Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:13 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times

Advertisements

I just saw an article on wunderground.com that the PNW will have potentially record-breaking heat this week. Looks like Portland will hit triple digits on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, with Thursday potentially hitting a high of 107 degrees.

Do Portland apartments generally have AC units or central AC? It looks like a lot of other days this week will be potentially hitting 90, and AC would seem to be a necessity during the summer. I didn't realize that the PNW experienced heat waves of this magnitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:40 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Yep, it's going to get hot. And while uncommon it's not exactly rare, nor is it a recent phenomenon. The record high is 107, first recorded in 1965 and repeated in 2009.

New apartment complexes seem to have AC, but most do not. People make do with portable units, fans, hanging out in the mall or some other air conditioned space, or, if they can take the time, head for the coast.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Hot weather Portland...(35+ yrs w/o AC in car or house)
  • head to coast
  • head to mtns
if stuck in town;
  1. Get a fan,, (or compact AC BEFORE they are GONE (sold out first day of high heat)
  2. shade (concert in the park)
  3. Pools / fountains
  4. rivers
  5. Library
  6. Happy Hours
  7. Malls
  8. museums (I like the PAM library)
  9. Free classes / events at PSU
  10. visit a hospital (before you need one... lobby reading...)

Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times
Well, here in SE Michigan, it's not reaching triple digits so far this summer, but we have had some days in the high 90's. I have AC in my apartment, but rarely use it unless the high heat lasts for weeks. I use fans or do the some of the same things as suggested: malls, coffee shops, library, etc. Most of the summer here isn't excessively hot. I hadn't heard of portable AC units, but for some situations it might make sense. I bet they do sell out really fast when the high heat starts in the PNW.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:29 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Well, here in SE Michigan, it's not reaching triple digits so far this summer, but we have had some days in the high 90's. I have AC in my apartment, but rarely use it unless the high heat lasts for weeks. I use fans or do the some of the same things as suggested: malls, coffee shops, library, etc. Most of the summer here isn't excessively hot. I hadn't heard of portable AC units, but for some situations it might make sense. I bet they do sell out really fast when the high heat starts in the PNW.
Yeah, there's always a run on AC units at hardware stores when the forecast has it getting above 90 or so for more than a day or two.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:34 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Once I had no other choice but to run a cold bath. It worked! That and you learn to use fans at night to move air through the house and close the windows/blinds in the am. In that 2009 heatwave I stayed at the cheapest nearby hotel I could find with AC.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
It's not the daytime high temp, it is the humidity and the fact that it doesn't cool off as much at night. I think the day that the Portland forecast is for 107° it also calls for a "low" of 72. Down here in the Rogue Valley we get temps in the 100s this time of year but the lows are almost always in the low 60s, which makes it easier to get up early, open up the house and cool it off ahead of the coming heat.

Our Wednesday high is forecast to be a record 113°, also with a record low of 71°. Our humidity is pretty low, though (yesterday it was 99° with a RH of 18% once it got above 90°, so it is a dry apocalypse, as opposed to a humid one - meaning misters work well here).

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Hot weather Portland...(35+ yrs w/o AC in car or house)
  • head to coast
  • head to mtns
if stuck in town;
  1. Get a fan,, (or compact AC BEFORE they are GONE (sold out first day of high heat)
  2. shade (concert in the park)
  3. Pools / fountains
  4. rivers
  5. Library
  6. Happy Hours
  7. Malls
  8. museums (I like the PAM library)
  9. Free classes / events at PSU
  10. visit a hospital (before you need one... lobby reading...)
You can let the weather dictate when you do all of those things, OR, you can get one of those new-fangled machines they call air conditioners and do them if and when you want to.

Last edited by karlsch; 07-31-2017 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 01:51 PM

812 posts, read 1,061,450 times
Seattle area is also supposed to break 100degF this week.
That is extremely rare there and hardly anyone has AC. (we never did)

I am happy to say the house we recently moved into is the first time we have ever owned central AC, figuring it covered our bets in case any current climate trends edged upwards in temps.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
You can let the weather dictate when you do all of those things, OR, you can get one of those new-fangled machines they call air conditioners and do them if and when you want to.
I am a farmer who spends every minute of daylight outside... so these are not suggestions for me, but for the metro folks who need / want / desire AC.

I don't have that option / luxury.

Nor would I ever want it / need it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: