Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
How is so cal better than Oregon? They have traffic 24/7, gang crimes, air pollution, higher taxes, higher cost of living, too crowded, you wait in long lines wherever you go...

I don't know... except for the very last item, these are the exact same things people in this forum say about Portland...<shrug>...I'm here for the biking... you couldn't pay me to ride a bicycle 50' in, or around L.A. Go figure, all the amazing places like FL, AZ, CA where you might think it would be great, awesome even, to do the bike thing...no, just no. So I put on the rain gear, and call it Good. Works for me.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 PM

185 posts, read 275,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
I am glad you like south CA. I wish more people would keep liking S. CA instead of moving up here.
You could not pay me enough to live in S CA, where you don't see a cloud in the sky from June until October.

And I think its a good thing people like different places, so people will spread around.

And there is definitely a different culture in S CA than in Oregon. And it would be nice if people from S CA did not expect Oregon to become S CA when they move up here. People that move up and embrace the difference in weather and culture are a lot happier, as are their neighbors that were already living here.

Enjoy your sunshine! I see your point when you add your perspective.
Well said.
I would move back to Oregon in a Heart beat.
Oregon is my home, but recently had to move to Arizona due to limited housing and costs of houses going up.
I miss the rain and trees. I miss the ocean. Maybe when Oregon catches up in it's housing problem, I will be able to come back.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't know... except for the very last item, these are the exact same things people in this forum say about Portland...<shrug>...I'm here for the biking... you couldn't pay me to ride a bicycle 50' in, or around L.A. Go figure, all the amazing places like FL, AZ, CA where you might think it would be great, awesome even, to do the bike thing...no, just no. So I put on the rain gear, and call it Good. Works for me.
I had to kind of chuckle at the bike thing. My first thought was, where did you live in SoCal? Most people I know are mountain bike riders or weekend cyclists through Newport Beach. Tons of cyclists. But you're right, very few people use a bike for actual transportation.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
Very few people want to move from So Cal to Oregon. Those who do, do it for money reasons. Most regret it but moving out of So Cal is a one way street. Too expensive to move back. There is a reason why So Cal is expensive. It's better.
Exactly. I moved back from Los Angeles to Portland for a girl, though, and I've been here for 5.5 years since then. We both hate it here and can't wait to move, but her family is here. Next stop will be Las Vegas for us, much cheaper, rarely ever anything but sunny, and no state income tax. Sadly you couldn't pay me enough to move back to Los Angeles even though I'm in the film industry. The housing prices are ludicrously high unless you quite literally have $20 million. I wouldn't be happy with a home under $2 million there. The high property taxes and even higher income taxes than Oregon make it impossible for me to want to call that home long term. I'd certainly love to pick up a small condo in Burbank for work purposes one day, but not actually be a resident.

That being said, why you'd suffer through Oregon's crazy income taxes and high housing costs is beyond me. For $500,000 in most cities of the U.S. you'd a pretty awesome home. In Oregon you get something very mediocre. Why?! It's an awful place to live! It should be cheaper than average here, not way, way more than average. Good for me when I go to sell my house, I guess, but I feel like I should be living like a king for the money I have in Oregon. One of the least desirable places I can think to call home, unless your only goal in life is to breed and send your kids to "a good school" and do absolutely nothing all day. Because that's what there is to do here. Nothing.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:17 PM

199 posts, read 217,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That being said, why you'd suffer through Oregon's crazy income taxes and high housing costs is beyond me. For $500,000 in most cities of the U.S. you'd a pretty awesome home. In Oregon you get something very mediocre. Why?! It's an awful place to live! It should be cheaper than average here, not way, way more than average. Good for me when I go to sell my house, I guess, but I feel like I should be living like a king for the money I have in Oregon. One of the least desirable places I can think to call home, unless your only goal in life is to breed and send your kids to "a good school" and do absolutely nothing all day. Because that's what there is to do here. Nothing.
Sorry that you couldn't make it here. Not everyone does (it takes skills and brains that not everyone has). Good luck to you in the godforsaken desert. I'm sure it's more affordable for people like you.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 PM

26 posts, read 33,147 times
Actually sunshine makes a lot of people depressed, me included, and it's clinically documented. I am living in SoCal and everyday I have to face the awfulness of unbridled sunshine. It rains less than 20 days per year here and for those few days it rained people would make it an "event" and "headline news".
I prefer the constant cloudiness and overcast weather. Good weather is cloudy drizzling weather mixed with the occasional tropical storms. Sunny weather is downright suicidal and cancerous.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:01 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
I found it ironic that people move to Oregon for the "outdoor" lifestyle. I guess some people are just naturally hot all the time? Its cold 8 months a year here outside. And usually wet during those months. Who's biking to work here since Halloween? Almost nobody

Old 04-07-2017, 12:21 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking.Bigfoot View Post
Well said.
I would move back to Oregon in a Heart beat.
Oregon is my home, but recently had to move to Arizona due to limited housing and costs of houses going up.
I miss the rain and trees. I miss the ocean. Maybe when Oregon catches up in it's housing problem, I will be able to come back.
I was curious if anyone from Oregon had moved to Arizona? I wanted to get their thoughts because it sounds like they are polar opposites. Arizona is sunshine just about every day whereas I hear Portland is not. Is there any place in Oregon where the weather is more balanced?

Old 04-07-2017, 02:04 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I was curious if anyone from Oregon had moved to Arizona? I wanted to get their thoughts because it sounds like they are polar opposites. Arizona is sunshine just about every day whereas I hear Portland is not. ............
Click on these 2 links:

Some say that this winter has been the worst ever. What say you?

Some say that this winter has been the worst ever. What say you?

Old 04-07-2017, 02:44 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
My daughter moved to Portland from the Midwest 4 years ago and has no plans to leave. She hikes and rides her bike year round regardless of weather, and loves the fog in the mountains. When you're use to below 0-degree weather, the rain and snow is a piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland