Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,892,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestvine View Post
Don't underestimate Vancouver, WA (Clark County) area as the next big Western thing. A lot of positive things are happening there.
Yes, he Downtown is nice and hoping more starts happening there so we can cross the bridge and enjoy another thriving area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 09:26 PM

5,381 posts, read 7,660,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Yes, he Downtown is nice and hoping more starts happening there so we can cross the bridge and enjoy another thriving area.
There's upwards of 1.5 billion dollars of investment going into the new Vancouver waterfront development along the Columbia (the area directly west of the I-5 bridge. When done it will create a whole new waterfront area along the Columbia that I'm guessing will be something like the south waterfront development in Portland (minus the med school). Hotels, condos, shops, restaurants, river walk, waterfront park, etc Vancouver Waterfront development: See the first phase take shape | OregonLive.com

I expect the new tax law which further disadvantages income tax-based OR and advantages sales tax-based WA will shift more business and population across the river. New breweries and coffee shops and restaurants are going up weekly in Vancouver. I expect that trend to accelerate once it reaches critical mass.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
There's upwards of 1.5 billion dollars of investment going into the new Vancouver waterfront development along the Columbia (the area directly west of the I-5 bridge. When done it will create a whole new waterfront area along the Columbia that I'm guessing will be something like the south waterfront development in Portland (minus the med school). Hotels, condos, shops, restaurants, river walk, waterfront park, etc Vancouver Waterfront development: See the first phase take shape | OregonLive.com

I expect the new tax law which further disadvantages income tax-based OR and advantages sales tax-based WA will shift more business and population across the river. New breweries and coffee shops and restaurants are going up weekly in Vancouver. I expect that trend to accelerate once it reaches critical mass.
Thanks for posting! I guess I need to go to the amazing library in Vancouver and check out the new developments.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:52 AM

1,183 posts, read 533,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post

I had to chuckle at the drawings. They had women in skirts and men in suits and blazers. If it was to scale, they would have several homeless beggars, a few doing meth under the tree, and several extremely overweight,tatted hipsters with bad hair color job wearing all black sipping their lattes looking indignant

Old 02-19-2018, 02:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,656,737 times
Quote:
The quote you referenced was a poster making the point that Portland is not the cheapest West Coast city but Sacramento is indeed cheaper. We, from California, not Cali, are blessed for the most part to be from the most desirable cities and living in the Mid-West is a huge cultural shift and being land locked is just too much for many of us. Why should native West Coasters move to the middle America so mid western transplants can take our places. Uhh, no thanks.
Just as i said. People don't seem to ever look at a map and see that THERE ARE OTHER CITIES BETWEEN SOUTHERN CAL BIG CITIES AND PORTLAND ( OR SEATTLE)! who the heck even mentioned the MIDWEST as in thousands of miles inland???? not I...!
Of course, i was referring to all the other cities of California, Oregon, and Washington. WHY do they insist on all converging on Portland and Seattle? two cities with acute housing shortages!

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 02-19-2018 at 03:02 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 AM

5,381 posts, read 7,660,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
Just as i said. People don't seem to ever look at a map and see that THERE ARE OTHER CITIES BETWEEN SOUTHERN CAL BIG CITIES AND PORTLAND ( OR SEATTLE)! who the heck even mentioned the MIDWEST as in thousands of miles inland???? not I...!
Of course, i was referring to all the other cities of California, Oregon, and Washington. WHY do they insist on all converging on Portland and Seattle? two cities with acute housing shortages!
Spokane is an underrated city that seems to be on the upswing. Lots of beautiful older houses on the South Hill area that look like Portland's Laurelhurst neighborhood but at half the price. It will become an increasingly viable option as Portland and especially Seattle become increasingly unaffordable.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times
Quote:
The quote you referenced was a poster making the point that Portland is not the cheapest West Coast city but Sacramento is indeed cheaper. We, from California, not Cali, are blessed for the most part to be from the most desirable cities and living in the Mid-West is a huge cultural shift and being land locked is just too much for many of us. Why should native West Coasters move to the middle America so mid western transplants can take our places. Uhh, no thanks.
I might be reading this wrong but I think you are saying the other poster is suggesting people move away from the West Coast. I think they mean there are great cities in the PNW and the West Coast other than the large ones such as Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles to which they can move instead that are not so expensive and overcrowded.

Also there are many cities in the Midwest that are far from landlocked. I live just twenty minutes away from a beautiful beach on Lake Erie where one can swim in the summertime and walking distance to another gorgeous park along the lake front.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I might be reading this wrong but I think you are saying the other poster is suggesting people move away from the West Coast. I think they mean there are great cities in the PNW and the West Coast other than the large ones such as Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles to which they can move instead that are not so expensive and overcrowded.

Also there are many cities in the Midwest that are far from landlocked. I live just twenty minutes away from a beautiful beach on Lake Erie where one can swim in the summertime and walking distance to another gorgeous park along the lake front.
I probably read that post incorrectly. I thought, “why would a Californian want to move to the mid-west?” so that’s why I commented the way I did. I need to live near a coast so Portland Metro is a drive to get to the coast but it feels close enough to me. Couldn’t do Sac but could do Tacomasnd smaller cities near Seattle for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland