Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,948 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at accepting a job in Portland area (Fairview) both neither of us are from the area. We are looking for housing both temporary and long term but trying to understand the best places to look in our budget. We are looking at ~350k for budget and would like a house if possible (tired of apartment living in Chicago). So far I have been looking at Gresham, Fairview and Troutdale but I am looking for help in understanding pros and cons of those areas. Thanks for the help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:00 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnielson25 View Post
My wife and I are looking at accepting a job in Portland area (Fairview) both neither of us are from the area. We are looking for housing both temporary and long term but trying to understand the best places to look in our budget. We are looking at ~350k for budget and would like a house if possible (tired of apartment living in Chicago). So far I have been looking at Gresham, Fairview and Troutdale but I am looking for help in understanding pros and cons of those areas. Thanks for the help!!!
I'm on the outskirts of Portland metro so can't be of much help, but these websites is what I've used in the past. I'm sure you'll get some help here, but until then this will get you started.

https://www.pdxlisted.com/neighborhoods/

https://www.portlandbridges.com/port...hoods-map.html

Old 03-01-2018, 10:09 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Have you looked at outer NE Portland neighborhoods? I have heard some good things about Troutdale though I don’t know much about neighborhoods or schools. Gresham is a mixed bag but again, has nice neighborhoods though you will read mostly negative opinions on the area. You can do research on crime in any area and there is a gang task force in Portland that reports on gangs in the metro.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Have you looked at outer NE Portland neighborhoods? I have heard some good things about Troutdale though I don’t know much about neighborhoods or schools. Gresham is a mixed bag but again, has nice neighborhoods though you will read mostly negative opinions on the area. You can do research on crime in any area and there is a gang task force in Portland that reports on gangs in the metro.

Yeah I have heard a couple of people say that Gresham is not good but not have great reasons why or be able to explain why it is bad. Ill have to check out the crime rate but lets be real coming from Chicago we are used to a little crime haha

Old 03-02-2018, 11:48 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I think most of the crime in Gresham is gang related. Our context is that all crime is bad and gang violence is stupid but it exists. Gang member interaction is more common in areas where they live but they do cars and will attack where other gang members frequent.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:33 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnielson25 View Post
Yeah I have heard a couple of people say that Gresham is not good but not have great reasons why or be able to explain why it is bad. Ill have to check out the crime rate but lets be real coming from Chicago we are used to a little crime haha
Exactly where I was heading but I didn’t want to make assumptions. Honestly, I have been out near Gresham but haven’t really seen much and I try not to make negative commentary because I really haven’t spent time in the area and I have indeed met many nice people that have grown up in Gresham which used to be more rural.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:40 PM

151 posts, read 233,215 times
Gresham is large enough to have good and bad parts. Fairview and Troutdale are nice. You might consider living on the Washington side of the river, in the Camas area. For the commute, you likely want to stay on the east side (not in Vancouver).

Be aware that all of these places (and even Portland itself) are going to seem very small town compared to Chicago. Outside of central Portland, you are mostly living a car-oriented lifestyle.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 2,843 times
As a fellow former east coaster, take the "bad neighborhood" thing with a grain of salt. A "bad neighborhood" in PDX is a hilarious overstatement a lot of the time. If you never lived anywhere else, it seems awful. If you've lived east coast or in a high crime city, you'll be laughing! Not to take gang violence lightly by any means, but it's kind of the truth.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvepo View Post
As a fellow former east coaster, take the "bad neighborhood" thing with a grain of salt. A "bad neighborhood" in PDX is a hilarious overstatement a lot of the time. If you never lived anywhere else, it seems awful. If you've lived east coast or in a high crime city, you'll be laughing! Not to take gang violence lightly by any means, but it's kind of the truth.
It's not violent, but the thefts are pretty annoying. If its not nailed down in your yard, it will grow legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland