Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:02 PM

331 posts, read 322,891 times

Advertisements

Most immigrants these days come here via family connections. If you are a US citizen and your immediate family members are still overseas, you can bring them over on family unification.

Although the rule says officially that any employer sponsored visa needs to be for a job that they couldn't find an American to do, that isn't how it works in practice. That said, Environmental Planners and Scientists are not at all rare, especially in the Northwest, so I doubt an employer wouldn't go through the trouble of sponsoring you unless you really gave them a good reason.

Have you considered going to get an advanced degree over here? Going to graduate school in the States can be a springboard to getting a green card. The extreme cost of education over here may make that a difficult proposition.

If I were you, I'd be applying for the green card lottery. The chances of you being selected are small, but it's free (i believe) and reserved for citizens of countries with low rates of immigration to the US, of which Sweden must be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 06:28 PM

129 posts, read 116,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
I don't think that the drugs, hippies or homeless would bother me if I don't have to actively integrate with it on daily basis, do you have to?
First, I agree with everything EasyBreezy said. I've lived in Portland for almost 20 years. After many years of slow, steady growth, we've reached a tipping point where population growth has surpassed the infrastructure's ability to absorb it. Rent and housing prices have increased dramatically. If you're coming from a really big city like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, or New York, the problems and cost of living don't seem so bad. I'm among those who considered Portland to be close to perfect until about two years ago, so it really depends on one's perspective and preferences.

The homeless population also has increased dramatically. Some are victims of the economy or a personal financial or health crisis, some are mentally ill or suffer from addiction, and some choose homelessness as a lifestyle. If you live or work downtown, and you venture out to walk around or visit one of our fabulous food-cart pods, expect to be panhandled for spare change on a daily basis. I've never felt in danger, though.

Traffic is an issue in that it increases commute times and makes people frustrated. Within the past year, it's become the "new normal" for drivers to run red lights at intersections. I first noticed this when I almost got run down twice during one lunch break when I stepped into a crosswalk after the "walk" sign had turned on. Now pedestrians often cross streets against the lights, causing drivers to slow down (or even stop) when cars have the green light. The same is true with many bicyclists, who don't think that stop signs or traffic lights apply to them.

Hippies don't bother me. Nor do hipsters, yuppies, conservative business people, or members of any other subculture, as long as they're civil and don't harass other people. Portlanders, in general, are very tolerant of diversity.

Quote:
I have read that Portland has a strong economy. And is good for outdoor and sporting activities. So maybe I should pay a visit. How much do a couple have to make to get off well in Portland (say normal house, car, two children and so)?
From what I've heard, the economy is good, but not as good as Seattle's. Portland long has been known as a city that has a high cost of living compared to average wage. I'm fortunate to have been in a couple of industries (high tech and leadership consulting) that pay better than average. The city is a mecca for creative professionals, for whom pay usually is a lot lower.

It's difficult to say how much money you'd need to make to live a comfortable lifestyle. It depends on where you want to live and what you consider "necessities." Living in or close to Portland costs a lot more than living in the suburbs, but I still can't believe what my modest suburban house is worth compared to what it was worth in 2011. It's doubled in value, and it's nothing special. I bought it when I was single, but I wouldn't be able to afford it on my own salary today. You might want to start a separate thread on what people consider a livable salary here these days. Housing is the biggest cost here. Food, utilities, and other necessities aren't bad.

Although environmentalism is important to most Portlanders, our current President doesn't seem to place much value on it. If he gets his way, funding will be cut from many environmental initiatives. My guess is that it won't be good for job prospects in your field, but I could be wrong.

In summary, I thoroughly recommend that you visit Portland and other parts of the Pacific Northwest. It's one of the most beautiful regions in the US, and probably the world. I personally wouldn't move to Portland now if I didn't already live here, because too much of what I loved about this city for over 15 years has changed. Others would disagree; it comes down to personal preference. Don't get me wrong--I don't hate Portland. If I were to move to the PNW now, though, I'd choose a smaller city, such as Eugene, Salem, or Bellingham. Unless you move to a really rural area, though, I don't think there are any West Coast cities with truly inexpensive real estate anymore--at least not compared to the South or Midwest.

Interesting side note: one of my former coworkers married a Swede a decade ago and moved to Stockholm. She loves it there, except for the long winter nights. She finds the scenery there similar that of the PNW, except it's flatter there.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:27 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,878,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
First, I agree with everything EasyBreezy said. I've lived in Portland for almost 20 years. After many years of slow, steady growth, we've reached a tipping point where population growth has surpassed the infrastructure's ability to absorb it. Rent and housing prices have increased dramatically. If you're coming from a really big city like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, or New York, the problems and cost of living don't seem so bad. I'm among those who considered Portland to be close to perfect until about two years ago, so it really depends on one's perspective and preferences.

The homeless population also has increased dramatically. Some are victims of the economy or a personal financial or health crisis, some are mentally ill or suffer from addiction, and some choose homelessness as a lifestyle. If you live or work downtown, and you venture out to walk around or visit one of our fabulous food-cart pods, expect to be panhandled for spare change on a daily basis. I've never felt in danger, though.

Traffic is an issue in that it increases commute times and makes people frustrated. Within the past year, it's become the "new normal" for drivers to run red lights at intersections. I first noticed this when I almost got run down twice during one lunch break when I stepped into a crosswalk after the "walk" sign had turned on. Now pedestrians often cross streets against the lights, causing drivers to slow down (or even stop) when cars have the green light. The same is true with many bicyclists, who don't think that stop signs or traffic lights apply to them.

Hippies don't bother me. Nor do hipsters, yuppies, conservative business people, or members of any other subculture, as long as they're civil and don't harass other people. Portlanders, in general, are very tolerant of diversity.

From what I've heard, the economy is good, but not as good as Seattle's. Portland long has been known as a city that has a high cost of living compared to average wage. I'm fortunate to have been in a couple of industries (high tech and leadership consulting) that pay better than average. The city is a mecca for creative professionals, for whom pay usually is a lot lower.

It's difficult to say how much money you'd need to make to live a comfortable lifestyle. It depends on where you want to live and what you consider "necessities." Living in or close to Portland costs a lot more than living in the suburbs, but I still can't believe what my modest suburban house is worth compared to what it was worth in 2011. It's doubled in value, and it's nothing special. I bought it when I was single, but I wouldn't be able to afford it on my own salary today. You might want to start a separate thread on what people consider a livable salary here these days. Housing is the biggest cost here. Food, utilities, and other necessities aren't bad.

Although environmentalism is important to most Portlanders, our current President doesn't seem to place much value on it. If he gets his way, funding will be cut from many environmental initiatives. My guess is that it won't be good for job prospects in your field, but I could be wrong.

In summary, I thoroughly recommend that you visit Portland and other parts of the Pacific Northwest. It's one of the most beautiful regions in the US, and probably the world. I personally wouldn't move to Portland now if I didn't already live here, because too much of what I loved about this city for over 15 years has changed. Others would disagree; it comes down to personal preference. Don't get me wrong--I don't hate Portland. If I were to move to the PNW now, though, I'd choose a smaller city, such as Eugene, Salem, or Bellingham. Unless you move to a really rural area, though, I don't think there are any West Coast cities with truly inexpensive real estate anymore--at least not compared to the South or Midwest.

Interesting side note: one of my former coworkers married a Swede a decade ago and moved to Stockholm. She loves it there, except for the long winter nights. She finds the scenery there similar that of the PNW, except it's flatter there.
It's more crowded last few years that it's pretty noticeable to me and I have only been here for 7.5 years. The Portland area we lived in has gotten very expensive and the area we live in here in Beaverton is also getting spendy. Our property taxes just keep going up! We get a lot more for our money though out here in the west burbs compared to Portland so I guess I shouldn't complain. A lot of good families are being displaced because they are renters and the landlords raise their rents by amounts I never witnessed as a renter in the good old days. Seems wrong. Something for renters to think about before moving here.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:53 PM

129 posts, read 116,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
It's more crowded last few years that it's pretty noticeable to me and I have only been here for 7.5 years. The Portland area we lived in has gotten very expensive and the area we live in here in Beaverton is also getting spendy. Our property taxes just keep going up! We get a lot more for our money though out here in the west burbs compared to Portland so I guess I shouldn't complain. A lot of good families are being displaced because they are renters and the landlords raise their rents by amounts I never witnessed as a renter in the good old days. Seems wrong. Something for renters to think about before moving here.
My wife and I live in Beaverton, too. When she retires in a couple years, we're going to move. We're deciding between the Big Island of Hawaii, where she's from (which would be a more or less lateral move financially) or the South, where I moved from (where we could afford our dream house). We love the PNW, but after 20 years here, we're ready for a change.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:01 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,878,648 times
Quote:
My wife and I live in Beaverton, too. When she retires in a couple years, we're going to move. We're deciding between the Big Island of Hawaii, where she's from (which would be a more or less lateral move financially) or the South, where I moved from (where we could afford our dream house). We love the PNW, but after 20 years here, we're ready for a change.
We talk about our older years and whether we will stay in The PNW and travel to warmer climates or totally moving but have have time. Glad that Beaverton worked out for you for a while but yeah, there are cheaper places and easier places to live.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,307,258 times
Quote:

Beautifully stated. I agree with most of your points.

Overcrowding because I prefer smaller areas and ever increasing COL especially rents is why I left Portland three years ago. I loved the overcast weather and many other things about Portland but those two were the prime reasons I felt I needed to relocate after decades of living there.

Those were the two most important issues for me. It might be different for someone else. As you say it all comes down to personal preference and personal needs.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:05 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,253,544 times
Quote:
What's the weather like in Hawaii? Is it beach luaus near bonfires under the stars all the time?

Old 07-16-2017, 06:59 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,492,389 times
You will love USA/Portland if you are:
1) healthy
2) young and strong
3) have a nice skillset (ex. MD-PhD, big data scientist, machine-learning engineer etc)

Did I mention healthy? (more on that later)

If the above conditions are met, you'll be making a lot of money, paying in taxes less than you'd in Europe/Sweden, and could not care less about the social safety net people have in Sweden (you won't need it).

With education that is unlikely to give you a well-paying job, you may still enjoy USA/Portland even while working at your barrista/store clerk job, until the first serious medical problem that is.

Once you get the bill for the medical services (in US, you decipher the bill by counting the 0000s in it) you'll be glad you have your home country to return to.

But come and visit, even stay for a few months (in the summer, preferably)
At 23, bills for medical problems you may encounter typically have no more than 4 figures in it.

Finally, thinking about going to college in US to become that highly paid professional?
See my comment how to read the medical bill.

Last edited by skiffrace; 07-16-2017 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 02:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,307,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
You will love USA/Portland if you are:
1) healthy
2) young and strong
3) have a nice skillset (ex. MD-PhD, big data scientist, machine-learning engineer etc)

Did I mention healthy? (more on that later)

If the above conditions are met, you'll be making a lot of money, paying in taxes less than you'd in Europe/Sweden, and could not care less about the social safety net people have in Sweden (you won't need it).

With education that is unlikely to give you a well-paying job, you may still enjoy USA/Portland even while working at your barrista/store clerk job, until the first serious medical problem that is.

Once you get the bill for the medical services (in US, you decipher the bill by counting the 0000s in it) you'll be glad you have your home country to return to.

But come and visit, even stay for a few months (in the summer, preferably)
At 23, bills for medical problems you may encounter typically have no more than 4 figures in it.

Finally, thinking about going to college in US to become that highly paid professional?
See my comment how to read the medical bill.
Regarding the quality of medical care I would rate Portland's as top of the line even better than the world renown Cleveland Clinic where I go now. But yes, as everywhere in the US, that's only if one can afford the cost. It all goes back to getting the proper education leading to to right job that will pay for medical care as things stand now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland