Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 01:33 PM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I’m curious to see what’s peoples perspectives are on Portland vs Seattle. I lived in Seattle for a year 4 years ago while I was attending school and unfortunately it didn’t work out for me. Part of it I believe was attributed to my age/lack of maturity at the time but I also think there was something in the air in Seattle that caused some of the mental health issues that I had at the time. I felt that despite the desire I had to make friends, many people came across as so self righteous and arrogant that I wasn’t able to connect with them very well. This was my perspective at the time and I thought it might have had something to do with myself not being appealing but I’ve since heard from other people that they find people “surly” up there as well, particularly in the Capitol Hill area where I lived. I was wondering what those of you who live I Portland think of the attitudes of people in younger “trendier” areas compared to Seattle. Do you find extreme pretentiousness as well, or a more laid back ambience? I am also considering checking out the arcata ca area, if anyone knows about that area I’d be interested to hear as well.

Would appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
No, it's more so.

Portland's runs its mouth off constantly like Trump on one of his tirades. "I'm right you're wrong", especially if you're an outsider. The popular mentality is "agree 100% or GTFO". Today, Portland is one of the most provincial, arrogant and intolerant cities you'll ever go. Passive-aggression is huge in Portland. Seattle just shrugs its shoulders like "yeah, whatever dude" and goes on about its business.

If you think Seattle's bad, spend a day in Portland and you'll learn quickly how good you have it.

"Mentally Portland is the deadest spot you ever walked through. She's a good 30 years behind Seattle."
-Woody Guthrie. It's just as true now as it was in the '30s.

Last edited by Ttark; 10-22-2017 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 07:33 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I felt that despite the desire I had to make friends, many people came across as so self righteous and arrogant that I wasn’t able to connect with them very well. This was my perspective at the time and I thought it might have had something to do with myself not being appealing but I’ve since heard from other people that they find people “surly” up there as well, particularly in the Capitol Hill area where I lived. I was wondering what those of you who live I Portland think of the attitudes of people in younger “trendier” areas compared to Seattle. Do you find extreme pretentiousness as well, or a more laid back ambience? I am also considering checking out the arcata ca area, if anyone knows about that area I’d be interested to hear as well.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of surly and pretentious people in Portland too, OP, and also Arcata. Best to stay away from those places. (Sarcasm off)

Last edited by Angry-Koala; 10-22-2017 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I've lived half my life in both cities.

I find Seattle to be much worse. Seattle gets about 10x more tourists than Portland and Seattleites just get weary of all the gawkers wandering around the place. Plus, Seattle has a much bigger superiority complex and tends to think of itself as the epicenter and only major city in the Northwest except for maybe Vancouver which they sort of acknowledge. Portland is thought of as little more than just a big Tacoma or Spokane if it is recognized at all.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:58 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Hi all, I’m curious to see what’s peoples perspectives are on Portland vs Seattle. I lived in Seattle for a year 4 years ago while I was attending school and unfortunately it didn’t work out for me. Part of it I believe was attributed to my age/lack of maturity at the time but I also think there was something in the air in Seattle that caused some of the mental health issues that I had at the time. I felt that despite the desire I had to make friends, many people came across as so self righteous and arrogant that I wasn’t able to connect with them very well. This was my perspective at the time and I thought it might have had something to do with myself not being appealing but I’ve since heard from other people that they find people “surly” up there as well, particularly in the Capitol Hill area where I lived. I was wondering what those of you who live I Portland think of the attitudes of people in younger “trendier” areas compared to Seattle. Do you find extreme pretentiousness as well, or a more laid back ambience? I am also considering checking out the arcata ca area, if anyone knows about that area I’d be interested to hear as well.

well I find portland friendly, and almost bought a house in Arcata some years back.
(It helps if you know a few folks, join the local food coop, something with a common sense of purpose, etc)....

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 10-22-2017 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: oops posted wrong thread so deleted it

Old 10-23-2017, 01:14 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
deleted

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-23-2017 at 01:30 AM..

Old 10-23-2017, 04:48 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
I think I first heard about this frosty stereotype of people from the pacific northwest 20 years ago? It's been brought up over the years. I've read on C-D in the Washington, Oregon and Idaho forums about it over the past several years too. It's referred to as "The Big Chill". There was another name for it too that I can't remember right now. You could probably find it in the Seattle forum if you dig a year or two back as I think it was recently I read it.

The stereotype is that people from the PNW are polite but short with you and have a dry sense of humor that some don't always get. That it also feels clickish and difficult to make friends after long periods of living in a city there. So it feels like the cold shoulder when they're friendly but unwelcoming when they'd prefer to remain on the side of the "I don't know you and I'm not interested" type of acquaintances.

I'm sorry for what you've gone through, Rcsligar. In my personal experience, I haven't felt the big chill because both sides of my family are from the PNW so I have an understanding and an in already with established social circles. Plus I'm a social butterfly and love exploring, meeting new people, making friends, going to new places, trying new thing, seeing what people have to offer that I can learn from, because there's always something new to learn, ect. So I'm always inviting company and holding the container for others to gather by organizing group activities.

Try not to let rejection get to you because you will face a lot of rejection and you'll realize those ones don't matter. There are a lot of great people out there waiting to make friends and will be a right fit for you. Some friendships also have expiration dates and there is nothing wrong with that either. It just means they aren't part of your story anymore. People grow and change and carry on with life. Get on with living your life and keep seeking solid friendships because you'll find it if you're a decent and caring person. Explore your interests and take care of yourself too while inviting others frequently to do things with you. You'll start seeing who your core people are by who shows up, and you can go from there. I've found as my interests and priorities change in life I move in and out of various groups. Some friendships remain and stay the same while others fade away, or I fade away for others.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I lived in one of Portland’s trendiest neighborhoods up until a few years ago. Over the years as the area became gentrified, it became exactly just as you have described Seattle’s trendy neighborhoods. If that’s not your thing, I would suggest you find a place in the farther out less trendy neighborhoods or the suburbs. I don’t think you will find so that type of “attitude” in either of them.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I lived in one of Portland’s trendiest neighborhoods up until a few years ago. Over the years as the area became gentrified, it became exactly just as you have described Seattle’s trendy neighborhoods. If that’s not your thing, I would suggest you find a place in the farther out less trendy neighborhoods or the suburbs. I don’t think you will find so that type of “attitude” in either of them.
Yeah, this is so true especially now that I live in Beaverton, which has a smallish group of younger hipster types but mostly moms driving mini- vans, SUVs to baseball and soccer games. When I go back to my old hood in Portland my Subaru feels at home but a little ” I am cooler than you” attitude is also present. I enjoy my time and drive back home to a suburb where residents wouldn’t be able to tell you the cool new bar or restaurant in Portland. Like anywhere, the urban center of a metro tends to be more hip and not as friendly as the outer boroughs/ suburbs. Portlanders are a mixed bag anyways since half of residents in the metro are transplants anyway.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:11 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
^yes, I see I used anyways twice.��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland