U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM

2,701 posts, read 2,350,403 times

Advertisements

So, we understand you guys are baddasses putting up with baddaass gang violence in baddass towns.
We get it.

So let's quit bragging about how tough and bad you got it wherever you are, and let's get back to discussing gangs in PORTLAND, OREGON shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 PM

305 posts, read 301,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina_babe View Post
I totally agree with you these people have no clue what they are talking about!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
Gang activity is overhyped by teenagers who have too much time on their hands (AHEM).
I should've put "Gang activity is overhyped by teenage girls who have too much time on their hands."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
So let's quit bragging about how tough and bad you got it wherever you are, and let's get back to discussing gangs in PORTLAND, OREGON shall we?
I think that's the point. It's overexaggerated by teenagers (like the aforementioned) who try to make things seem bigger than they really are.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 PM

435 posts, read 251,479 times
portland gangs are tames because it rains

Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 PM

78 posts, read 84,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Gang tags or just tags? All kids tag.
IMO, kids tag because they have too much time on their hand, don't respect the property of others even if it's public, lack of parents' education and concern, and/or because they want to feel bad-ass by breaking the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I've heard of people getting shot for wearing red/blue bandannas...not in Portland though. More of a Cali thing.
Technically, that's more of Blood (red) vs Crips (blue). They were at war at the highest peak, IIRC, during 80s and early 90s which their war were all over US, despite their origin in Los Angeles.

As for avoiding being a target, don't behave like one or even imitate like one (style, color, the way you carry/walk yourself, gang signs, etc..). It's the new recruits or wanna be that tend to terrorize in public because they feel the need exercise that 'power' and the adrenaline rush from it. The true hard core want as little attention as possible since their illegal activities (trafficking of contraband) already bringing them more attention than they want. Once they become very organized, they're mafia.

IMO, stopping the spread of gang violence is a joint effort by both parents, community, government officials, and law enforcement. While Portland is not as bad as other bigger metros, it's not too late for us to prevent that from happening.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 610 times
There's not just mexican gangs who are doin crimes..F.Y.I ! I hate how everyone thinks mexicans are all in gangs! Not true at all.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 AM

156 posts, read 206,988 times
Average week of gang violence in Portland: 5 shootings, 2 wounded.

Average week of gang violence in Chicago: 47 shootings, 26 wounded, 12 dead

Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM

7,925 posts, read 6,473,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rass33 View Post
Average week of gang violence in Portland: 5 shootings, 2 wounded.

Average week of gang violence in Chicago: 47 shootings, 26 wounded, 12 dead
Sadly that is the Average week. Further south most of the gangs are wannabe kids. Mostly Latino, but other races are represented also.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:13 PM

206 posts, read 117,235 times
To be fair, Chicago has 5 times as many people. But still:

Portland homicides 2012 = 29 (and these generally seem to be domestic/argument type stuff, not gang-related. Portland does not have a gang problem. Anyone who thinks it does is seriously deluded)
Chicago homicides 2012 = 532

Portland still has a high murder rate compared to other non-American first world cities, but compared to other American cities it's pretty low.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 PM

161 posts, read 63,508 times
Gangs in Portland exist, but I think that people here want to be considered as having a "problem" where there isnt one. In order to be considered a major diverse city in America, you must have gangs violence. In part it is to combat a wholesome image that is a symptom of being so white, and also a reaction to the culture shock that comes with "diversity".
Truth is

Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,275,090 times
I don't think people play up gang violence to counter a "wholesome image". Most of people living in places like NW Portland or inner SE or tourists don't even really think about any sort of gang violence or hear it discussed while they're here. While there's less crime related to gangs through most of the city compared to larger cities or more dangerous places there is gang activity and where there is violence including shooting related to gangs in Portland is out east of 82nd and mostly east of 122nd way out towards Rockwood and the Gresham border these days. You're average person moving to inner Portland or suburbs will never go to Rockwood in their time here.

When there is a spurt of gang violence it'll get picked up by the media occasionally, but it's only a real news story when it happens downtown like the shooting in August near the Portland Spirit or in front of a downtown nightclub. When it does happen downtown(suddenly the rest of the city takes notice).

Gang shootings tally 13 in 10 days

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...waterfron.html

When I lived in North and Northeast Portland for seven years, I heard gunshots fired on plenty of nights--most of the time no one was actually hit and the story barely made the news unless someone was injured or killed. Usually around the same corners or parks. That rapidly gentrified corner of Williams and Fremont near the new New Seasons and condo buildings was the site of several shootings I remember. In a few years when gentrification peaks in this area, this sort of thing will be even more rare though.

My friends living in North Portland further up near Lombard had a couple drive-by shootings in one year just a few houses away from their home--bullets even hit their friends house. Most of the neighborhood and neighbors are fine decent folks, people just go along with their daily lives for the most part, it's just somewhat random incidents that people take notice.

The level of gang violence in East Portland is considered tame by US city standards only because so many other US cities have much worse levels of murder and violence(some unfortunately ranking close to the levels of violence in Latin American cities).

Last edited by Deezus; 09-23-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland