U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 5,243 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a family of 5 and I have a potential opportunity to relocate from the Albuquerque Area to Hillsboro, OR. Originally from the seattle area.

Looking to buy a home in newer division and have a budget of up to 650k.

What's important:
Education/schools
New construction if possible
Safe neighborhood
45 to 50 min commute

We are a family of five in our early 40s kids are 14 and under.

We have Lake Oswego and West Linn on our radar. Thoughts on those cities or anything comparable closer to Hillsboro?

Thanks in advance.
Mak
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 05:25 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,105,885 times
I live in Beaverton after living in Portland and my opinion of Hillsboro is very good. I have met many moms out here in the burbs that live in Hillsboro and they are happy with their schools but do your due diligence and pick a school feed that meets your needs. Hillsboro is growing fast but still feels so close to farms, wineries, the coast. There are many Intel families but also a good mix of people which may remind you of Seattle area.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 PM

Lake Oswego is the spendy suburb in the metro and parts of West Linn are as well. I wouldn’t recommend working in Hillsboro and commuting to those areas. You may like Cooper Mountain which is in Beaverton and closer to Hillsboro than close-in hoods here. 650k will buy you new construction in Hillsboro, Bethany, and most parts of Beaverton.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:14 PM
DKM

4,059 posts, read 1,483,941 times
I have family in Sherwood who work at Intel and love it. Check that out. Also had family who commuted from WL but it was over an hour some days. WL has the highest ranked high school in Oregon, followed by Lakeridge so if its super duper important, live in one of those 2 areas.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I have family in Sherwood who work at Intel and love it. Check that out. Also had family who commuted from WL but it was over an hour some days. WL has the highest ranked high school in Oregon, followed by Lakeridge so if its super duper important, live in one of those 2 areas.
Actually, International School of Beaverton is the number one ranked school in all of Oregon. BSD has excellent high schools and we have many school options unlike the smaller districts. Lake Oswego schools are highly ranked but living in LO is going to be at a cost and the school foundations ask for quite a bit where as BSD doesn’t really have individual school foundations. The nice thing about the Portland metro is there is something for everyone. Maybe not entirely true but close.

Last edited by Yankeemama; 01-18-2018 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 07:53 PM

Another great thing about Washington County is the feeling that outside the box thinkers seeking tech employment, International transplants moving for employment, transplants from every part of the US, and younger professionals looking for suburban life seem to be moving here. WA County is growing and has great welcoming energy. I am a fan.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM

10,292 posts, read 17,514,602 times
Hillsboro is a great place for a family to live.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:33 PM
DKM

4,059 posts, read 1,483,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Actually, International School of Beaverton is the number one ranked school in all of Oregon. BSD has excellent high schools and we have many school options unlike the smaller districts. Lake Oswego schools are highly ranked but living in LO is going to be at a cost and the school foundations ask for quite a bit where as BSD doesn’t really have individual school foundations. The nice thing about the Portland metro is there is something for everyone. Maybe not entirely true but close.
I meant traditional high schools that take everybody in their district, not specialty/private/charter or selective schools where you apply to get in.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I meant traditional high schools that take everybody in their district, not specialty/private/charter or selective schools where you apply to get in.
I see your point. The OP has many good to excellent options considering the budget.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:58 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,638,797 times
There's plenty of neighbourhoods in Hillsboro that match your criteria, and new developments just keep going up left and right with all of the new tech jobs moving in. In other words, why not just get a house that's really close to your work? Why waste gas on a 50 minute commute everyday?
However, considering that schools are an issue for you, Beaverton would probably be your better bet.
Lake Oswego and West Linn are very far and have limited access due to their wealthy nature, commuting to Hillsboro could take about 2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland