Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 02:17 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,893,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
That sounds like it was in the 90's (or close to it) for weeks to me! Especially with a over a week of 90°!

I think Yankeemama meant that her house in Beaverton was hotter inside than her old house in NE Portland because she doesn't have large shade trees all around it.

BTW, the official Portland high and low temps and weather data are collected at the Portland Airport, so the weather in Beaverton could well have been in the 90°'s for two weeks like she said it was.
Yes, thanks, Mike! It is sunnier in Beaverton than my old NE hood, in general, but in summer the sun is hotter earlier in the morning and doesn't stop warming my house literally until late PM. The insulation in new houses makes homes out here almost unbearable when the temps hover below or above 90. Many Beaverton residents put central air in their new homes but we use portable and window AC because we enjoy the summer season and don't want to feel like we are in a grocery store. I didn't grow up with central air as we never needed AC in SF so I can't justify central air. Downside is the house here stays hot until about 2-3 AM. My old house in Portland had a cool basement which was below 70 even during heat waves. We have noticed a huge difference in summer temps here in Beaverton in a well insulated house. These are the things I think are important to discuss here on CD Forum because potential residents should be aware of micro- climates in the area. A few years back my family drove up from CA from our vacation and went to the Whole Foods in Tigard at Bridgeport Village and it felt very tropical like I was on Oahu. We drove to our home in Portland, which took about 30, minutes, and it felt differently when we arrived home. I am just saying that many factors should be taken in consideration when one is deciding where to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 05:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,384,939 times
Wasn't the Beaverton area at one time referred to as "The Banana Belt?"

That was supposed to be because the temperatures were always warmer then in Portland in the summer.

Last edited by Minervah; 03-16-2017 at 06:09 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Wasn't the Beaverton area at one time referred to as "The Banana Express?"

That was supposed to be because the temperatures were always warmer then in Portland in the summer.
I haven't heard of that but I also haven't met many long timers. I know that the soil out here is
supposed to be the best in Oregon told to me by an Oregon farmer. He said that soil came from Montana and has been paved over but anything can grow here. I believe it. During the summer the sun is bright and hot when I wake up and is unrelenting. We have "aquatic centers" out here in many neighborhoods and they are amazing facilities and now I know why. I am not complaining but it is different from most of Portland. Usually when we drive into Portland in July and even August before 10:00 AM the difference in weather is striking. That's less than 11 miles apart. Crazy.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:29 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,636,222 times
I love Oregon (Portland area) and when I was there, I wore shorts even in winter. It doesn't feel that cold to me and I'm from L.A.!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,433,218 times
yeah, we love everybody.

Come on down.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:54 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,636,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
yeah, we love everybody.

Come on down.
Really? Oregonians now accept us Californians?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:07 AM

32,578 posts, read 47,763,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Really? Oregonians now accept us Californians?
There are no Oregonians left in Portland. Nobody there but Californians. Many of them seem to dislike additional Californians moving in.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are no Oregonians left in Portland. Nobody there but Californians. Many of them seem to dislike additional Californians moving in.
There are plenty of old time and "born and raised" Portlanders left but sure, some hoods are transplant heavy like my old hood. My old hood had lots of mid- westerners, East coasters as well as Californians.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,861,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
ummmmm no

theres a whole segment of my (transplanted 25 years and some) partners friend circle that are native, born and raised and still here, raising another generation- its mainly those that have/ bought/ acquired housing and were able to attain gainful employment- and most don't commute past a few miles or so....
(forgot to remention our neigbors- hes in his 90s and proud to say born here, and spent 68 years in this neighborhood, his mother in law died last month, 2 door down, at age 99, her grandson lives in the house now, and her niece nextdoor. Awesome, I love bringing this up!)...

Oh and my dad, who had a lovely 2 week visit with us here in the SE(rain notwithstanding), was born in Newburg, lived there til age 11... he liked it here just fine, I think he will be back (says life in FL with the other grandkids family, is "too mundane"- he will trade the shorts and tshirt weather anytime- lol)...

Oh and I lived in Australia til I was 10, so..... sorry to blow peoples prejudices....

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 03-17-2017 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland