Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,239 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am looking for any insight into recommendations for the right area to live in Portland for an upcoming work move for both myself and my wife. I will be working in Hillsboro (Intel) and my wife will be working in Vancouver (HP).

We're looking for recommendations that will minimize / equalize our weekly work commutes. We'd be interested in a 2-3BR / 2BA house or condo in the 500 - 800k range. School district isn't critical as we don't have children but it would be something to consider for the future.

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Only way to get to HP in East Vancouver is driving. But it will be a reverse commute so not bad. All the traffic will be coming the other direction. I mean theoretically you can get there by bus but it would take 2 tansfers and take hours.

Intel has various sites around Hillsboro. I think some are convenient to the light rail line so you can theoretically commute out there by rail and avoid the traffic. If that is the case then it would be useful to live near the blue line that runs to Hillsboro so you have that option.

At your price range, I'd look someplace in NE Portland near the light rail line. Lots of neighborhoods there that would give you both reasonable commutes. Perhaps in the Lloyd Center area where there are a lot of new condos. Or honestly if you want condos you could look across the river in the Pearl or NW Portland area. It would add 5-10 minutes to your wife's commute perhaps, or many not even that much if she goes up I-5 and takes Highway 14 over to east Vancouver.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Actually... I would not split the commute. I would get one person closer to their job... walking / biking distance (the one that has the most critical / fixed schedule, and frequent needs for emergency / unplanned trips to the office... I hope the other one of you does not mind commuting!). Hillsboro to Vancouver would likely be preferred UNLESS the Hillsboro job allows 'off-shift commute. HP has TOTALLY flex hours (for most positions since 1960s ). Many commuters from Hillsboro to Vancouver use Cornelius Pass / St Johns bridge. They seldom complain about traffic, tho I consider it a waste of daylight... (Thus I worked nights most of my career).

There may be some options. HP used to have a Wilsonville office (may still have), Telecommute as much as possible, HP friends also commute Hillsboro to Corvallis (not much easier...+ OR income tax...)

Of course you have the financial issues (income tax)... the FT / secure employee who makes the most $$ should live and work in WA... (But that may not be possible...). But... if you are into nice cars and accumulation of Stuff... OR has no sales tax and low auto fees.

NW / Pearl / or access to MAX / Street car would be another option (1 car). but I would not want too many cars if stuck in a downtown living situation.

Also consider your activities and interests:
Hillsboro is closer to Coast / and valley wines and activities (McMinnvile / Corvallis / Salem)
Vancouver / Camas is VERY close to PDX (20 min) and 20 min to Columbia Gorge.

(If you swim...(competitive / Masters / lap) Hillsboro / west Beaverton will win, as there are NO 50m pools in Vancouver, and very few (crowded and small) public adult swimming options. East of Beaverton... you must got to Mt Hood Community college (Troutdale campus) to find a decent pool.

Do consider RE resale options, and you might be able to use the $500k income tax free sheltered gains of primary residence every 24 months to retire sooner!!! should be quite ez in Vancouver or Portland if you buy right. With double income retirement / FIRE should be possible about age 35. .

retire early, retire often.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:01 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Your financial situation is good enough not to be stuck in either place. Vancouver is mostly terrible, even with the tax savings it’s hard to enjoy anything about it. We looked around and thought about moving for tax purposes but it wasn’t worth it. Everything about that place is depressing, just soul-crushing. My GF’s entire family lives in The Couv or Vantucky and yikes. Hillsboro has some ok areas, there are a few nice parts, but otherwise Beaverton is just way nicer and still close right next door. If you like downtown living of course The Pearl is awesome and somewhat equidistant. Expensive, though.

I don’t care how much Portlanders want to think everywhere is nice and it has all changed, when I was growing up everyone knew NE Portland is the ghetto and they can try to add expensive new housing all they want but it’s still not a nice area and way too many ghetto parts. No thanks. Avoid!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:50 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Actually... I would not split the commute. I would get one person closer to their job... walking / biking distance (the one that has the most critical / fixed schedule, and frequent needs for emergency / unplanned trips to the office... I hope the other one of you does not mind commuting!).

Good point. And to add that, can either of you telecommute? And when it snows/ices/city shuts down, who HAS to go to work and who doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland