Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 PM

32 posts, read 65,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This. I've heard so many of them say this.
Oooh, good tip. This is how I felt in my mind and even thought that maybe this would help me fit in! Definitely staying away from this lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 06:26 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Well, those little quirky things make Oregon, Oregon, don't they.

Quit trying to make it like where you come from whether you think things they are stupid or not.\\

Would you make fun of the Amish?

Would you make fun of Mormons in SLC?

Russians in Woodburn?

Would you tell all all those oil workers in the Dakotas a bunch of crap?

How about Wyoming Cowboys?

How about Astorians versus Coos Bay people?

Everybody is a bit different, quit trying to make believe people are the same all over.

PLEASE?

Old 08-14-2018, 08:41 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Well, those little quirky things make Oregon, Oregon, don't they.

Quit trying to make it like where you come from whether you think things they are stupid or not.\\

Would you make fun of the Amish?

Would you make fun of Mormons in SLC?

Russians in Woodburn?

Would you tell all all those oil workers in the Dakotas a bunch of crap?

How about Wyoming Cowboys?

How about Astorians versus Coos Bay people?

Everybody is a bit different, quit trying to make believe people are the same all over.

PLEASE?
But SoCal is objectively soooooo freakin’ awesome! You HAVE to agree Mike. Anyone with two eyes can see that. Come on, anywhere is better than Oregon, everyone knows that!

Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
But SoCal is objectively soooooo freakin’ awesome! You HAVE to agree Mike. Anyone with two eyes can see that. Come on, anywhere is better than Oregon, everyone knows that!
True...

Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 AM

455 posts, read 597,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It's also true that people in the PNW are cordial but a bit reserved.
FTFY.

Natives claiming they're friendly again. Sheesh. Portland, more so. Seattle, GTFO. Having just been in SoCal for the last week, people there are exactly the same, i.e. reserved but cordial bordering semi-friendly.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:59 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
They won't hate you if you aren't doing things to make them hate you. Its pretty much 3 things that annoyed me as an Oregonian when Californians would show up:

1) drive like they do in CA (will stop once the Oregon police teach you)

2) act like things in Oregon are inferior to where you're from. Nobody really cares how its done in CA. In the native mind it must be better or you wouldn't have moved to their city. This includes complaining about the weather.

3) don't follow rules in general...

I also believe that some people perceive hatred where there is none. The Pac NW passive aggressive comes and you might not be used to that. There are also a lot of people in Portland in particular who want to tell you how to live, which you might not be used to unless you are from the Bay Area.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:20 PM

Well, OP can still drive like a Californian which I don't mind. Oregonians drive like s*** and are the poster children for left-lane camping.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:22 PM

I'm almost afraid to ask at the risk of me doing all of these things... but what makes California drivers stick out terribly up there? Speeding? Lol

Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM

It's because people in the PNW AREN'T aggressive or defensive and just bomb down the interstate in a zombie-like state. Honk your horn at them and they may get upset and nearly lose all motor skills.

Oregonians don't speed btw. They'll do the speed limit in the left lane all day long.

Edited to add: Don't get me wrong, I love Oregon and like Oregonians. Sometimes the natives just need to realize their driver skills are severely lacking.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:37 PM

Lol, good to know! Going the speed limit here is driving too slow! In fact, on my commute to work, if I go 10mph above the speed limit on a surface street, I'm the slowest car around! It's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland