Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 01:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,449,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
BTW, you say the climate is a draw for you. All I can say is that the climate here is popular with almost no one outside of the glorious summer months. People that live here long term have become used to and tolerant of rain and overcast skies. We just had our rainiest February ever (probably one reason why the pothole haven't been filled). I go to tanning salons once a week to maintain my mental health.
In the olden days, Portlanders used go here for winter sun!
Used to be a very popular place, and you could sleep in teepees!

http://www.kahneeta.com/gallery.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 AM

65 posts, read 68,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
This incredibly long thread began as a result of a one inch snowfall in December that happened to be a perfect storm for Portland. It was well predicted, but happened to start around 2pm, which was too late to close schools and everyone was already at work. When the snow started sticking to the roads, everyone hit the road at once and Portland's normal heavy traffic became gridlock when multiple major routes became impassible (particularly US 26 west of downtown). Stories abounded of people stuck in their cars for 8 hours or more. All from one inch of snow. They had spread Magnesium Chloride on the roads, but it proved ineffective. Conditions were much better on the Washington side of the metro area, where they use rock salt.

Just as this thread was about to lose steam, Portland experienced its biggest snowstorm in many years. The woefully under prepared transportation department was exposed as the roads in Portland stayed snow covered for over a week, including the freeways. As people began to drive around on the snow covered roads, they became icy, rutted, bumpy hellscapes, with pedestrians and other obstacles strewn about. There was basically no plowing done, even on the major routes (82nd Ave really sticks out in my mind).

After the snow finally melted, the roads basically fell apart, developing some of the deepest potholes I've ever seen. I have busted two tires on potholes since this happened a month and a half ago (luckily, Les Schwab covered the damage, otherwise, I would have been out $320). They have made little headway in filling the potholes.

This was an extraordinary year for winter weather in the Willamette Valley. Usually, we get either nothing at all or a very small coating that melts almost immediately. Every 5 or so years we get a major snowstorm. However, the rest of Oregon gets tons of snow all the time. Studded or winter tires are basically mandatory if you live in the Gorge, the mountains, or Eastern Oregon. In those areas, they don't use salt, and they've been spreading pea sized gravel for as long as I can remember.

BTW, you say the climate is a draw for you. All I can say is that the climate here is popular with almost no one outside of the glorious summer months. People that live here long term have become used to and tolerant of rain and overcast skies. We just had our rainiest February ever (probably one reason why the pothole haven't been filled). I go to tanning salons once a week to maintain my mental health.
Sorry not gonna sit here and let you deliberately misinform people

Magnesium chloride is MARGINALLY less effective because it's a hexahydride salt. It's not enough to account for the differences you claim. It's not the magnesium's fault, it's the application of it that was improper.

I like that all the people saying to use rock salt are the ones that have never had a car in the rust belt. Sorry, you have absolutely no right to talk about it when you haven't experienced it.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:47 PM

333 posts, read 328,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTomJones View Post
Sorry not gonna sit here and let you deliberately misinform people

Magnesium chloride is MARGINALLY less effective because it's a hexahydride salt. It's not enough to account for the differences you claim. It's not the magnesium's fault, it's the application of it that was improper.

I like that all the people saying to use rock salt are the ones that have never had a car in the rust belt. Sorry, you have absolutely no right to talk about it when you haven't experienced it.
A) All I said is that they spread Magnesium Chloride on the roads, and it was ineffective. I didn't comment on why it was ineffective. Nor did I comment on the magnitude of it's ineffectiveness. All I know is that it didn't work. My guess is that since the Magnesium Chloride is so much more expensive than salt, they were stingy with it.

B) I have owned cars in salt states. I would not recommend the kind of wholesale salting that they do in other states. But I'm all for it in problem areas like Sylvan Hill.

C) I think people have a right to talk about anything they want. If the people here want them to salt, then they should have a right to express that, regardless if they've lived in a salt state or not.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:26 AM

2,659 posts, read 3,854,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamapoet View Post

I'm considering a move to Oregon / Washington area in the future. The climate, the people, and the coast are all a draw for me. The suffocating intolerance in the South has been too much for a long time. The only thing that kept me here was a previous relationship, and family. Quite frankly, the reasons to leave are outweighing the reasons to stay at this point.
Off point - but certainly don't look to Portland for "tolerance."

Old 03-13-2017, 10:53 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,125 times
This thread has degenerated and outlived any usefulness. It is now closed.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Off point - but certainly don't look to Portland for "tolerance."
so true!!!

Salt or no salt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland