Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 11:01 PM

320 posts, read 417,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I would love to live in Oregon, especially Portland. The rain is not something to be so depressed about but it is something to embrace and enjoy especially since we don't get enough of it here in Los Angeles, not even near enough. Anyone that complains about constant rainfall probably has other unresolved issues in their life.
I don't know about the unresolved issues part, but I definitely agree with you that rain is not something to be depressed about! I embrace it! It's the reason Oregon is so green and beautiful. The air is so clean and refreshing after a good rain. I think I have reverse SAD...the constant oppressive heat and sun make me depressed! SAD is a real think here though, so for some, depression comes with the cloud cover. For me, it's quite the opposite!

Old 10-26-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
That's because you aren't at all aware of what its actually like to live in it in Portland. Rain in LA is wonderful, mild and brief. But we don't get the 3 days of 37 degree rain or low grey clouds for months on end. It doesn't bother all people (some like to stay home or are always at work) but some of us seek a lifestyle that is enhanced by good weather.
You're right....Rain IS wonderful in LA and is embraced because it's so rare! LOL It is usually brief, but not always mild. Greater LA is actually prone to flash flooding because it can come very hard and very fast. You definitely don't get 3 days of 37 degree rain and grey clouds for months on end there....instead you will get months on end of 90+ degree temps with out a single cloud in the sky. That kind of heat doesn't bother all people (some like to stay home or are always at work in the AC) but some of us seek a lifestyle that is enhanced by good weather! That 's why we are in Portland! Sorry...had to do it

Old 10-26-2017, 11:15 PM

I worried about rain on Halloween when we moved here, but last Halloween (our first) was nice and dry...beautiful night. It looks like this year will be just about perfect as well. If I remember correctly Last October was much wetter than this one, but still not bad at all. I also remember visiting Portland a few years back before we moved, expecting rain. We were here for 7 days and it was sunny and dry all 7 of them. I'm looking forward to the rain coming back, but I have to say, this October has been pretty much what I always Imagined a perfect, ideal "Fall month" to be! I'm grateful everyday that I am blessed to be able to live here.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:30 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
October there can be beautiful or miserable depending on the year. About 5 years ago we didn't have a single day above 60 and I think it didn't go 48 hours without rain the whole month. That might be great for some people but I'm too skinny to be comfortable like that I guess.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:55 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Default if cost of living was the deciding factor...

Californians would be flocking to the Midwest or South, where the COL is lower than in the PNW.

I plan to move from N Calif to Oregon primarily for the magnificent natural environment, and a local culture that prizes that environment, and a population still small enough that those landscapes aren't crowded all the time.

The lower cost of living is a nice bonus, but not the main reason.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:21 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Let's all revisit this thread in February or March.

I'll bet some minds will have been changed about how nice and refreshing rain is.

It's a lot different when it comes and goes and is interrupted with clear blue skies and sunshine.

When the entire outside world is a chilly 45°F, the ground is constantly wet and soggy, moss and mold is growing everywhere, the clouds haven't lifted for a week (while the sun doesn't rise until 0800 and sets at 430pm), there are no leaves on the trees and Portland looks like it needs a couple coats of paint, opinions change.

Portland is actually not that attractive during the short days of winter.

And when we finally do get a sunny break during the rainy season, expect howling east winds from the gorge and single digit temperatures and maybe snow and ice.

We have a long way to go until May!

Old 10-27-2017, 03:29 PM

I worried about that a bit last year (our first winter and spring here), thinking that I would be sick of the rain come spring.....but honestly, I was fine and it didn't bug me at all. I was worried about my hubby who loves the rain and clouds a lot less than I do, but he was also surprised about how "not a big deal" it was for him. We'll see how we do this year (our 2nd winter and spring here). As far as the snow......don't threaten me with a good time! LOVED IT! So did my kiddos. I hope we get a good dusting again this year

I will admit that waking up when it's still dark out makes it harder to get out of your nice warm bed....but that doesn't last too long. On the bright side, it makes sleeping in on weekends and enjoying a good book by the fire that much more enjoyable.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

I'll bet some minds will have been changed about how nice and refreshing rain is.

It's a lot different when it comes and goes and is interrupted with clear blue skies and sunshine.

When the entire outside world is a chilly 45°F, the ground is constantly wet and soggy, moss and mold is growing everywhere, the clouds haven't lifted for a week (while the sun doesn't rise until 0800 and sets at 430pm), there are no leaves on the trees and Portland looks like it needs a couple coats of paint, opinions change.

And when we finally do get a sunny break during the rainy season, expect howling east winds from the gorge and single digit temperatures and maybe snow and ice.

I agree with you, Mike. I crave contrast in the weather, so the day-in day-out overcast and drizzle can really wear on me by about February. By then the holidays aren't a distraction from the gray anymore.

This past winter we had some variety with the snow, so that was different.

I think the contrast is what folks from the Southwest crave too--so they enjoy the occasional rainy day in winter or spring because the sun can be relentless.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:45 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

Yes, though Downtown Portland and the hilly areas of Portland tend to be pretty even in winter but I agree most of Portland during the dreariest days looks a bit run down.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:31 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
It's been quite a few years since there was more than a misty rain on Halloween, at least here in the burbs.
My friends like to get together for a traditional Halloween bonfire. In the last 20 years it has been wet enough to safely have one just 6 times. The rest of the time it has not been wet enough to be lighting any big fires outside. The fire department is still limiting outdoor burn permits. Winter storms typically don't arrive until November. December is the wettest month. By February we are getting 10 day breaks in the rain, but things don't dry out for good until July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland