Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:03 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,852,708 times

Advertisements

Hi all, newer here but my Portland friends assure me that Portland has historically been very dog friendly, people love their dogs (ex the recent carjacking that left the dog dead, had the couple responsible arrested in short order after it was Facebook posted)...

I don't think its just the dog owners problem to solve as we all suffer- especially around the messy park situations-
what do people think are solutions-

I for example think that those new apartment complexes should have have a greenery strip as part of the complexes, just like some developments have their own parking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:15 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,882,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Hi all, newer here but my Portland friends assure me that Portland has historically been very dog friendly, people love their dogs (ex the recent carjacking that left the dog dead, had the couple responsible arrested in short order after it was Facebook posted)...

I don't think its just the dog owners problem to solve as we all suffer- especially around the messy park situations-

I for example think that those new apartment complexes should have have a greenery strip as part of the complexes, just like some developments have their own parking!
There needs to be a green space just for dogs. Also, I have seen structure around trees being built in other cities so dogs cannot pee on the trees. I don't trust many dog owners to do the "right thing". I have lived in the Portland area for almost seven years and I think it's a certain kind of "entitlement" that makes dog owners disrespect their neighbors' properties and public spaces. Dog owners try to take their dogs into the mall now. Dogs ride in strollers. I think the problem is lack of appropriate green space exclusive to dogs to do their business AND many dog owners are deluded into thinking their dogs are children. So the solution is not only providing appropriate areas for dog waste but also some kind of tree barriers in places like The Pearl and SW Waterfront.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:24 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,414,308 times
Plus, city dwellers should not have bigger breeds like Labs and Golden Retrievers.

A nice little pug or small terrier or something would be a better fit.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Plus, city dwellers should not have bigger breeds like Labs and Golden Retrievers.

A nice little pug or small terrier or something would be a better fit.
Yes, it's unbelievable how many highrise condo dwellers have big dogs and they tend to go to he nearest convenient spot, overloading the spot with pee from two BIG dogs. My small dog goes in my little yard on a pee plant(a discarded plant from my garden in its plastic container) that I can toss and replace. He pees on green space plants and trees but it's just to mark his territory so it's a small amount of pee.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:10 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,491,061 times
There really isn't much that can be done for irresponsible pet owners. And I see it all the time. Now, to be sure, most people are pretty good about cleaning up after their pets, but there will always be that 25%...

Old 10-26-2016, 02:57 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,604,679 times
It is an age-old problem. I was in Paris in the early 90s and there was dog poo everywhere on the sidewalks. I guess Oregon is turning French! Wineries and doggie doo-doo. But most of those looked like they were from small dogs.

While I also get the feeling that Portland has always been friendly to pets, the phenomenon that Yankeemama brings up, bringing dogs EVERYWHERE, seems to be something pretty recent. It is really tiresome to me. I do not like the idea of dogs in the grocery store for example.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:07 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,852,708 times
i def don't need to bring my dog into the grocery store with me (although she does like a trip to home depot)-
I do have to point out as a woman alone in the city (previously SF) my dog kept me feeling safe- after an incident in 1994 whereas a man chased me in the park at 10am in the morning while I was on my morning jog- my 45 lb pit bull kept him off of me (barked at him and bit his pants leg) allowing me to outrun him-
he was wearing binoculars and I recognized him from standing in the parking lot in front of the women restrooms at Stowe lake earlier that am (SF GG park)...

Dogs are not just fancy accouterments.... not in my book anyways, but I do think housing and city design could reflect this better...
(I saw on Utube a dog going pee in a special walk in shower set up made for him in the basement, which I think is a fine idea)...

I have never been a little dog fan my self...and have always had the big ones- our condo had a large shared yard / and everyone in the building did use it for their dogs.
Now in Portland am glad to have a large yard, but most dogs do enjoy (and with the working breeds NEED) the extra stimulation of walks too...

Old 10-26-2016, 04:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,326,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post

I am just shaking my head over your last statement.

Of course you are right and I agree with you 100% but you see, those "greenery strips" you are talking about used to exist in many places where those new apartment complexes now stand. There were many grassy strips and even bigger spaces in my former Portland neighborhood along and near Hawthorne Blvd. But they were covered over with those new gigantic buildings. Every inch of green space around around them. More apartments, more profit.

It's too late now to reclaim these spaces buried under concrete and cement. And I seriously doubt that this method of plowing under will cease.

You weren't around at the time this happened but here's a prime example. Notice the little green space, almost a tiny pocket park at the end of the street in the second photo. Also, the houses and some apartment buildings used to have grassy side yards where people grew gardens. All gone.

Historic Houses Replaced by 77 Units | The Portland Chronicle

I don't remember the dog crap situation ever being such a large problem before these spaces were taken away. It's also a combination of that and the many newcomers crowding into these large buildings that's the problem. Even if the dog owners are diligent in picking up the poo, you can't pick up urine and the few reaming small strips of grass can't absorb it all so they stink.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am just shaking my head over your last statement.

Of course you are right and I agree with you 100% but you see, those "greenery strips" you are talking about used to exist in many places where those new apartment complexes now stand. There were many grassy strips and even bigger spaces in my former Portland neighborhood along and near Hawthorne Blvd. But they were covered over with those new gigantic buildings. Every inch of green space around around them. More apartments, more profit.

It's too late now to reclaim these spaces buried under concrete and cement. And I seriously doubt that this method of plowing under will cease.

You weren't around at the time this happened but here's a prime example. Notice the little green space, almost a tiny pocket park at the end of the street in the second photo. Also, the houses and some apartment buildings used to have grassy side yards where people grew gardens. All gone.

Historic Houses Replaced by 77 Units | The Portland Chronicle

I don't remember the dog crap situation ever being such a large problem before these spaces were taken away. It's also a combination of that and the many newcomers crowding into these large buildings that's the problem. Even if the dog owners are diligent in picking up the poo, you can't pick up urine and the few reaming small strips of grass can't absorb it all so they stink.

Many of the new dog owners take their dogs onto people's lawns to poop and also throw their dog poo bags( filled) onto people's lawns. Saw this in inner NE Portland and heard about it happening often from neighbors and parents at my kid's school. This is a more recent trend and you will notice signs saying "No Pets", "Curb Your Dog", and "No Dogs" on lawns out here in Beaverton. I think it's because a lot of newcomers think it's acceptable to trespass onto their neighbors' properties to let their dogs poo several feet from the front doors of their neighbors. I also have noticed dog owners letting their dogs pee on the side of homes and upscale apartment buildings in Portland. Bad dog owners also let their dogs poo in school playgrounds. So, the problem, in my opinion, is too many bad dog owners being given too long of a leash.

Last edited by Yankeemama; 10-26-2016 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-26-2016, 05:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,326,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Many of the new dog owners take their dogs onto people's lawns to poop and also throw their dog poo bags( filled) onto people's lawns. Saw this in inner NE Portland and heard about it happening often from neighbors and parents at my kid's school. This is a more recent trend and you will notice signs saying "No Pets", "Curb Your Dog", and "No Dogs" on lawns out here in Beaverton. I think it's because a lot of newcomers think it's acceptable to trespass into their neighbors' properties to let their dogs poo several feet from the front doors of their neighbors. I also have noticed dog owners letting their dogs pee on the side of homes and upscale apartment buildings in Portland. Bad dog owners also let their dogs poo in school playgrounds. So, the problem, in my opinion, is too many bad dog owners being given too long of a leash.
That is true of dog owners in my former SE Portland neighborhood. Our small apartment building has a courtyard and a large backyard shared by a duplex and six-plex also owned by the same landlord. Ever since the large new apartment buildings were built, people have been taking their dogs into the courtyard and the back yard to do their business.

My friend who lives there actually came out to talk to a dog owner who she had seen allowing his dog to poop in the courtyard several times. She politely told him it was not the place for him to take his dog to poo. He was very rude to her. He made some comment like "There's no other place for him to go and there is grass here." She watched him as he and his dog went into the big apartment building down the street.

The landlord put up "No Trespassing" signs in both the courtyard which is exposed from the street and the backyard which is not. It hasn't helped.

Overcrowding and the sense of entitlement among some newcomers seems to be the problem. It would seem that just because they live in high rent apartments, they believe the entire neighborhood is literally at their disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland