Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:12 AM

83 posts, read 102,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Since I followed a rather unconventional method, I am not sure what is the recommended method, but if I had to guess I'd say start with the ODL. That way when you go get the emissions test, you have the temporary, and they can connect their dots. Connecting their dots is important to the DMV. Then when you bring in your ODL and emissions test pass to register your ride, citizen, there won't be anything else you need.

If you vote, good news is OR is all vote-by-mail, and you will be registered by default with getting your ODL unless you specifically opt out.

One more thing: the cops' ticket-writing finger is quicker in Oregon about running yellow lights. I think the rule is if it turns red while you are still in the intersection, they get you. So whatever your reflex has always been on 'making the light,' I'd dial it back. You might think this all sounds crazy paranoid, but this is really the most helpful stuff I can tell you and much of it is based upon our household experience. Plus, I don't want the local police getting any more unjustified revenue than necessary.
That's good to know and I can assure you that it doesn't sound crazy. The cops where I live are actually quite similar but maybe not as bad.

That's great news about voting, I'll definitely be participating.

How bad is the DMV in Portland? In Houston, if you have to go to the DMV it's like the worst thing ever. The lines are incredibly long, the people are rude, and it's just a terrible half day experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Not sure what the commute would be to downtown, but definitely look into Bethany. It's a nice area, newer housing, the main road is busy, but it's quieter area in general. Downtown w/o traffic would be about a 15-20 min drive depending how far into Bethany you are. Commute wise, not sure. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Lastly, sorry, I must have missed the west Portland part. That or I assumed you meant the west side of Portland Metro. Haha. oops.
I'm guessing this is a new development type area? I don't see any houses for rent and we prefer a house over an apartment so my dog can have a small backyard.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:21 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothewolves1099 View Post
How bad is the DMV in Portland? In Houston, if you have to go to the DMV it's like the worst thing ever. The lines are incredibly long, the people are rude, and it's just a terrible half day experience.
The one up around Cedar Mill was crowded and unpleasant, but not the half day experience you describe. You may find that you like our DMV by comparison, though I and most locals consider it no great picnic.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
The other thing to know about driving in Oregon is that our police take speed limits seriously. In my experience you have a 5 mph grace unless you are in a residential or school zone where it is strictly enforced. There are speed cameras in some communities (Beaverton, for example).

Another oddity, at least in the City of Portland, are lanes for cyclists. It took me at least a month to figure that system out. Even then it seems that cyclists are regularly involved in serious accidents. Traffic rule wise cyclists are the worst violators IMHO.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:02 AM

Anyone care to comment on state taxes? That is certainly new for me. According to the tax calculators I found online, I'll be paying A LOT of $$$ in state taxes. I'm assuming you get a refund like you do for federal taxes? What percentage do you usually get back?

Old 05-31-2017, 12:36 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Anyone care to comment on state taxes? That is certainly new for me. According to the tax calculators I found online, I'll be paying A LOT of $$$ in state taxes. I'm assuming you get a refund like you do for federal taxes? What percentage do you usually get back?
That depends on how much you paid in, so it's not answerable at this point. I think our state income tax is about 9%. Property taxes are high, too. You have to send in your Federal return to the state, so they get to know everything about your financial picture. What's amazing is that Oregon's right down there in terms of education in spite of the high taxes.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
What order do you recommend?

Get omissions test, take test to get drivers license, and then get plates? Or do you go take test for drivers license and get the plates at the same time?
IMHO, get everything together, all documentation and then go to DMV to take the test and get your DL. I did it all in one shot at DMV. Also, they only take cash or check. I think I waited 30 mins, and was there for about an hour total. DEQ I was in/out within 10 mins. This is NOT normal from what I'm reading, but I also went to a smaller DMV (Lake Oswego) and a less busy DEQ (Sherwood).

Registering your vehicle
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/page.../titlereg.aspx

1. Get your title.
DMV needs that so they can register/title your car in OR. In CA (where I came from), it was a 28-day minimum and I had to deal with the fact that I had a lienholder. Yikes! So make sure you know what is going on in your home state as it can take some time.

2. Get your emissions test and VIN check
Go to any DEQ station during off hours and it shouldn't be too busy

3. Register and title vehicle at DMV
They'll most likely give you your stickers and plates right there

Getting your DL
1. Get your proof of SSN, residency, you, etc
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/Page...d/idproof.aspx

2. Fill out online application and print

3. Take test at DMV

4. Get photo taken

5. Get temp DL

6. Perm DL will come in the mail

Old 05-31-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
That depends on how much you paid in, so it's not answerable at this point. I think our state income tax is about 9%. Property taxes are high, too. You have to send in your Federal return to the state, so they get to know everything about your financial picture. What's amazing is that Oregon's right down there in terms of education in spite of the high taxes.
Hopefully the zero sales tax will help offset some of the additional state tax I'll be paying.

My federal tax combined with not having any dependents is already through the roof..it's unbelievable.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
It all just depends on what you're claiming and what your deductions are. Have you looked at this?

https://www.adp.com/tools-and-resour...alculator.aspx

You could run it for annual, then plug that into a tax estimator. I come from CA so taxes are higher there, for the most part. I noticed here, I can claim 1 (state and federal) and get money back. I think I can claim 2 for federal and get close to breaking even. Whereas in CA I had to claim 0 (state/fed) just so I wouldn't owe anything. My taxes were using standard deductions.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing this is a new development type area? I don't see any houses for rent and we prefer a house over an apartment so my dog can have a small backyard.
I'm not sure how new it is or not, but it's not brand spanking new. Also, we have very few rentals available in the entire area and things that do come up, go very fast. I think Bethany is probably booming right now, especially for the newer transplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland