Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 PM

115 posts, read 139,311 times

Advertisements

I am trying to plan a solo winter vacation. Last year I did Seattle and love it. This year, I want to do either Portland or Vancouver. This will be from Dec 26-Dec 31. Keep in mind that the rain doesn’t bither me a bit! The things I like to do consist of: walk around and explore downtown area, take cool photos via Iphone, eat at different local restaurants, shop, see art, go to bars, and nightclubs. Which city should i visit? I’m a 23 year old male, if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Are you talking about Vancouver, Washington, or Vancouver, BC Canada?

If you're talking about Vancouver, Washington (not the Canadian Vancouver), definitely stay in Portland. Nothing wrong with Vancouver (WA) as a place to live, but if you're visiting as a tourist, you want to be in Portland proper.

If you have access to a rental car, make sure you also save some time to get out of town and do the Columbia River Gorge and at least a daytrip to the Oregon Coast (Canon Beach is an easy day trip.) Both are "must dos" if you are into photography.

In Portland, two really cool places I've enjoyed for photography are the Portland Japanese Gardens and The Grotto

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-14-2017 at 10:12 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 PM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,035 times
You can't go wrong with either option in my opinion based on what you are looking to do. Don't expect too much of a hopping bar or nightclub scene though certainly there are clusters of such areas throughout Portland as with every city but it is far from a party town. I couldn't speak to Vancouver BC.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:07 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Are you talking about Vancouver BC? or the Portland suburb of Vancouver WA?

Definitely Vancouver BC. And maybe take a side ferry trip over to Victoria BC.

Don't bother with Vancouver WA. It's just a suburb with suburban stuff.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 PM

115 posts, read 139,311 times
I’m sorry everyone. I am talking about Vancouver, BC.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:05 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Vancouver BC is a lot of fun. But wow that time of year its very dark, cold and wet. To the point where the nightlife thins out a bit. If you enjoyed Seattle in the winter you would enjoy Portland.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dregoinplaces View Post
I am trying to plan a solo winter vacation. Last year I did Seattle and love it. This year, I want to do either Portland or Vancouver. This will be from Dec 26-Dec 31. Keep in mind that the rain doesn’t bither me a bit! The things I like to do consist of: walk around and explore downtown area, take cool photos via Iphone, eat at different local restaurants, shop, see art, go to bars, and nightclubs. Which city should i visit? I’m a 23 year old male, if that makes a difference.

Ok.

You can go to bars and restaurants at home. If you come to the NW perhaps you might consider see a bit of the natural landscape? There are volcanic mountains, oceanfront, waterfalls, skiiing, hiking, snowshoeing, guided cave tours....

Just a thought

Old 08-15-2017, 10:17 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Visit Timberline Lodge. I believe there is a bus, if so I recommend you take that as you are at the height of ski season & schools are out. Typically there is 10+ feet at the Lodge at that time of year.

You are hitting us during school vacation and at the time of year where the weather can be nasty.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
It gets dark around 415-430PM and it can rain all day without stopping for weeks. Mud, leaves, everywhere. Its mental torture for some but yet some LOVE it maybe you are one and will be in heaven. Prices in Vancouver BC during winter are very low, you can get 4 star hotels in the heart of Downtown for 90-100 bucks or sometimes 85 dollars or so. But it comes with 30 dollar parking rates. I find a enormous difference between Portland OR and Vancouver BC. One is an international destination where many from Asia want to live that tells you a lot and its reflects in the housing prices. Portland, OR not quite there yet. I find Portland Or is good for 2 days max or one long full day. Vancouver BC is best imo just seen not from driving but the skytrain. It can be bloody murder driving weekdays business hours in Vancouver. There have been times I called it quits and parked the stupid car and sat out the traffic.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:26 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Ok.

You can go to bars and restaurants at home. If you come to the NW perhaps you might consider see a bit of the natural landscape? There are volcanic mountains, oceanfront, waterfalls, skiiing, hiking, snowshoeing, guided cave tours....

Just a thought
I'm guessing you don't travel to cities much!

OP, Portland and Vancouver are great cities. Portland probably leads for beer and good if quiet urbanity, Vancouver for Chinese food and more international/dense urbanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland