Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 07:05 AM

119 posts, read 156,117 times

Advertisements

In So Cal it's endless days of near perfect weather. Blue skies, light breeze, shorts and flip-flops year 'round. Portland is cold, dark, dank and depressing.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
In So Cal it's endless days of near perfect weather. Blue skies, light breeze, shorts and flip-flops year 'round. Portland is cold, dark, dank and depressing.
James, you're funny!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,429 times
We were just in Oregon (Coast, Willamette Valley, eastern Cascades). We loved every moment of it, clouds, rain, and all.

If all of the people that hated Oregon would leave, maybe those who love it could afford it more

Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 AM

628 posts, read 818,687 times
Coastal SoCal weather can be nice, not too hot, not too cold, but it's SO BORING. Except for some occasional overcast days in the that quickly burn off, it's nearly all the same. There basically is no seasons and you wouldn't know what time of year it is based on the weater.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:49 AM

356 posts, read 409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
My home in Portland sure isn't cold, dark, dank, and depressing. In fact, looking out the window these days makes it much less so. But James may live in a bad part of town.

Moving companies say that 67% of Oregon moving traffic is inbound. 33% is outbound. Lot of those inbound are coming from SoCal. I guess the endless days of perfect weather aren't enough for them. James may work for a SoCal chamber of commerce, which feels highly threatened by northward migration, and falls back on the same tired words to express disgust at those who leave.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:29 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
Quote:
I didn't know snow was required for a winter to be considered "winter"
From the calendar point of view (yours) you don't need snow to call a season "winter"

Otherwise, please match the descriptions in 1) 2) 3) with months in A) B) C)
1) No foliage, 45 degrees, it's been raining for weeks
2) No foliage, 45 degrees, it's been raining for weeks
3) No foliage, 45 degrees, it's been raining for weeks

A) Mid-November
B) Late-January
C) Early April

Portland, Maine has a 4-season climate. Portland, Oregon does not.

Quote:
If all of the people that hated Oregon would leave, maybe those who love it could afford it more
We have left indeed. Unfortunately (for you), for each person aware what a dump Oregon has become and leaving, there are 3 fools moving there. For those, look very, very nearby (ex. mirror), and then blame them for the real estate prices.

Last edited by skiffrace; 04-22-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 11:41 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decayed View Post
Actually sunshine makes a lot of people depressed, me included, and it's clinically documented. I am living in SoCal and everyday I have to face the awfulness of unbridled sunshine. It rains less than 20 days per year here and for those few days it rained people would make it an "event" and "headline news".
I prefer the constant cloudiness and overcast weather. Good weather is cloudy drizzling weather mixed with the occasional tropical storms. Sunny weather is downright suicidal and cancerous.
So interesting to me. I have never lived in Cali or Oregon but I absolutely HATE clouds. Three days of cloudy weather and I'm wishing I was dead. But I have had friends who always kept their blinds drawn and rarely wanted to get outside on beautiful sunny days so now I'm wondering if they became depressed from sunlight? I would love to live somewhere that is bright and sunny the majority of the time, but that is not over populated and over developed. Best options have always seemed to be Santa Fe or Colorado but both are prohibitively expensive. Although I plan to visit Oregon at some point to experience the green and the natural beauty, I know without visiting I could never live there. I love blue cloudless skies and bright sunlight. I can never get too much.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:27 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
From the calendar point of view (yours) you don't need snow to call a season "winter"

Otherwise, please match the descriptions in 1) 2) 3) with months in A) B) C)
1) No foliage, 45 degrees, it's been raining for weeks
2) No foliage, 45 degrees, it's been raining for weeks
3) No foliage, 45 degrees, it's been raining for weeks

A) Mid-November
B) Late-January
C) Early April

Portland, Maine has a 4-season climate. Portland, Oregon does not.

We have left indeed. Unfortunately (for you), for each person aware what a dump Oregon has become and leaving, there are 3 fools moving there. For those, look very, very nearby (ex. mirror), and then blame them for the real estate prices.
My cousin lives in Portland, Maine as her mother's family are sixth generation Mainers. She told me that a few years back they had very little snow but the snow that is on the ground for months is left from one snowstorm and the low temperature keeps the snow on the ground. Yes definitely cold in Southern Maine during the winter but it's not always snowing. Their Spring and Fall are also less pronounced as they once were when my aunt was growing up and she says that it feels like the four seasons is turning into two seasons.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
So interesting to me. I have never lived in Cali or Oregon but I absolutely HATE clouds. Three days of cloudy weather and I'm wishing I was dead. But I have had friends who always kept their blinds drawn and rarely wanted to get outside on beautiful sunny days so now I'm wondering if they became depressed from sunlight? I would love to live somewhere that is bright and sunny the majority of the time, but that is not over populated and over developed. Best options have always seemed to be Santa Fe or Colorado but both are prohibitively expensive. Although I plan to visit Oregon at some point to experience the green and the natural beauty, I know without visiting I could never live there. I love blue cloudless skies and bright sunlight. I can never get too much.
There is SAD which affects people who are affected by constant sun and anxiety rather than depression is the issue.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Coastal SoCal weather can be nice, not too hot, not too cold, but it's SO BORING. Except for some occasional overcast days in the that quickly burn off, it's nearly all the same. There basically is no seasons and you wouldn't know what time of year it is based on the weater.
I find it boring but most of my friends and in-laws that live near the ocean in CA are very happy there and think my husband and I are crazy to live in the Portland metro. Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland