Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 02:15 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
It is NOT the JOB of Portland Police to act as deputized ICE operatives. It is illegal for ICE operatives to prowl Small Claims Courtrooms waiting to nab defendants or plaintifss or witnesses in Civil Proceedings. These are not lawful ways to handle an immigration crisis that was created by long dead administrations. Using job location and other personal data that was supplied in good faith by DACA status seekers to round up these children of illegal Americans is shameful and the practice should be protested.

I get that you don't personally need to worry about summary deportation. Neither do I incidentally. But I have perspective. I have empathy. That isn't dismissal, that is comprehension. It has been the response of many to be dismissive of the efforts of protesters since Occupy Wall Street. Protesters inconvenience us and if the protest turns violent there can be collateral damage to public and private property. That is kind of the point.

You would do the same. There just isn't anything right now that you feel strongly enough about to protest over. That's a good thing, isn't it? Pray that that doesn't change. In the meantime, there isn't much that can be done to prevent protest that does not involve that which cannot be mentioned. We have an Administration the likes of which has never been seen before in living memory. The response is going to be likewise. You ain't seen nothing yet.
this.
(can't give you anymore reps)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 03:56 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
Default WOW... ok so back to the riot.

Before I get blasted for whining about my ex city. I did live in Portland for over 40 years. It's in my heart and soul.

It pains me to see people dismissing the destruction of property. The people you are hurting might even agree with you. Makes zero sense to give anyone a pass on these senseless acts. If any group takes action in a fashion and you don't agree with it would be an outrage, It should be regardless of the thought behind it. This is a well trodden path through history. Violence will bring violence. I don't want to ever see that in Portland or anywhere. Put down your soap boxes and rose colored glasses for a minute and think objectively. Do you want to invite counter violence into the city? There are people on the other side as rabid as any other looking for an excuse to hurt people for a cause.

“The surest way to work up a crusade in favor of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone. To be able to destroy with good conscience, to be able to behave badly and call your bad behavior 'righteous indignation' — this is the height of psychological luxury, the most delicious of moral treats.”

― Aldous Huxley, Crome Yellow

This quote means more to me now than ever.

Non violence is the proper route always....

Old 05-03-2017, 04:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
I don't see anyone dismissing or condoning violence. No one in this thread, no one in the media, no one in Portland governement, no one. The violent protesters have been arrested and hopefully will be dealt with harshly by the proper authorities. But those authorities are not the lawful protesters. As you say 'non-violence' is the proper route always. But that is not what is being discussed. The real subtext of this argument is that there should be no protest at all, peaceful or otherwise lest there be violence. That is apathy. And it preserves the status quo (and the drive time) for those who have no issue with things as they are.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
Actually, when I think of the words non violence I hear a mans voice in my ear.... He was a great man. I think non violent protests work. I think we can protest with out resorting to destruction. Its foolish as I have said before. If the only good protest is a destructive one, that would be the status quo.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Why do you continue to beat that drum? Who here, or anywhere is arguing otherwise? The people who were throwing Molotov's or destroying property were not protesting! They were behaving criminally. Period. They did not represent the spirit of the protest, they co-opted it.

EDIT: That being said...

Old 05-03-2017, 05:17 PM

119 posts, read 156,130 times
Oregon's political leadership has encouraged protests and are fully aligned with the beliefs of these so called Rioters. Destruction of property is viewed as righteous because business owners are more likely to be Trump voters. This is the whacked out thinking in Oregon these days. It's a nasty place.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:25 PM

333 posts, read 328,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Actually, when I think of the words non violence I hear a mans voice in my ear.... He was a great man. I think non violent protests work. I think we can protest with out resorting to destruction. Its foolish as I have said before. If the only good protest is a destructive one, that would be the status quo.
If the mans voice in your ear is who I think it is (MLK), he did practice non-violence. But he also practiced non-compliance. Civil rights protesters did not follow the directives of the police, but did not violently resist either. For their trouble, they got cracked in the skull with nightsticks, bitten by vicious police dogs, sprayed by high pressure fire hoses at close range, attacked by white supremacists, gassed, occasionally shot, and usually thrown in jail. Because the police weren't on the right side of history, they are viewed as villains and the civil rights protesters were heroes.

Fast forward to today in Portland, and you have protesters expressing opinions about the state of affairs, but aren't actually being discriminated against. Furthermore, they have a friendly and relatively docile police force that must be directly and violently provoked before reacting. They know non-violent, non-compliant protest will not make them heroes, so they provoke a violent response from the cops. It's really a selfish act. Because the police won't attack them when they're being non-compliant, they up the ante in a narcissistic attempt to be viewed as a hero. Meanwhile, the vast majority of protesters who just want to march in solidarity get their message diluted and forgotten.

To anyone saying this is a sign of the horrible downfall of Portland, you're being dramatic. And those that blame Portland's liberal politics should keep in mind that those same liberal tendencies also make this a desirable and interesting place to live. Oklahoma City doesn't have May Day riots, but it's gotta be a pretty boring place to live (no offense to the OKC.)

Old 05-03-2017, 05:41 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't see anyone dismissing or condoning violence. No one in this thread, no one in the media, no one in Portland governement, no one. The violent protesters have been arrested and hopefully will be dealt with harshly by the proper authorities. But those authorities are not the lawful protesters. As you say 'non-violence' is the proper route always. But that is not what is being discussed. The real subtext of this argument is that there should be no protest at all, peaceful or otherwise lest there be violence. That is apathy. And it preserves the status quo (and the drive time) for those who have no issue with things as they are.
All over Social media, the Portlandia children, leftists and other fringe groups are blaming police for violence, not the anarchists. Just look around man.

However while the cute, little marches are a waste of human energy; I am pleased they go on and then get hijacked by the anarchists. It ultimately strengthens the views of the silent majority that the left is whacked and this helps keep Trump and folks like him elected.

That is the funniest part of the whole drama - BY MARCHING AROUND, THESE MORONS HURT THEIR OWN CAUSE!

Old 05-03-2017, 06:32 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
All over Social media, the Portlandia children, leftists and other fringe groups are blaming police for violence, not the anarchists. Just look around man.

However while the cute, little marches are a waste of human energy; I am pleased they go on and then get hijacked by the anarchists. It ultimately strengthens the views of the silent majority that the left is whacked and this helps keep Trump and folks like him elected.

That is the funniest part of the whole drama - BY MARCHING AROUND, THESE MORONS HURT THEIR OWN CAUSE!
Is name calling allowed on City Data Forum? Just wondering. And didn't you say you are from the Mid-West? What happened to those excellent manners I always hear you all are so famous for?

Old 05-03-2017, 06:52 PM

846 posts, read 609,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Is name calling allowed on City Data Forum? Just wondering. And didn't you say you are from the Mid-West? What happened to those excellent manners I always hear you all are so famous for?
He didn't call anyone on this forum names. You are telling untruths

In a previous post You dismissed the action of violent agitators. Now I know You realize people are getting injured by these rioters. Yet you show no remorse or empathy. As I recall you posted how you are in favor for murdering the unborn too. So, to summarize you endorse murder and violence. Yet, you have the gall to call out other people? Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland