U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 08:25 AM

3,276 posts, read 2,284,779 times

Advertisements

Gresham seems an odd choice. Luxury boxes are occupied by corporate accounts. Maybe I have been gone too long from Portland, but aren't the majority of corporations, with the bank to buy luxury boxes, going to be in Beaverton (Nike!), Portland, Tigard, Hillsboro, Vancouver? I know there are corporations in Gresham, and Portland and Vancouver might not be too far for corporate executives. But Beaverton/Tigard/Hillsboro to Gresham? Seems a stretch to me... I would start by placing the stadium somewhere near Nike, since they are a lock to buy a box and have corporate involvement.

Last edited by ormari; 05-07-2021 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: clarification
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 04:03 PM

306 posts, read 194,842 times
Looks like MLB wants the A's out of Oakland. The time is now if Oregon wants MLB baseball

Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 AM

I think Portland, San Antonio, Las Vegas, etc. are just bargaining chips used for levering the people of Oakland into doing what MLB wants.

It's not just a new ballpark that MLB wants, as they have rejected proposals to build a new stadium at the existing Oakland Coliseum site. MLB wants a waterfront site in Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB
“The Oakland Coliseum site is not a viable option for the future vision of baseball. We have instructed the Athletics to begin to explore other markets while they continue to pursue a waterfront ballpark in Oakland. The Athletics need a new ballpark to remain competitive, so it is now in our best interest to also consider other markets.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Oakland
We share MLB’s sense of urgency and their continued preference for Oakland. Today’s statement makes clear that the only viable path to keeping the A’s rooted in Oakland is a ballpark on the waterfront."
Even if Portland metro were a real possibility, and not merely a bargaining chip, how does the Portland Diamond Project's proposal for a Gresham site fit that requirement?

Old 05-13-2021, 12:38 PM

1,033 posts, read 769,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I think Portland, San Antonio, Las Vegas, etc. are just bargaining chips used for levering the people of Oakland into doing what MLB wants.

It's not just a new ballpark that MLB wants, as they have rejected proposals to build a new stadium at the existing Oakland Coliseum site. MLB wants a waterfront site in Oakland.

Even if Portland metro were a real possibility, and not merely a bargaining chip, how does the Portland Diamond Project's proposal for a Gresham site fit that requirement?
Where has the Portland Diamond project put forth a Gresham proposal?

Old 05-13-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
Where has the Portland Diamond project put forth a Gresham proposal?
The story cited by karlsch had Lashbrook and DuBois pitching the Gresham proposal and Lashbrook was associated with/had consulted for Portland Diamond Project. But you are right, that does not mean PDP is pushing the Gresham idea.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:35 PM

4,812 posts, read 6,620,637 times
Quote:

Gresham is a ridiculous idea that will not happen.

These sorts of decisions are only partially about baseball. They are MUCH more about real estate development in the surrounding area. There is no group of real estate investors burning to invest billions of dollars into new development in Gresham around some new MLB ballpark.

That is why you mostly see new stadiums going into more dense urban zones with potential for much more high density surrounding development. The only big exception in the past decade has been Atlanta and that was a case of Cobb County, north of Atlanta throwing BILLIONS into a new suburban Braves development. Something that Multnomah County would NEVER do.

The Terminal 2 site makes some sense because the surrounding industrial land is ripe for high density development with high height limits and such. Likewise a stadium somewhere in the Lloyd District or Rose Quarter. the Lloyd Center is collapsing financially and they could bulldoze it and put a new stadium there that would be right on the light rail and existing freeway interchanges. That would probably be my first choice.

But Gresham? Or any other suburban site like Tigard or Wilsonville? Not going to happen because the counties and state aren't going to cough up the necessary infrastructure. Imagine how much worse the traffic would be in Wilsonville or Tigard if they had MLB stadium traffic on top of existing traffic 82 days/year?

Old 05-14-2021, 02:14 PM

833 posts, read 568,142 times
I guess this goes along with the 40 years ago plan to build the Delta Dome in Delta Park. We'd likely have a baseball or football team in town it that had happened. I think the same thing would need to happen again... build it and they will come! Until Portland has the facility in place to house a team I don't think a team will be coming to Portland and then build their own new facility. I would hate to see the city/state invest much money into a pro-sports facility, so I don't see the likely-hood of the A's moving to Portland (or an expansion team).

Old 05-16-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
But Gresham? Or any other suburban site like Tigard or Wilsonville? Not going to happen because the counties and state aren't going to cough up the necessary infrastructure. Imagine how much worse the traffic would be in Wilsonville or Tigard if they had MLB stadium traffic on top of existing traffic 82 days/year?
Just to be clear, I was not suggesting a far-out suburban location for a ballpark, but that any ballpark probably should be somewhere close to the center of mass for corporate metropolitan Portland area.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:29 PM

4,812 posts, read 6,620,637 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, I was not suggesting a far-out suburban location for a ballpark, but that any ballpark probably should be somewhere close to the center of mass for corporate metropolitan Portland area.
Sure. But my point was that ballpark construction is much more about real estate development (or redevelopment) than it is about baseball. Mark my words, if any MLB team comes to Portland and builds a new ballpark, private real estate development will be a primary consideration in the location. And just because we observers and fans might not see it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Sure. But my point was that ballpark construction is much more about real estate development (or redevelopment) than it is about baseball. Mark my words, if any MLB team comes to Portland and builds a new ballpark, private real estate development will be a primary consideration in the location. And just because we observers and fans might not see it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.
I understood your point, and I agree that is the way it would work. In fact that development will likely be a big part of the sales pitch.

They may make claims that the ballpark pays for itself by way of the ballpark-adjacent development. They create a Tax Increment Financing District around the park that directs the taxes from the new development to pay for the newly required infrastructure and possibly the stadium too.

I think in practice, it relocates consumer dollars from other parts of the economy to the ballpark, and that also has tax ramifications that won't be explicated in the sales pitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland