Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:40 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam33r4 View Post
I just moved from disgusting Buffalo, NY. Downtown Portland is not even comparable to many other downtowns across the country. Portland is the envy of so many! The bums don't bother me; in downtown Buffalo my risk was getting shot. After 5pm, there was nobody around. Everyone left when their jobs were done. Portland is much, much different. Appreciate what you guys have!
Buffalo has a reasonably nice core, and is quite safe. Buffalo is about as urban/vibrant as Portland.

You really just moved from Buffalo? Very odd post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 3,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Buffalo has a reasonably nice core, and is quite safe. Buffalo is about as urban/vibrant as Portland.

You really just moved from Buffalo? Very odd post.
Are you serious? Like actually serious?

I lived in Buffalo for 25 years. Its core is a dump. No shopping, few restaurants that go out of business quickly. The city itself has like 3 or 4 "urban" neighborhoods. Buffalo is one of the most dangerous cities in the country, and this past month it may have surpassed Chicago for gun violence. Have you ever lived there? I'd love to hear more of what you think.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:08 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Quote:
I just moved from disgusting Buffalo, NY. Downtown Portland is not even comparable to many other downtowns across the country. Portland is the envy of so many! The bums don't bother me; in downtown Buffalo my risk was getting shot. After 5pm, there was nobody around. Everyone left when their jobs were done. Portland is much, much different. Appreciate what you guys have!

If you just moved here then you haven't seen nearly the scope of the "bums" problem. Not even a fraction. Remember that "downtown" is not all of Portland. And any violence that someone could get caught in would be gang-related (doesn't happen often but it HAS happened). That aside, I'm sure Portland has to be an improvement over Buffalo.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:13 PM

5 posts, read 3,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
If you just moved here then you haven't seen nearly the scope of the "bums" problem. Not even a fraction. Remember that "downtown" is not all of Portland. And any violence that someone could get caught in would be gang-related (doesn't happen often but it HAS happened). That aside, I'm sure Portland has to be an improvement over Buffalo.
I've been visiting Portland for years, and this was not an impulse move. I did a lot of research prior to my move and safety was a huge part of my decision. I'm not naive about the "scope of the bums". I live SE and see them often wandering around. I know it's not a downtown thing. I have seen them pretty much everywhere I've gone within the city. Crime was a part of life in Buffalo. Someone got shot on my street and we lived in a "good" neighborhood. When we moved to a different part of the city, we had a string of 4 women getting raped within the first week of being there. Again, in a good neighborhood. I'm not saying these things don't and can't happen in Portland, but for safety being concerned, it does not happen as often in Portland, and most crime studies will show that.

And yes, Portland has been a huge improvement. I didn't move here to jack up your rent/housing costs so that I could get legal access to pot like some have. I moved for a great work opportunity that I wasn't afforded back home, and I really enjoy the region. I just think people who have lived here for so long need to step out and see what some of the worse off cities look like.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:03 PM

356 posts, read 409,387 times
Downtown Portland is pretty much a "destination spot" for me, though when I was a lot younger, it was moreso. It's about me ageing more than downtown Portland undestinationizing.

I have to say that these posts arguing about the relative superiority or inferiority of Portland are quite tiresome. Surely C-D people have more constructive things to discuss? I have to note that a lot of participants here aren't even Portlanders, so for them it's just a cheap shot to offer judgements about what it's like to live here.

When I'm in the company of people who are "rankers", I find it stifling. There are people who worry passionately about the bestest and the worstest, and the 14th bestest and the 27th worstest. Portland is a pretty unique and interesting city, and that's why I live here. Get a life.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:19 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Quote:
I moved for a great work opportunity that I wasn't afforded back home, and I really enjoy the region.

Congratulations to you, and I'm glad that it's working out well for you. At least it sounds like you did your homework.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:14 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
At least there is always something interesting going on downtown:

Altercations start early at dueling downtown Portland protests | OregonLive.com

Looks like fun for the whole family.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:03 PM

333 posts, read 328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I do.
Shopping with my parents when I was a kid, the sights and sounds, when Pioneer Courthouse Square was new and a big deal, etc

Who goes downtown anymore.
Not I.
It's a pain in the patootie and isn't really worth the effort unless some really special event is going on.
People that live in the Pearl and tourists are the only things keeping it alive.

I totally agree with this opinion piece on OregonLive:

Fix Portland's infrastructure for shoppers: Letters to the editor | OregonLive.com

BTW, read the opinion after the downtown one.
(On pumping gas)
While I agree that downtown has become a bit more scuzzy lately due to the burgeoning homeless population, it was never a squeaky clean version of urban Americana. To insinuate that it has gone way downhill and is no longer worth visiting isn't really fair. It is still vibrant day and night, most businesses are active and many are longstanding, and it is not particularly dangerous. I'm downtown every day for work and often stay later to hang out and am thankful for what we have. Lets compare to a few other downtowns in cities of comparable size.

Phoenix - Dreadfully boring
Tampa - Even more dreadfully boring
Charlotte - Nice, but sanitized and auto centric
Salt Lake - Extremely, unbelievably boring
Richmond - Vibrant in some areas, scary in others
St. Louis - Scary at night, aside from a few pockets
Kansas City - Nicer than I thought it would be, but still kind of boring
Indianapolis - Pretty boring
Portland - Countless bars and restaurants, great shopping, healthy real estate market, plentiful parking, little violent crime, kind of dirty, lots of homeless

If you're anything like me, as you got older, you found less and less to enjoy about downtown. Like all downtowns, they follow the money. And while older people have more money, younger people are the ones willing to spend it on the types of things that downtowns typically offer.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:10 PM

356 posts, read 409,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
At least there is always something interesting going on downtown:

Altercations start early at dueling downtown Portland protests | OregonLive.com

Looks like fun for the whole family.
Another exercise in cherry-picking. You know, the plums and peaches are getting ripe too! But Trump supporters attract that kind of response, in a family-friendly spirit I guess.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:45 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
You don't have to bicker with me so much you know....
It's not healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland