:22 AM

32,499 posts, read 47,468,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
If apartments are going to allow dogs, they should provide a place for them to pee and poop.
Apartments can no longer keep dogs out. If it is no pets allowed, the tenant simply claims that the dog is a service animal or an emotional support animal and federal law says that the landlord must allow the dog and without a damage deposit. Fines for not permitting the dog are enormous and the landlord is vulnerable to an expensive lawsuit for turning the dog dosn.

There isn't much that can be done about self-centered entitled persons, but I think the city of Portland is making a serious zoning mistake by not requiring parking with new apartment buildings and, apparently, by not requiring a waste area for pet walking. Not that entitled people would use a designated pet area.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:23 AM

32,499 posts, read 47,468,261 times
If you put a barrier around a tree the dog doesn't pee on the tree, the dog pees on the barrier.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you put a barrier around a tree the dog doesn't pee on the tree, the dog pees on the barrier.
Yes that's what the barrier is for. I saw an interesting red barrier around a tree in my husband's recent pics from his NYC trip. I think homeowners are fed up.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Apartments can no longer keep dogs out. If it is no pets allowed, the tenant simply claims that the dog is a service animal or an emotional support animal and federal law says that the landlord must allow the dog and without a damage deposit. Fines for not permitting the dog are enormous and the landlord is vulnerable to an expensive lawsuit for turning the dog dosn.

There isn't much that can be done about self-centered entitled persons, but I think the city of Portland is making a serious zoning mistake by not requiring parking with new apartment buildings and, apparently, by not requiring a waste area for pet walking. Not that entitled people would use a designated pet area.
I remember when I first started going to SW Waterfront years back and the park was very nice. Now that the condos are full of owners and apartments are constantly leasing, the dogs are abundant and the park reflects that. "No dog" signs have popped up all over the area and this is where I saw a jerk and his small dog come out of a fancy high rise apartment building and watched the dog pee on the side of the building with jerk's permission. "Good, Fido". Portland is like a any popular city right now where everybody and their cousin who moved here thinks their dogs need to go everywhere. This is not just Portland but our trees need to be protected. Obviously , this a pet peeve of mine.��

Old 10-27-2016, 10:56 AM

3,025 posts, read 1,648,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I think the problem is lack of appropriate green space exclusive to dogs to do their business AND many dog owners are deluded into thinking their dogs are children.

Man, oh, man, do I agree with you there!!!

Old 10-27-2016, 11:27 AM

270 posts, read 322,884 times
If new complexes are eliminating green spaces, that concerns me beyond just the dog pee/poo issue. Knowing Portland metro (unless things have changed), I strongly suspect that if a serious, organized citizens' group were to frame this as an urban greenspace/urban tree canopy issue-- make the dog part secondary in case it's too inflammatory-- and push for some type of law requiring X type of new construction to include Y number of square feet of green space and Z number of trees, something might get done. If you guys are serious about this kind of thing, give it some thought. See if you can get some high-profile environmental groups on board. Start something. I think it would be great.

Quote:
Would it be within federal law to require proof of service animal certification, or at least a (legit) doctor's note saying the person requires a service/emotional support dog? Airlines are supposedly starting to crack down on fake emotional support animals, so the tide may be turning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland