Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:29 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Passed today, I do understand its only in effect until october as an "emergency measure"
New York City's current rent control laws were instituted as a "temporary emergency measure" -- in 1943. World War II was the alleged reason for the "emergency" rent control.

World War II ended 72 years ago. NYC's "temporary" rent control laws are still in effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Because they are popular with the residents.

There are ways for developers to escape those NYC rent control restrictions, and they do that.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:21 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Not many rent control buildings left in New York.

https://www.nakedapartments.com/guid...ent-regulation

Last edited by Minervah; 03-06-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Not many rent control buildings left in New York.

https://www.nakedapartments.com/guid...ent-regulation
Not according to your link. Not if you read it carefully, and understand what it says.

It says that about 2% of NYC apartments are "rent controlled" -- but another 50% are "rent stabilized." That's 52% -- a majority.

Rent stabilization is another form of rent control. Two sets of laws, passed at different times (to cover different sets of buildings), so they were given different names.

But rent "controlled" or rent "stabilized" -- the effect is the same. Limiting the amount of rent increases, and making it hard to evict tenants.

I know these things, because my late father was a NYC landlord.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Because they are popular with the residents.
Sure they're popular with the majority of voters (i.e., tenants). People love to vote way a minority group's (i.e., landlords) rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
There are ways for developers to escape those NYC rent control restrictions, and they do that.
Thank God for that. May it always be so.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:50 PM

393 posts, read 359,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's illegal under the Oregon constitution and it is privatizing welfare. Not that Portland cares about private property rights.

For the homeowners in Portland, I think maybe you aren't going to like it. No cause notice to vacate is how landlords get rid of problem tenants. So now if you get a bad tenant in a rental in your neighborhood he is there to stay. Your landlord isn't going to pay $4,000 to get rid of your tenant neighbor who has a dog that barks all night or kids that run up and down the street screaming and vandalizing until 11 PM every day. If the tenant next door is rebuilding cars in his driveway and it make the neighborhood look trashy, get to love him. He isn't going to be leaving.

If the tenant next door moves in 5 cousins and they take up all the parking on the road, too bad, find another place to park your car. He's staying there. The landlord isn't going to pay $4,000 to get rid of him because he doesn't fit in well into your neighborhood. You are struck with the entire clan, no matter if they sit outside drinking beer all day.
It sounds like the things you are mentioning would be in violation of the lease agreement and so you can just not renew the lease with them or boot them after documenting infractions. There are already laws for noise, vandalism, etc. Am i the only person in the country who knows the number to the police department?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
After looking at rentals online for months.

Reading ton of reviews from former tenants about the no cause evictions being used to renovate and raise the rents.

Also reading the insane increases in rents well over 10% a year where landlords say take it or leave it. We can charge that much because the market is crazy right now.

I've just felt sick to my stomach about the lack of renter's rights there.

Even if it is temporary it's something for now to let things hopefully cool off and rest a bit, but come October when the emergency measure expires it's game on again for capitalists unless it's extended.

That's only 8 months away and the rental market traditionally turns over in June when the schools let out for the summer anyways.
Sick to your stomach?! Renters shouldn't have rights, you don't own the property! If you want "rights" you can own your own freakin' property! You have the right to rent somewhere else, that's the right you have. Otherwise you don't have a pot to **** in.

Of course a landlord is going to raise rents to reflect market pricing. Sometimes, that's going to be 10% per year, because guess what? Property prices are going up more than 10% per year, so in fact 10% would be a LOW raise. Get used to it buttercup, that's the market!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:36 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
True and --- In some markets, landlords may have to drop rates to meet market demand. No one feels sorry for the property owner when that happens (And no one should). Landlords are the people with the risk and skin in the game.

The renter?? The renters are people who have chosen to live with a short term horizon as opposed to a long term plan. They HAVE CHOSEN to not be in control of their destiny. Not our problem. They HAVE CHOSEN that lifestyle.

Fake concerns expressed for people who don't deserve it.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:22 PM

199 posts, read 217,339 times
I'm against government intervention in rental business; however, I'm for enforcing existing contracts. If there is a contract between a renter and a owner, the contract should be honored to the fullest unless one of the sides fails to deliver on their end. Saying that "renters have no rights" is not only idiotic but it is also immoral.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:46 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
I'm against government intervention in rental business; however, I'm for enforcing existing contracts. If there is a contract between a renter and a owner, the contract should be honored to the fullest unless one of the sides fails to deliver on their end. Saying that "renters have no rights" is not only idiotic but it is also immoral.
Sure but that is covered under Contract law. I do not think anyone is arguing against fair contract enforcement. I think most issues of concern have to do when the contract is over. For some reason , an inordinate amount of people in Portland; Oregon and on CD forum, seem to think the rights of renters exist beyond the contract. They don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland