Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:27 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times

Advertisements

Actually Christine Gregoire is Washington states governer, and she is not Asian, but White. Just to let ya know!
http://media.nwcurrent.com/images/Gregoire_Christine.main.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:14 AM

11 posts, read 47,552 times
Ftclements, have you or your husband had any apparent incidents of racism yet? My wife is of African American heritage and I am Asian/White. We are considering relocating to Portland at the end of the year. We currently live in Central Washington which is less than 1% black and asian both! The area is about 70% white, and 30% hispanic here. She and I both are commonly mistaken for being Mexican from both groups! Although there is some racial tension, it's mostly of the 'mean stares' and 'talk behind your back' type.

We were originally going to move to the Seattle/Tacoma area as we are familiar with it... but there are many things about Portland that make it appealing to us. Lately I have been trying to dig up the dirt on the area just so we know what to expect. I've been hearing a bit about racist attitudes in the area, but only from the internet. I have a couple of friends in Portland who want us to move on down and have never mentioned a thing... but then again, they are white and wouldn't notice things like mean looks and snotty attitudes that aren't meant for them.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 27,606 times
Default Yes, we've experienced it....but it's everywhere

[quote=succotash;have you or your husband had any apparent incidents of racism yet? My wife is of African American heritage and I am Asian/White. We are considering relocating to Portland at the end of the year. "

Succotash, Yes, we have experienced it (the stares, the startled responses at times, the clutching of purses, the comments about having luxury cars), but it's no worse than anywhere else. As Black persons, my husband and I realize it's a part of life, a part of America, and frankly, it's everywhere. You have to learn that it's something you don't become desensitized to, but you ackowledge your feelings to your friends and family and don't let it handicap you.

You realize that some people are like that and unless they have regular contact with the group they are prejudiced/racist against their views will not change. The only way to truly get rid of these negative thoughts about others is to have exposure and open mind. On your part, just be willing to talk about it with your friends (Asian, Black, white) to raise awareness.

So, if you really want to move to a place, (unless it's like certain places that still have that unwritten "Sundown" rule), then go for it and see for yourself. Remember, your experience may be quite different from mine.

Think about it, Portland used to be a Sundown town, but now it's a pretty liberal type/progressive place. Things will change in time.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you and your husband arrive in Portland? Job transfer/relo perhaps?

To answer your question, yes.

Off the top of my head, I can probably think of a 1/2-dozen other cities you might have possibly been happier with (Denver, Austin, Kansas City, Nashville or Memphis, DC perhaps, etc.).
Why do you feel we'd be happier at those places? Just based on the race demographics? or the sunshine factor? Please clarify.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:31 PM

[quote=atlantagreg30127;3035700]Well, you make ME want to pack up and leave Atlanta and move out there, now! Heck I'll put up with gray skies in place of traffic, smog days, and crime. LOL

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly do you mean by Portland being an "acquired taste"? Heck don't leave it at that - tell us! LOL.

Touching on a touchy subject, is it race-based? I mean, you moved from a majority-black city to a majority-white city - is this what you mean? I once had a coworker who visited a relative out there (she was black) and she went nuts over the fact that there were relatively few black people there. She was born and raised in Atlanta and had traveled very little in her life. It really freaked her out to the point that she said she "hated" Portland, but she wasn't really the "kum-ba-yah" type of person either and wasn't one to embrace other nationalities, so maybe the culture shock was too much.

quote]

Hmm, it's not that it's race-based. It's a mentality thing. Even the black Portlanders have a different flair to them. It's hard to describe...maybe I'll be able to articulate it as time progresses. Maybe it's the hippiness factor. I describe Portland as the anti-NY. I love NY (even with its issues)! It's slower paced,NY is faster paced; NY feels ultra competitive, Portland seems to have this super "whatever"/laid back attitude; people are rude for no reason in NY and people are approachable in Portland; NY is about high fashion, people go out in their pajama pants A LOT in Portland (to Best buy, grocery store, even restaurants).

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the "Kum-ba-yah" part. That Granola-land thing in Portland is so different than I am used to. However, a difference between your friend and me is that I love experiencing other cultures and traveling to other parts of the world, so I love to learn about other cultures.

It's still a bit of a culture shock to me when I go out and we are the only black persons in the vicinity. Things are so different in theory vs. in practice sometimes. We did our homework and looked up the stats at the US census and Wikipedia: OR is 1.9 black, and portland is 6.6% black, etc. But experiencing it is different. Just takes getting used to.

Honestly, I think we would have a different view of Portland if we lived near the action, we like being near the young professionals who are open-minded. Right now living in the suburbs where every couple is older, has 2-4+ children, etc. is not cutting it for me. I think I might've reacted like this in the suburbs of Metro-Atlanta as well. So, I don't think it's fair for me to say it's a "Moving to Portland thing." We live living in a place that has a community feel to it; where people come out when the sun is shining (like 23rd, the Pearl, etc.) It's more of a city vs. suburb thing. We lived in the city in ATL...there's a different feeling living in the city. It's more ALIVE. You tend to meet people who are at your life stage. So, even though I know the ethnographics of Portland won't change anytime soon, I think we might move closer to the city and have a more real city of Portland experience.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
I can identify to the being further out part...when we first moved here we lived in semi-outer SE and were going crazy. Once we moved downtown it was like a different world and I feel like I'm in a different city. I hope you find a place closer in and I think you'll have a much better experience!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:23 PM

35 posts, read 119,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Actually Christine Gregoire is Washington states governer, and she is not Asian, but White. Just to let ya know!
http://media.nwcurrent.com/images/Gregoire_Christine.main.jpg (broken link)

ok..lol. before her was Gary Locke, so wasnt that far off.

Last edited by bclark3434; 03-24-2008 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 03:34 PM

[quote=Ftclements;3093066][quote=succotash;have you or your husband had any apparent incidents of racism yet? My wife is of African American heritage and I am Asian/White. We are considering relocating to Portland at the end of the year. "

Succotash, Yes, we have experienced it (the stares, the startled responses at times, the clutching of purses, the comments about having luxury cars), but it's no worse than anywhere else. As Black persons, my husband and I realize it's a part of life, a part of America, and frankly, it's everywhere. You have to learn that it's something you don't become desensitized to, but you ackowledge your feelings to your friends and family and don't let it handicap you.

You realize that some people are like that and unless they have regular contact with the group they are prejudiced/racist against their views will not change. The only way to truly get rid of these negative thoughts about others is to have exposure and open mind. On your part, just be willing to talk about it with your friends (Asian, Black, white) to raise awareness.

So, if you really want to move to a place, (unless it's like certain places that still have that unwritten "Sundown" rule), then go for it and see for yourself. Remember, your experience may be quite different from mine.

Think about it, Portland used to be a Sundown town, but now it's a pretty liberal type/progressive place. Things will change in time.[/QUOTE]

*****************my response to this is below. for somereason it makes like i typed this quote. Bclark3434***********************

Old 03-24-2008, 03:36 PM

[quote=bclark3434;3238705]
Im from Chicago and a White male. I have lived in Portland just over 20yrs. my Son is 23 years old, has dated a African Ameican from age 19 to 21 and is now with a Asian women. Before that, he always had a white girlfriend. When he started to date other races, it became a bigger eye opener for me and seeing just how racist people really are. I grew up on the South Side of Chicago and Whites were doing just as many bad crimes as the AA(African American), but in society they did not look at is as bad when we did stuff. My Older sister was beatin and rapped by a white guy in Bridgeport(just ouside chicago) where we lived, But the people in the community would flip out if someone black would come driving through or walking down the street. I felt from that point that im not going to be ignorant with racism. Chicago has so much to offer and fun to visit, but its sad cause the city is REALLY segregated!! I find Portland much freindlier, but very discreet about what they feel and think. Ive had friends and Co-workers, who met my sons girlfriends. They would smile and be polite, but once their backs are turned, faces are made or they will say to me, "How do you feel about that?" In Chicago, the people would be up in their face about what they feel. You can call it a good or a bad thing. I feel the point im trying to make is, Portland does have racism, but its not up in your face. Its a white town that does not have many minorities in high positions like, Chicago,Houston,Dallas,Atlanta,D.C,Baltimore,Phila delphia,Cleveland,N.Y,Oakland,San Francisco and New Orleans. Excluding the Bay area, the other cities i mentioned do have segregated communities, unlike Portland, but better opportunities for minorities. As far as the state of Oregon goes....If youre AA,Portland and the out skirts (Beaverton,Aloha,Gresham,Clackamas and Milwaukie) are good. You would not want to live in Southern Oregon pass Eugene though. Roseburg, Grant Pass, Medford are really racist. I know and heard horror stories. Ashland is another story. Its a college town by the California border, very nice and diverse. Whats funny is, its a few miles away from Medford and different from night and day.

[+]

Old 03-25-2008, 04:02 PM
wtg

15 posts, read 76,971 times
My suggestion would be to move into the city proper. Granted I've only been here about six months, but from what I've seen Beaverton, Hillsborough and all the other suburbs could be found outside of any metro area in the country. Hope that doesn't sound too much like an urban-snob comment...but the great thing about Portland (at least that I've seen) is its fantastic, living, vibrant neighborhoods all throughout the city. I feel like I can hop in my car on any day, start driving and end up in some interesting and unique, totally self-contained community. I just recently found myself in Sellwood by accident and loved it. But you find these neighborhoods everywhere--it's like Portland is a city comprised of dozens of small towns. Some of my other favorites: Clinton Street, Alberta, Mississippi. There are tons, it's just a matter of exploring.

As for being a minority here: I'm white so can't really comment on that, but I can say, coming from a very diverse city back east (DC), I was shocked by how segregated Portland is. It's a bit unnerving because it's just so completely different from the community I spent most of my life in. I'm sure it's doubly so for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland