Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:46 PM

12 posts, read 16,325 times

Advertisements

Hi helpful contributors,

My wife and I will be moving to Oregon this summer from upstate NY as I got a job in Monmouth. We are mid-30s without kids and tend to like urban environments. I have looked into Salem and got some kind advice from that city's forum, but we want to know more about the possibility of better access to Portland. We prefer walkable neighborhoods and will be looking to rent a 1br in the 750-1000 range. I noticed McMinnville which seems nice but some info I read said traffic there is awful. Any suggestions of exurbs or nice towns/cities that are within 40-45 minutes of both Portland and Monmouth? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:28 PM

846 posts, read 608,073 times
I hope you understand the Monmouth is in the sticks a good 1.3 hours from downtown Portland. Your reasonable options are Salem and Corvallis. I like Corvallis but it I don't think it meets your requirements on urban setting

Old 03-31-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
I hope you understand the Monmouth is in the sticks a good 1.3 hours from downtown Portland. Your reasonable options are Salem and Corvallis. I like Corvallis but it I don't think it meets your requirements on urban setting
Thanks for the response. Of course, at no point would we be driving from Monmouth to Portland -- it would be from New Home to Monmouth for work and from New Home to Portland for getaways. I don't mind a longer commute -- the idea (if possible) is to find this New Home somewhere between Portland and Monmouth. For example I once worked in the sticks in Vermont and situated myself a half hour from the biggest city around (Albany, NY, sadly) and 45 minutes from work. I only head to work four days a week (I'm a professor) so a 45 minute commute is tolerable. That's why I've been researching Portland's exurbs and any potentially nice cities/towns along a major artery since my commute would be reversed from the masses. I would love any more advice -- thanks!

Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,295,279 times
IMO Wilsonville is your ONLY viable choice, but it's nearly an hour from Monmouth. I'm not sure if your housing budget will work there, but you should definitely have a good look see. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 PM

13,049 posts, read 7,465,885 times
Your best bet would be in Salem, West Salem to be more exact along Wallace Rd. City library, grocery walking bridge to downtown, fitness club, river parks. Portland downtown is exactly 45 miles from the Salem bridges. From the bridges, 15 miles to Monmouth. Salem has Willamette University. 2 McMennimans and a 4 other beer brewers. I-5 and Amtrak station.

McMinnville is OK. However you will need to travel on 99 (old indian trail to CA) which has the speed trap at Amity. "Mac" has Linfield College. There is one McMenniman and many wine outlets. Fastest way to get to PDX is not on 99 but to detour to i-5 via Dayton-Woodburn.

we are longterm Salem residence (60+ yrs), retired. Travel to PDX for daytrips. We travel to Seattle to visit son via Amtrak.

A lot of people are moving to WA and OR. Secure something sooner rather than later.
GL

Old 04-01-2017, 03:28 PM

58 posts, read 66,693 times
Have you looked at Sheridan, Dundee or the towns around there in wine country? It's not urban but it's definitely civilization and seems like it would be pleasant ....disclaimer: I have only driven through

Old 04-01-2017, 04:38 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,531,150 times
Dundee has become overwhelmed with traffic to the coast.

East of Salem is Silverton, a quaint town. I haven't visited there in years but I recall it as an attractive small community.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:22 PM

26,631 posts, read 36,618,610 times
Silverton would be an awful commute to Monmouth. You'd be in city traffic (with the exception of that short rural stretch on Silverton Road) all the way to the bridge going to West Salem.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the input everyone! It's very helpful as I have never been to the area -- looking forward to the move!

Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM

333 posts, read 326,924 times
Salem doesn't have the best reputation, but it's got some neighborhoods near downtown that look alot like Portland's old neighborhoods that everyone loves so much, but much cheaper. And it's not a long drive at all from there to Monmouth. And if you want to go to Portland, it's a straight shot on I-5, as opposed to going through a ton of lights if you live somewhere like McMinnville. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland