Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post

I attribute it to immense arrogance. I frequently apologize. I, like everyone else, do things wrong all the time. I bump into people accidentally, I speak loud on my cell phone and realize someone is nearby. I cut someone off while driving. Portlanders don't apologize for those things.
Bingo! Smug, self-satisfied, arrogant... it all describes the Portland attitude. I also apologize if I realize I've accidentally done something rude or thoughtless. Portlanders -- if you call them on their bad behavior, ie., asking a parent if their child could please not run around your table in a restaurant, or honk at someone who blatantly cuts you off, you don't get an apology. You get a snotty passive aggressive reply basically telling you it's YOUR problem, or you get flipped off.

Or god forbid you should make a negative remark about the weather. Some people absolutely come unglued at that, which I find funny, because the weather isn't inherently a loaded issue. It is what it is.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Bingo! Smug, self-satisfied, arrogant... it all describes the Portland attitude. I also apologize if I realize I've accidentally done something rude or thoughtless. Portlanders -- if you call them on their bad behavior, ie., asking a parent if their child could please not run around your table in a restaurant, or honk at someone who blatantly cuts you off, you don't get an apology. You get a snotty passive aggressive reply basically telling you it's YOUR problem, or you get flipped off.

Or god forbid you should make a negative remark about the weather. Some people absolutely come unglued at that, which I find funny, because the weather isn't inherently a loaded issue. It is what it is.
OH MY GOD!!! My best example was at Tigard Library. I was backing into a space and two small kids ran behind my car into the parking lot. The parents were about 20 yards away. I stepped out, just livid and tore into them. "What in God's name is wrong with you?" Their excuse was "They're just kids." I said,"Yeah, they're just kids, that's why you're supposed to be watching them. What if I would of run over one? Would it of been their fault?"

They didn't give an inch! Thank God I left. Thank God.

Regarding weather, you're not supposed to say anything negative about anything. Criticism is awful... that might explain why you can't get competent service in any field. My God, I didn't know one person who didn't have dentist nightmares. Not one good dentist? What's up with that? Mechanics? Good luck.

I think "self-satisfied" is the key. They think they're good just because they exist. Thank God I left...

Old 04-09-2008, 04:44 PM

403 posts, read 1,119,677 times
Quote:
You're perfect.
Thank you.

Quote:
Calling it "excuse me stuff" is representative of the culture... and is part of the sneakiness that is pervasive. The difference between "excuse me" and "I'm sorry" is the former is a request for someone else to do something whereas the latter is a form of submission.
You're over-thinking it. Whether it's "sorry about that" or "excuse me," it's still light social politeness, which is not what I was referring to.

Quote:
"Excuse me" in the Portlanders application is an effort to get around trouble without asking forgiveness. (Coming from a culture where you use "excuse me" to get through a crowd, I never became accustomed to people saying "Oh, you're OK" whenever I was trying to get through.)

That's sneaky without the retreating... it's an ego preservation thing.
No, I'm pretty sure that saying, "Excuse me" is polite everywhere, Jethro.

Quote:
Finally, you finish up in typicaly Portland style with passive-aggressive attack ("gay baiting" stuff) which is an exquisite example of how Portlanders treat people who don't agree with them.
There was nothing passive about it. Also, I'm from California, not Portland. People here are just fine the way they are.

Quote:
Nicely done.
Takes a bow.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post
Thank you.
Also, I'm from California, not Portland.
Yeah, Portlanders tried to say there was difference too. However, I never saw it.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Portlanders tried to say there was difference too. However, I never saw it.
Seriously, if you thought Portland was bad, you need to live somewhere where people are actually mean. There's no comparison.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Seriously, if you thought Portland was bad, you need to live somewhere where people are actually mean. There's no comparison.
That's another good example. My adolescence was spent in Detroit, MI. Mean was mean.

Portland isn't mean. It's passive-aggressive and self-centered.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 12,596 times
Thank you. It is not just me. I think every thing you have said is on point. we are leaving in may and I cant wait. We raised out kids here and they all moved away because of the lack of opportunity. Thank you, Thank you

Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
That's another good example. My adolescence was spent in Detroit, MI. Mean was mean.

Portland isn't mean. It's passive-aggressive and self-centered.
Good thing you left, huh? No wait, in your own way, you're still here, aren't you?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmorrison6 View Post
Thank you. It is not just me. I think every thing you have said is on point. we are leaving in may and I cant wait. We raised our kids here and they all moved away because of the lack of opportunity. Thank you, Thank you
I'm happy it helps! Thank you.

I sat hour on hour trying to figure it out. Then one day, I watched a guy make demands to someone who had the upper hand on him. I stood there thinking,"Man, if I was in his position, I'd be kissing that guys... Hoping he doesn't call my bluff." Then I realized, the first guy thought the second guy owed him something. Then, I became aware of all the arrogance.

Combine that with all the other awful stuff. Reckless driving and awful, awful table manners, it's bad news. (I couldn't go to the coffee shop anymore because of people doing things like blowing their nose and then reaching over my coffee to throw out the tissue. What kind of animals are they?)

Good luck in the new place! and Congratulations on getting out!!!

Quote:
Good thing you left, huh? No wait, in your own way, you're still here, aren't you?
Yeah. To be honest, I checked in here to see what Portlanders said about Portland. Then, I saw people asking about the area and thought I'd help out with my experience... Consideration for others... go figure...

Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah. To be honest, I checked in here to see what Portlanders said about Portland. Then, I saw people asking about the area and thought I'd help out with my experience... Consideration for others... go figure...
Alright, that's fair. It just makes me wonder when someone puts so much energy into bad-mouthing a place they're glad they left. It's like old wounds aren't healing or something.

I feel the same way about California (nasty septic tank of a region,) only I rarely go into those forums. I guess I'm just not that curious what people there say about a place I used to live. Can't speak for you, but I'm pretty confident in my evaluation of my past, so I could care less if people glow about the places I've lived or damn them to eternal Hellfire. It changes nothing for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland