Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:35 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times

Advertisements

Why was the Women's March thread closed but this one is not? Hmmm...

Old 01-22-2017, 04:57 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Why was the Women's March thread closed but this one is not? Hmmm...
Politics.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:26 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Here's another history lesson -- the Boston Tea Party participants believed in the right to own slaves, the subjugation of women, and a whole lot of other rights specific only to that day's equivalent of "men in suits." You couldn't even own property in their America unless you were a "man in a suit." ETA that's meant figuratively just for those who don't get the analogy.

Not having a march permit or a designating a specific route gave the cops all they needed (another history lesson -- cops in riot gear didn't exist in the Boston Tea Party days). It was a stupid move that seemed deliberately designed to result in Portland's usual cluster. The march yesterday did nothing to further your cause. If anything, it just made you look bad -- again.
Show me WHO in the Boston Tea Party believed in the right to own slaves. I know about Jefferson and Washington. But they were Virginians. The BTP was people from Massachussetts. So I'm thinking you are up against it finding historical support to naming BTP participants who believe what you say they believe.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Politics.
Seriously, how is this thread still going but the Women's March was closed when we weren't arguing? The Portland Pilice and City Of Portland should be interested that the moderators here want to keep talking about violent protests but don't want to show the world that peaceful marches are possible here in Portland. Why is this thread about violence still going? Something is wrong. NYC Forum and Los Angeles Forum haven't closed their Women's March threads.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
Show me WHO in the Boston Tea Party believed in the right to own slaves. I know about Jefferson and Washington. But they were Virginians. The BTP was people from Massachussetts. So I'm thinking you are up against it finding historical support to naming BTP participants who believe what you say they believe.
It took about three minutes to find historical support for the fact that Massachusetts was one the New England states with a large slave owning population both prior to and after the Revolutionary War (even if I hadn't already learned that information in school). Ten-percent of Boston's population was comprised of slaves, and the city was a major slave trading port. Please spare me any further "history" lessons.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-22-2017 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 10:05 PM

48 posts, read 57,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It took about three minutes to find historical support for the fact that Massachusetts was one the New England states with a large slave owning population both prior to and after the Revolutionary War (even if I hadn't already learned that information in school). Ten-percent of Boston's population was comprised of slaves, and the city was a major slave trading port. Please spare me any further "history" lessons.

Zero slaves in Massachusetts by the 1790 census-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1790_United_States_Census

Old 01-22-2017, 10:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I think this is illustrative of why Wikipedia isn't considered a reliable source. Scholarly sources tell a different story, and one of them touches on the difficulty of determining actual numbers of slaves in Massachusetts because they were listed as servants on census reports when they were slaves in actuality. That makes sense because abolitionist sentiment was becoming increasingly well represented in Massachusetts and because a series of legislative and legal events essentially rendered slavery illegal although it was still practiced. Finally, the Wiki census date is from 1790, and the time frame in question was specific to the Boston Tea Party.

Slavery in Massachusetts

Slavery in Massachusetts – History of Massachusetts Blog

Slavery in Colonial New England | Arlington Historical Society

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-22-2017 at 11:15 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 10:45 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Seriously, how is this thread still going but the Women's March was closed when we weren't arguing? The Portland Pilice and City Of Portland should be interested that the moderators here want to keep talking about violent protests but don't want to show the world that peaceful marches are possible here in Portland. Why is this thread about violence still going? Something is wrong. NYC Forum and Los Angeles Forum haven't closed their Women's March threads.
I was hoping it was just temporary, but it appears not to be the case. I didn't have anything to add to the thread, but I did appreciate some the information provided by you and others that attended. Perhaps a senior Mod can be queried.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:48 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
I'd put it down to the number of accounts bickering back and forth in said thread over the same thing vs this one. Plus the outrageous and morbid claims that probably were reported and drew attention. Though the very title of this thread is a troll post they've since orphaned it leaving it open for discussion.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I'd put it down to the number of accounts bickering back and forth in said thread over the same thing vs this one. Plus the outrageous and morbid claims that probably were reported and drew attention. Though the very title of this thread is a troll post they've since orphaned it leaving it open for discussion.
At the end of the thread we were all saying very positive things about the March especially the non- violence so why is this thread still open? Both events are over and this thread has splintered all over. Makes you scratch your head. The largest city forums such as LA and NYC still had their threads on the Women's March open so what is going on with Portland. The moderator won't get back to me. Closing a thread when everyone is getting along seems like censorship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland