Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipshe View Post
Well, we are looking to relocate to the Portland area, not in the city, but out side of.

Where would anyone suggest to be a nice safe, jobs, animal friendly, liberal (but not to much).

Any advice would be appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by hales1985 View Post
Hello, we are also looking at the Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA ... We are originally from the west (Colorado and Seattle) ...! We have lived in Seattle for a year and loved it! What are the upcoming neighborhoods and where are most of the jobs located?
Consider asking in the forum from the city 10 min north of Portland. Especially if you can LIVE and WORK in the state that is 2 min north of Oregon.

For Oregon... (knowing NOTHING about your budget / job / age / kids(?) / recreation and entertainment preferences / access to healthcare or airport...)
look into Sandy, Boring, Corbett (east side, colder, but rural / scenic, decent schools, and close to recreation~ <20 min to services / Portland)

Canby, Aurora,

McMinnville or Newberg or Forest Grove for larger rural towns w/ colleges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:30 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
The OP never mentioned anything about not looking for a suburban lifestyle or living in Seattle. They mentioned "the Portland area, not in the city, but out side of."

When I first moved to Portland, one of my new co-workers was selling their house in a nice, inner-SE neighborhood. He brought the flyer by my desk at the end of the day--they wanted $450k back in 2008. It might as well have been a million dollars to me because we never could have afforded it, and that made it clear that I wouldn't be able to afford those close-in neighborhoods.

That house is probably worth $750k now. Maybe more. Would have been a good investment, but again, you live where you can afford.
Maybe, reread the OPs quote,
they specifically mention living in a
"religious, mini van soccer mom driving" area as a "awful experience"
( I thought that was an allusion to suburban living).. as well as
stating " We have lived in Seattle for a year and loved it! "

and why are you trying to scare people? Prices are definitely in a different category from Kansas city but not from Seattle!

You can definitely get something in Woodstock, Foster powell, Brentwood darlington in the 300-400k (we did a property search over the last month and only looked at houses in these areas under $330,000 for example- inventory is pretty good right now, and we are in escrow).

All nice areas, and they are not inner Portland... you can still get quarter acre lots( neighbors house sold last week in the $360's, its a .3 acre lot, 4 bedrooms) etc...

but be downtown in 15 mins if that is your desire....

But, like has been mentioned previously, where you work is important ...
otherwise from the OPs description of what their lifestyle, they should be fine, and greatly enjoy the area!

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 09-27-2017 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: cleaned up grammar

Old 09-27-2017, 02:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I think you're confusing the OP with a random post in the this thread. Here's the OP:

Quote:
Well, we are looking to relocate to the Portland area, not in the city, but out side of.

Where would anyone suggest to be a nice safe, jobs, animal friendly, liberal (but not to much).

Any advice would be appreciated

Old 09-27-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think you're confusing the OP with a random post in the this thread. Here's the OP:
Ohhhh you are right!

Thanks!
(but I did recommend Estacada...)...

Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post

and why are you trying to scare people? Prices are definitely in a different category from Kansas city but not from Seattle!
Not trying to scare anyone, just providing a personal example. We moved from Corvallis, one of the highest property value cities in the state and still couldn't afford close-in Portland.

I'm just not sure why you think a person moving to the Portland area and not living IN Portland shouldn't "bother coming to Portland."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick
I always wonder ..." why bother coming out to Portland if all you want is the suburbs," lol)....
lol indeed. We landed near Washington Square because it was a balance of what we could afford with good schools, but based on your logic we shouldn't have even bothered to move here. Why are you so snooty?

Old 09-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Not trying to scare anyone, just providing a personal example. We moved from Corvallis, one of the highest property value cities in the state and still couldn't afford close-in Portland.

I'm just not sure why you think a person moving to the Portland area and not living IN Portland shouldn't "bother coming to Portland."

lol indeed. We landed near Washington Square because it was a balance of what we could afford with good schools, but based on your logic we shouldn't have even bothered to move here. Why are you so snooty?
Washington square estates, Tigard?

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...Square-Estates

well that isn't portland, pretty tony looking (snooty looking in my book, not sure how "animal friendly a subdivision is) but, maybe its just what the OP wants...

It really depends on what you want, one persons idea of heaven is another's nightmare... but neither of the posters looking to relocate have really elaborated on what kind of housing they are looking for.

I am more into older, craftsman style homes with character and a big garden, walkable neighborhood, with good food and brews in the vicinity-
but that is me.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Washington square estates, Tigard?

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...Square-Estates

well that isn't portland, pretty tony looking (snooty looking in my book, not sure how "animal friendly a subdivision is) but, maybe its just what the OP wants...
Ha, no, not that place. A very middle-of-the-road subdivision near Washington Square Mall. Good try though!

Quote:
It really depends on what you want, one persons idea of heaven is another's nightmare...
Totally agree with you here. For example, I feel bad for folks in the Overlook Neighborhood that have to deal with the homeless camps and all that comes with that.

Quote:
I am more into older, craftsman style homes with character and a big garden, walkable neighborhood, with good food and brews in the vicinity-
but that is me.
Agree with you on the walkable neighborhood with good food and brews (both types). From my house, within a 10-12 minute walk I have half a dozen restaurants, a couple of good local coffee houses, a growlerie, grocery store, and miles of trails along a greenway to walk the pup. Couldn't be happier with my choice of neighborhood. I did the "older home fixer upper" thing with our first house in Corvallis and decided that's not how I wanted to spend my time and money. More interested in experiences than stuff now that I'm older (and my kids are getting older), but different strokes...

Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:

I DID live in one of the most trendy, popular neighborhoods in close- in NE when my husband and I bought a house from out of state in 2009. We moved a few years ago to Beaverton and it’s more diverse( we are multi- racial and grew up in SF), much better funding for schools, a drive into Downtown Portland that’s only five more minutes longer than my old NE hood, a nice farmers’ market, good public libraries with parking, a beautiful neighborhood with old trees and great walkability. All this twelve miles from Downtown Portland. Our house in Beaverton was significantly less expensive than houses in our old neighborhood and I use less heat/air because of the new insulation. I am a “city person” but as I get older I appreciate schools and amenities as I have lived in urban areas my whole life and the burbs ain’t bad to be honest. Just my two cents...

Old 09-28-2017, 10:38 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Ha, no, not that place. A very middle-of-the-road subdivision near Washington Square Mall. Good try though!

Totally agree with you here. For example, I feel bad for folks in the Overlook Neighborhood that have to deal with the homeless camps and all that comes with that.

Agree with you on the walkable neighborhood with good food and brews (both types). From my house, within a 10-12 minute walk I have half a dozen restaurants, a couple of good local coffee houses, a growlerie, grocery store, and miles of trails along a greenway to walk the pup. Couldn't be happier with my choice of neighborhood. I did the "older home fixer upper" thing with our first house in Corvallis and decided that's not how I wanted to spend my time and money. More interested in experiences than stuff now that I'm older (and my kids are getting older), but different strokes...
I wonder if we have met. I do the same things here...😎

Old 09-28-2017, 01:00 PM

One last thing (I would love to hear back from OP hope we haven't scared them off)-
that's what I don't think I have conveyed appropriately-
I don't live in a trendy close in neighbor hood of Portland, there is a middle way-
we have goats, ducks, chickens on our 4 block radius, and .3 acre lots- yet still in portland and close - traffic is a breeze if you don't cross bridges, can't give feedback around Portland public schools as mine attends college high school, (although I think your socioeconomic and parental inputs pretty much determine your school success)...

Again its better for the environment- and everybody's commute if you live as close as you can to work.

And if you don't mind a little sweat equity (we are lucky to have the skills, time, and ability) you can get a very affordable home in Portland (just not inner- I guess by that I mean something before 40th etc....
We do have friends living in NE, and that is interesting,but chose to live in SE, its just little more relaxed and peaceful - a wonderful balance...
Ok hope OP comes back and tells us what happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland