U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM

402 posts, read 652,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It depends on the stats too, I know I did research in the differences where I came from (Denver) to Portland and the crime rates. I posted it awhile ago in the community, I would have to find it again. In general it had that felony violent crime in Portland is pretty low in comparison to the other cities its size, but general crime is pretty high (non felony assaults, thefts, and drugs really pushed the average up). I remember the index for the average US crime rate in the study was 100, with Denver being about 2x as likely to be a victim of a crime (average 200) in total and Portland being 3x likely to be a victim of a crime in general (average 300). Violent felony crimes were on average of about the national average in Portland while other crimes were nearly 4x, with Denver 2x the average for both. Large metropolises were much higher on both scales, actually kind of scary to see.

Of course the problem with stats is they change and can be affected by short term trends, these were from 2006.
From what I have seen, I think the difference between Portland and other major metropolitan cities relates mainly to the economic climate of the area. Portland seems to have a higher concentration of alternative types and street kids, which I would assume is tied into the lack of good jobs available. For instance, the last time I was there I went to a bar in the Alberta area (wherever that is) with a friend of mine that lives in Portland, and although the bar appeared to be fairly mainstreem in a decent residential area, half the people there had piercings or blue hair.

On appearance this may make people associate the city with street kids and druggies, and I'm sure drug use is fairly prevalent there, but MOST of these people are harmless and I have a hard time believing that it's really a dangerous place. I've been to almost all parts of Portland, and the only place that I ever really felt a little threatend was around the downtown greyhound station, which in most places (including Sacramento) draws some shady people.

I can literally gaurantee you that there are more problems with violence and gangs in Sacramento than there are in Portland. Again, the point is, you just stay out of those areas.

I am heading to Portland in a day or two on my way to Seattle. Say a prayer for me! lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,750,835 times
Moderator cut: Provide some credible source material before making accusations, please

As for crime in general, it is a fact that property crime is higher in Portland. But I'd rather live somewhere that I have to deal with someone stealing the flowerpot off my front porch than I would with somewhere I have to deal with a present fear of being raped or murdered.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-13-2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 PM

27,822 posts, read 23,079,099 times
A few nights ago I was watching The History Channel. It was about the Hoover Criminals. I was actually surprised at first when I found out it was in Portland,OR. After a minute the surprise factor wore off. I figured gangs can exist anywhere. The Hoover Criminals and the East Side White Pride are the only Portland gangs I have heard of.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,731 times
Dude, its Portland, OR. There is some gang activity to be sure, but it is still one of the safest major cities in the U.S.. Don't let people fill your head with hype.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,976,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner66 View Post
Dude, its Portland, OR. There is some gang activity to be sure, but it is still one of the safest major cities in the U.S.. Don't let people fill your head with hype.
Succinct and well put. For a city of its size, the amount of crime in Portland is laughable. Try visiting similar-sized Baltimore. The violent crime rate is easily quadruple of what they have in Portland. And remember those stats only show the crimes that are reported. Plenty of bad things happen in a place like Baltimore where no police report is ever filled out.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,705 times
How about this...more people in Portland will die of lifestyle related issues than gang violence many many times over. Obesity, smoking, ****ty diet and a sedentary lifestyle are our entire NATIONS biggest problems.

Keep to yourself in the city, don't mess around in neighborhoods and with people you don't know if you are alone and you'll be fine. I've lived and currently live in a PDX gang "hot spot" and have had ZERO trouble. Gangs are generally after other gangs, not just random folks. There are terrible cases where unrelated and innocent people get caught up in this mess, but like I said in my first sentence, gangs are not the black plauge they are made out to be.

Goozer, you are no doubt familair with PG County and Anacostia. There is a reason they are places of legend. That's legitimate danger my fellow Stumptowners and having walked those streets PDX is like skipping through daisies. Even in PG and Anacostia I didn't get messed with, because I kept to myself, didn't shoot anyone any weird looks and didn't make myself a mark by running around all terrified.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 AM

30 posts, read 224,099 times
Im happy to read everyones opinions on gang violence. Me and my hubby are moving to PDX in a year and we are coming from Phoenix, AZ where there were over 1,000+ gang crimes in the last 6 months. Im sure its all relitive to where you are in the city and the associations you keep. Street smarts are the best weapon against crime.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 AM

661 posts, read 1,101,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Try visiting similar-sized Baltimore.
Baltimore is larger than Portland in both city and metro populations. But your point is valid. Having lived near Baltimore for almost 20 years, its level of crime is out of proportion to its size compared to Portland. Being 40 miles from DC does not help things.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:46 PM

402 posts, read 652,890 times
Just visited Portland, and LOVED it! I patrolled literally all parts of downtown, had zero problems. There wasn't even a HINT of anything gang related in ANY part of the city I went too. In fact, I didn't even see any of the sideways hat wearing wannabees that are all over California. I was EXTREMELY impressed with the cleanliness and relaxed downtown area, which is usually somewhat slummy in most cities of a comparative size.

Portland struck me as literally the safest, cleanest big city I've ever been too. I felt extremely safe in all parts.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 10,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboy7 View Post
How about this...more people in Portland will die of lifestyle related issues than gang violence many many times over. Obesity, smoking, ****ty diet and a sedentary lifestyle are our entire NATIONS biggest problems.

Keep to yourself in the city, don't mess around in neighborhoods and with people you don't know if you are alone and you'll be fine. I've lived and currently live in a PDX gang "hot spot" and have had ZERO trouble. Gangs are generally after other gangs, not just random folks. There are terrible cases where unrelated and innocent people get caught up in this mess, but like I said in my first sentence, gangs are not the black plauge they are made out to be.

Goozer, you are no doubt familair with PG County and Anacostia. There is a reason they are places of legend. That's legitimate danger my fellow Stumptowners and having walked those streets PDX is like skipping through daisies. Even in PG and Anacostia I didn't get messed with, because I kept to myself, didn't shoot anyone any weird looks and didn't make myself a mark by running around all terrified.
Oldboy7 - are you familiar with the area of Crofton MD then? My unemployed husband is considering a job in west annapolis and I was looking at what areas to live in. I like Crofton so far, but I am concerned about what the crime and gang activity is like . . . do you have any info? I want to make sure I am moving them to a relativly save area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland