Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Local people deserve respect. Portland is their "home",not a place where "they have time invested in", as you made reference to SF and to me. SF is my home. Transplants in SF are like the disrespectful transplants here in Portland, as well. So yeah, you were kind of disrespectful to me. I lived in NYC for over 15 years and I have extensive family on my dad's side there but I always respected true NYers. Being a transplant doesn't make you a local, ever. Be respectful especially when locals are getting pushed out. And owning property in a city doesn't make you part of a community. I know 100's of San Franciscans who don't own property but were born, raised and will would die in SF but are being pushed out. Please re-read your own words in your post.
so.... my child, born in SF of people with with streets named after them (like Ellis street for one) will always be a "transplant" because she was moved over 4 counties when she was 10?
I personally dont agree with that kind of thinking.

And as I said, I am not intending to be disrespectful. But, I am out of the last like 4 posters, someone living NOW in Portland, and I am reporting what I see and feel, but whatever-
thats not equal to a "native" who no longer even lives here.
Right.
(so thats the point of these forums, to smack down anyones opinions because they arent native? And sorry I have lovely community in places where I have lived. And still do.
(I do think its important for long term stability to try to buy into your community, if you can. And the more "natives " the better, for the above reasons....)

OK
I think I will sign off for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
so.... my child, born in SF of people with with streets named after them (like Ellis street for one) will always be a "transplant" because she was moved over 4 counties when she was 10?
I personally dont agree with that kind of thinking.

And as I said, I am not intending to be disrespectful. But, I am out of the last like 4 posters, someone living NOW in Portland, and I am reporting what I see and feel, but whatever-
thats not equal to a "native" who no longer even lives here.
Right.
(so thats the point of these forums, to smack down anyones opinions because they arent native? And sorry I have lovely community in places where I have lived. And still do.
(I do think its important for long term stability to try to buy into your community, if you can. And the more "natives " the better, for the above reasons....)

OK
I think I will sign off for a while.
Well, my kids are growing up in Oregon so yes, they are Oregonians. I am not. I moved here after age 40. I am a homeowner and I was a homeowner in Portland and was involved with the public schools and my community. I still am a transplant. Now I live in Beaverton and have kids in the schools. Involved in the community, buy my kids Blazer stuff though I am a Golden State fan. Still a transplant. Because you know, I am not from here. My opinion counts if you want to know specifics about certain subjects but in general, I will not be able to tell you about Portland before I moved here in 2009. I value locals' opinions because they experienced Portland and Oregon as children, coming of age, and can tell stories that I want to hear. I value local experience. Again, it's their home. I respect that. And yeah, I am from CA and I try to go to new places and let others teach me. It's humbling.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Again I'd look at a lot more than just averages. COL matters as well as *your demographic*. Will a Starbucks Barista or Home Depot clerk be making significantly different money in Houston versus Portland? No.

Will a finance professional, CPA, engineer or otherwise have a material difference? I would say absolutely.

I do agree that cycles are cyclical and every city will have their ups and downs economically. However the point I'm trying to make is that there just *arent enough seats at the top* or enough industries to progress quickly. Take a look at the very attitudes on this forum, I bring up $200K roles and folks are acting as if that's some astronomical crazy amount of compensation, when really it's not a big deal.
I'm trying to point out that the new growth isn't in retail or coffee shops. Portland has become a sportswear mecca and also is growing quite the comic book industry. Environmentalists are throwing money into PDX area projects and venture capitalists are tossing in money left and right. The people of Japan like Portland's style and are making major investments.

In 2008, according to the American Family Household study, 5.50% percent of Greater Houston households made 200K, compared to Portland's 4.18%. That was a time when Houston was booming and Portland was slumping.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 04-28-2017 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-28-2017, 05:18 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I'm trying to point out that the new growth isn't in retail or coffee shops. Portland has become a sportswear mecca and also is growing quite the comic book industry. Environmentalists are throwing money into PDX area projects and venture capitalists are tossing in money left and right. The people of Japan like Portland's style and are making major investments.

In 2008, according to the American Family Household study, 5.50% percent of Greater Houston households made 200K, compared to Portland's 4.18%. That was a time when Houston was booming and Portland was slumping.
2008? That was before the Frac Boom era.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:29 AM

810 posts, read 851,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
SF, my hometown, was actually affordable until the mid to late 90's when transplants started pushing out locals. SF was a union town and pretty blue collar. Apple wasn't the problem back in the day but the newer tech companies and the dot commers ruined what older San Franciscans knew and loved about the city. Now it's Manhattan by the bay with mostly transplants "transforming" a city that was diverse, creative, fun, smart and affordable. And 200k for a single person is still considered a good salary in SF as my siblings don't make that much and they are holding down the fort. The traffic, the Uber drivers, the transplants that say, " San Fran and Cali", the love of money... not for me. I was born and raised in SF and now I don't recognize most of the city.
I was born there but only stayed a couple years. I try imagine if my parents had stayed there. And bought a house say right after I was born in 63.

It is a beautiful city and i love to visit. We are planning a visit this summer. But it is so expensive there. We were there last year stayed one night our hotel nothing special was $220. My husbands cousin landed a job at that big web browsing company and he lives in Mountain View which is where I lived :-) Can't remember what he said rent was but it seemed ridiculously high

Old 05-05-2017, 04:35 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
I was born there but only stayed a couple years. I try imagine if my parents had stayed there. And bought a house say right after I was born in 63.

It is a beautiful city and i love to visit. We are planning a visit this summer. But it is so expensive there. We were there last year stayed one night our hotel nothing special was $220. My husbands cousin landed a job at that big web browsing company and he lives in Mountain View which is where I lived :-) Can't remember what he said rent was but it seemed ridiculously high
There are some places to stay closer to the airport and shuttles to BART if you want to save money. A few years ago the SF hotels had more deals but it's gotten crazy. I prefer to stay in hotels because of my son's needs but it's gotten difficult to visit my family because of the cost of flying and hotel rooms now. The drive from Oregon is just too much so finding flights takes time.
I choose to live n Beaverton because life is good here for us. There are less expensive regions of the country but the West coast is home and I am glad I am bringing my kids up in this environment. The Bay Area is indeed changing culturally due to the massive amounts of wealth. For example, at a Portland metro party you hear people small talk about gardening. In the Bay Area... it's about the landscaping. Wasn't like that 15-20 years ago.��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland