Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:31 PM

403 posts, read 1,119,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Well then you should know that your statement of "taken over by Mexican gangs" is a little bit of an exaggeration.
No, it isn't. I live on the border of Beaverton and Aloha. I'll be happy to show you the evidence in person some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,669,648 times
See the wilsonville spokesman paper this past issue to see the problem is not just in Gresham. Note where I have moved to, nothing but cows here

Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times
Perhaps there's a particular problem in your area of Beaverton but Beaverton is a big place. As is Gresham, etc. There's a problem in Rockwood for example, but not the entire city of Gresham. People reading these forums will really believe the entire city of Beaverton has been taken over by violent gang members on every corner by your statement. I mean, come on, that's so far from the truth it's funny.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Perhaps there's a particular problem in your area of Beaverton but Beaverton is a big place. As is Gresham, etc. There's a problem in Rockwood for example, but not the entire city of Gresham. People reading these forums will really believe the entire city of Beaverton has been taken over by violent gang members on every corner by your statement. I mean, come on, that's so far from the truth it's funny.
I believe I clearly stated it was the Beaverton/Aloha area. If it wasn't clear in my first post, it should be by now. That's more specific than saying the entire city of Beaverton "has been taken over by violent gang members on every corner." Nice extension fallacy, though.

If there's any question as to the truth in my statement, I would invite any reader to check with the Washington County Sheriff's Office. They double-patrol the Aloha area, and I've had them over to my place TWICE this past week because of gang-related crime in the neighborhood.

Move here at your own risk; move elsewhere in the PDX area and be safer. Don't understand the crime minimalist crowd...

Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times
Sorry to upset you but you said Beaverton/Aloha, as in both Maybe I misread it but I took it to mean both cities were being "taken over" not the border between the two cities.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry to upset you but you said Beaverton/Aloha, as in both Maybe I misread it but I took it to mean both cities were being "taken over" not the border between the two cities.
Okay, that's fair. Sorry it wasn't clearer. I do mean the border area. A lot of Beaverton is quite nice; just not the part bordering Aloha. Anybody wanna buy a house? I guess I'm not much of a salesman...

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post
Okay, that's fair. Sorry it wasn't clearer. I do mean the border area. A lot of Beaverton is quite nice; just not the part bordering Aloha. Anybody wanna buy a house? I guess I'm not much of a salesman...
Would you mind going into more detail of the crimes you have experienced? I too live in the Beaverton/Aloha area and am interested in this. I have noticed a LOT of tagging in the past 12 months or so. Is this what you refer to or to something else as well?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:48 PM

30 posts, read 127,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post
Nonsense. NE is bad. Gresham is bad. And Beaverton/Aloha is being taken over by Mexican gangs. A guy wearing the wrong colors got his head bashed in with a baseball bat just twenty feet from my front door. He was not affiliated with any gang, just wearing the wrong colors, when a car pulled up alongside him.

Having said that, it's still pretty unlikely that you'll personally fall victim to the same. But that's not to say there aren't gang-related problems. There's gray between "there's no real problem" and "it's out of control, all Hell has broken loose."
When you say "NE" what area do you mean exactly? My son lives in the NE in Irvington and from what he says there is no gang activity there

Old 03-12-2008, 05:54 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,669,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farside098 View Post
When you say "NE" what area do you mean exactly? My son lives in the NE in Irvington and from what he says there is no gang activity there
possible the refer was to ne metro area.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:40 PM

66 posts, read 247,053 times
Well, we have a lot of people here saying there isn't much gang activity in portland, and one person, from oakland, saying it's pretty bad. So believe what you want. Yes, there is gang activity and once in a while there is a shooting. But 99% of the people, 99% of the time, won't notice anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland