Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:58 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,740,591 times

Advertisements

Be of good cheer, all you enlightened and evolved progressives. The Oregon legislature is considering a bill to make it legal for the homeless to sleep, eat, do basically whatever they want to in any public place in Oregon. "Public place" includes a lot more locations than merely the public parks.

I'm suspecting this is not going to discourage additional homeless by choice from moving to Oregon. But at least it prevents the police and local businesses from trying to discourage them or move them on from places where they are causing problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:03 PM

26,586 posts, read 36,531,974 times
^That bill died last week.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:06 PM

846 posts, read 607,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
^That bill died last week.

To even had this brought up shows the total dysfunctional thought process of these "elected" officials.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:54 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,892,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I do not understand the comment that you "may have taken the easy way out." What you did was logical, normal behavior for which 99.9% of people on the planet would have also taken. You have no obligation to live among miscreants.

Why would you continue subjecting your family to the undesirables that the city (for which you paid a lot of taxes) did not get rid of and try to keep you safe. You should be upset at the city (that you paid for). The incompetent fools running the joint did not fulfill their obligations to you and the other taxpayers.

I do not understand some of the comments that homelessness is a "societal" problem and thus all of society has an obligation to solve homelessness nationwide. Portland does not have to solve ALL homelessness. Portland needs to make it's city livable - that's it. Portland government job is to ensure it's tax paying citizens are safe. The tax payers are the boss.

As the boss, Portland tax payers should tell your city gov't to make problem go away. If that means shagging miscreants out with force - so be it. Make Portland a city known for not being "homeless friendly". It could be done in a matter of months if the city wanted it.

There will always be another naive liberal Utopian city the miscreants can go to hang in. My hometown of Madison Wisconsin is dealing with same issue now. Years of liberal Utopian rhetoric have ruined what was a very nice place at one time.
We didn't move because of the homeless problem but yes, I do feel bad that we felt we had to move after giving our entire selves to our communities in NE Portland. The homeless problem has creeped into residential NE neighborhoods and I have friends that continue to love Portland life even with young transients doing drugs in nearby parks. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I will add that most of my Portland friends have never lived in a large city and so they haven't experienced homelessness out in the open as many years as I have. Plus, I have sleep problems and couldn't stand being woken up by the street "conversations" and the shopping carts rattling outside the window. Like I said, I gave all that had to my community but I am very happy that I moved to the burbs. I know that it's easy to talk about the homeless problem from my quiet suburban neighborhood and now that I don't vote in Portland, my opinion isn't as relevant as others but I am still very interested in Portland and it's residents.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:31 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,839,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
As long as homeless miscreants aren't a visible distraction to hard working tax paying Portland residents... ... I would die of shame part way through trying to post something as disgusting as that. The fact that anyone can is the reason that there are homeless. Every single day another job creator who thinks that they are smarter than the average bear and they are going to do any of the following: outsource their labor, insource H1B or illegal laborers, contract with a prison factory, right to work Red State or sell the business to a multi-national holding company, as long as these practices are not condemned, but instead praised as savvy administration, there will be mounting numbers of homeless hoarding refuse in and around Portland, and once nice places like Madison, WI.

When a Fortune 500 lays off 10,000 workers their stock increases in value. I find it ironic that when some of those former employees turn up on the Springwater Trail that it upsets shareholders in the very company that dumped the miscreant into a life of indigence. Anyone here who thinks they have a snowballs chance of finding another living wage job in 2017 if they are laid off or fired from the job they have better think again. Lose your job and you are finished. End of story. Unless you have family that can take you in, you will wind up in your car or in a tent.
This post is just gobbledygook. You sir are an extreme pessimist who cannot see the beauty, challenges and opportunities in the world and would rather put on this farce of thinking all is doom and gloom. for what it is. The world is and always will be constantly changing and morphing in the quest for better solutions to market and yes ways to make $. It has been this way since the dawn of time.

There are literally tens of thousands of good paying position awaiting skilled folks to even apply. And by skilled it mostly means having a positive attitude and at least some work ethic.

One has to be able to adapt. The first jobs I had 30 years ago are long gone. So what - I would not want those jobs anymore anyway.

To think that one is doomed if they lose a good paying job is insane. Most folks I know who have lost jobs look back and say it was the best thing that ever happened to them.

Here are a few lessons:
Never stop learning
Look forward to and search out change
Live below your means
Save 10% (preferably more) of your income.

You do these things, you will be just fine.

If you cannot do that in Portland, then one should LEAVE. It makes no sense long term to stay in a place where one cannot achieve these simple things.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM

331 posts, read 325,796 times
Quote:
If you cannot do that in Portland, then one should LEAVE. It makes no sense long term to stay in a place where one cannot achieve these simple things.
I agree with most of what you said, but this notion of just leaving is one that people consistently offer but is poorly considered. It's easy to say,"just go somewhere cheaper." But leaving isn't just a matter of making a decision. At least half of the homeless have problems inside their heads that prevent them from being productive members of society. These will follow them wherever they go until they are treated. Others have strong ties to Oregon and can't just leave. Others would probably like to leave, but can't get the money together. Moving is not cheap. And you can go to some city with less expensive housing, but how is some homeless guy supposed to get a job there? It's not like employers in less expensive towns are looking for people with shady histories for their workforce.

I think helping people to move to places where they have a better chance of being successful could be one of a group of solutions that could be employed, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that someone who sleeps outside in the rain is suddenly going to find the wherewithal to move to Waco and make a go of it.

Last edited by EasyBeezy; 04-17-2017 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,431,538 times
Quote:
There are literally tens of thousands of good paying position awaiting skilled folks to even apply. And by skilled it mostly means having a positive attitude and at least some work ethic.....
Plus, if you can pass a drug test, you can find a job.
Might not be the greatest job in the world, or it might be.

I hear complaints all the time from people that want to hire, but can't find people that can pass a pee test.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,839,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but this notion of just leaving is one that people consistently offer but is poorly considered. It's easy to say,"just go somewhere cheaper." But leaving isn't just a matter of making a decision. At least half of the homeless have problems inside their heads that prevent them from being productive members of society. These will follow them wherever they go until they are treated. Others have strong ties to Oregon and can't just leave. Others would probably like to leave, but can't get the money together. Moving is not cheap. And you can go to some city with less expensive housing, but how is some homeless guy supposed to get a job there? It's not like employers in less expensive towns are looking for people with shady histories for their workforce.

I think helping people to move to places where they have a better chance of being successful could be one of a group of solutions that could be employed, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that someone who sleeps outside in the rain is suddenly going to find the wherewithal to move to Waco and make a go of it.
I did not say go somewhere cheaper. I said go somewhere you can make it. That is very broad and cannot really be specifically defined as everyone's version of "making it" is different.

Agree that the recommendations cannot be followed by people with emotional or mental problems. These people do need support from others. This is point where gov't may have some value.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:14 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,431,538 times
Let's send all Portland's "mobile" homeless to places like Coos Bay and Florence.

They have plenty of room out there for tent cities and camps full of old broken down RV's, and probably haven't had the great "homeless experience" that Portland has had.

As fellow Oregonians, I think it's high time they do the right thing and share the responsibility.
Why should they hog all that beautiful coastline all to themselves?
How selfish!

The ones that have "issues" can stay here in Portland and we will take good care of them.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,392,179 times
Quote:
I do not understand the comment that you "may have taken the easy way out." What you did was logical, normal behavior for which 99.9% of people on the planet would have also taken. You have no obligation to live among miscreants.

Why would you continue subjecting your family to the undesirables that the city (for which you paid a lot of taxes) did not get rid of and try to keep you safe. You should be upset at the city (that you paid for). The incompetent fools running the joint did not fulfill their obligations to you and the other taxpayers.

I do not understand some of the comments that homelessness is a "societal" problem and thus all of society has an obligation to solve homelessness nationwide. Portland does not have to solve ALL homelessness. Portland needs to make it's city livable - that's it. Portland government job is to ensure it's tax paying citizens are safe. The tax payers are the boss.

As the boss, Portland tax payers should tell your city gov't to make problem go away. If that means shagging miscreants out with force - so be it. Make Portland a city known for not being "homeless friendly". It could be done in a matter of months if the city wanted it.

There will always be another naive liberal Utopian city the miscreants can go to hang in. My hometown of Madison Wisconsin is dealing with same issue now. Years of liberal Utopian rhetoric have ruined what was a very nice place at one time.

Until you have the resources -e.g. money - to get away from miscreants, you do have an obligation to live with among them.

You could just as well say, you have no obligation to live among earth creatures, but until you achieve escape velocity, you have an obligation to live among them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland