Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 08:50 PM

12 posts, read 16,367 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I agree, looking like we'll be Salemites. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Corvallis will be an excellent 'urban' option from Monmouth, If you ever have kids, there are some great country schools for elementary (Mennonite versions, as others too).

McMinnville is great too (more of a 'family town'), You can stay away from traffic, it is not so bad with the bypass (Coastal crowd). This will be a fine choice too (If you prefer more frequent access to Portland, than Corvallis).

For social / events, give all the metros a try and see what best fits you. (Salem, Portland, Eugene)

As a prof, you will end up with friends from other U's spread from Seattle to Ashland, and you will have plenty of places to stay the weekend with friends.

BTW; a few of my good friends and family got a very good education at WOU

Old 04-03-2017, 11:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsAndValleys2 View Post
Yeah, I agree, looking like we'll be Salemites. Thanks!
I liked the area around Bush Park. It wasn't exactly in the downtown core (but it was on the edges); I walked to Smith Auditorium at Willamette U. for symphony performances (weather permitting), to the Salem Library, and to the various activities in Bush Park and Deepwood.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I vote for Corvallis as well. Not a bad commute to Monmouth, not far from Eugene.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Salem is the best choice. Closest access to Portland via freeway.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:32 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Portland is not the end-all. Corvallis and Eugene are college towns with the amenities that go with that. For example Eugene has a strong performing arts and artistic community. College towns are known for supporting their public schools.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Not sure why public schools are an issue here...and the OP specifically wants to be near Portland. Eugene really isn't the same.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not sure why public schools are an issue here...and the OP specifically wants to be near Portland. Eugene really isn't the same.
Yep. And in Salem, they'd have easy access to Portland, Eugene, and Corvallis as well as what Salem itself has to offer. It's a no-brainer.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Portland has more population than Salem. I get that it would have more of many things than Salem. But not more things! If, for whatever reason, a person decided to live in Salem. Hmmm. I can't actually think of any reason why they would need to go to Portland regularly. In fact... when I lived in Salem I went for an entire year without ever visiting Portland. I saw concerts, I went to Orchid Society meetings, visited the Library, Minto Brown park. McGrath's. I actually went to Seattle a couple of times bypassing Portland entirely. But my point is that day to day there isn't a single amenity that a person, even an above average intellect, couldn't find in Salem. Not one thing. It's a fine place to live if you want to live there. Salem does not have the Timbers, but if someone were a hardcore Timbers fan I would recommend that they live in Portland! My point is that a city fails as a home IMO if you have to leave it every day, or every weekend to satisfy key wants or needs.

IMO people really should make more of an effort than they do to live close to their jobs. Really close. Like 10 or 20 minutes close. Walking! You may not actually achieve it, but if you set some standards at the beginning you could come awfully close. Certainly you won't find yourself with a 40 minute drive (on paper) that hardly ever turns out to be 40 minutes, but is actually closer to 60. And requires $100/wk in gasoline. Plus if you live somewhere you feel cannot provide for your intellectual and entertainment needs you will be putting more wear on your car and even more money in fuel to take yourself to emotional fulfillment every week. I'm so glad I married someone like minded. We have a great life living close (very) to our jobs and we happen to live in Portland, but we have lived in another city as well and followed the same principles to achieve far less stress and anxiety about traffic and other stressors than many that post here. FWIW.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:53 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Portland has more population than Salem. I get that it would have more of many things than Salem. But not more things! If, for whatever reason, a person decided to live in Salem. Hmmm. I can't actually think of any reason why they would need to go to Portland regularly. In fact... when I lived in Salem I went for an entire year without ever visiting Portland. I saw concerts, I went to Orchid Society meetings, visited the Library, Minto Brown park. McGrath's. I actually went to Seattle a couple of times bypassing Portland entirely. But my point is that day to day there isn't a single amenity that a person, even an above average intellect, couldn't find in Salem. Not one thing. It's a fine place to live if you want to live there. Salem does not have the Timbers, but if someone were a hardcore Timbers fan I would recommend that they live in Portland! My point is that a city fails as a home IMO if you have to leave it every day, or every weekend to satisfy key wants or needs.

IMO people really should make more of an effort than they do to live close to their jobs. Really close. Like 10 or 20 minutes close. Walking! You may not actually achieve it, but if you set some standards at the beginning you could come awfully close. Certainly you won't find yourself with a 40 minute drive (on paper) that hardly ever turns out to be 40 minutes, but is actually closer to 60. And requires $100/wk in gasoline. Plus if you live somewhere you feel cannot provide for your intellectual and entertainment needs you will be putting more wear on your car and even more money in fuel to take yourself to emotional fulfillment every week. I'm so glad I married someone like minded. We have a great life living close (very) to our jobs and we happen to live in Portland, but we have lived in another city as well and followed the same principles to achieve far less stress and anxiety about traffic and other stressors than many that post here. FWIW.
Good post Leisesturm, so true.
Quality of life is so much better if you live where you work! (In fact for 15 out of the first 20 years in my last city, I walked across the street to work and that panned out in so many ways).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland