Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:09 PM

352 posts, read 434,695 times

Advertisements

While I would love to ask why gas station attendants are still a thing here (but I won't b/c there is a whole volatile thread on that). I do have to ask if it is appropriate to tip those guys (and gals)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 03:14 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,936,307 times
Probably not. In NJ you are not allowed to pump your own gas, so that's why there are attendants here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
While I would love to ask why gas station attendants are still a thing here (but I won't b/c there is a whole volatile thread on that). I do have to ask if it is appropriate to tip those guys (and gals)?

Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 PM

5,432 posts, read 8,127,722 times
Quote:
........ I do have to ask if it is appropriate to tip those guys (and gals)?
If they clean my windshield I tip a buck or two. Otherwise no.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:46 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,227,853 times
I usually just tell them to keep the change.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:20 PM

15,320 posts, read 8,926,726 times
Quote:
$1 if they do anything that deserves it. I keep a few dollar bills in my armrest just for that. I don't need them often.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
service (?)

Over and above their compensated tasks? Sure...

Not if they fill your Diesel vehicle with GAS!!!! (very common in Oregon, especially for unsuspecting and trusting Canadians!!!)

Old 09-05-2018, 09:20 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,430,496 times
I I have driven diesels my entire life here in Oregon, and I have never ever had anyone make that mistake. None of my diesel driving friends have either. I watch silently every single time, too. I think that this is an Oregon urban legend, otherwise it must happen often in Colorado (the home of the above poster), but not here, in my experience. Which goes back decades BTW.

IMHO, This is total B.S., but like I said, in 40 years, this has never ever, 100% never happened to me or anybody else I have ever known.
Also modern vehicles younger than 10 years old have stickers all over, and a newer diesel nozzle won't fit a gasoline tank!
BTW, who picks on Canadians?
Most people don't know, dont care, and Canadians are a pretty likeable sort, anyways.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-05-2018 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 09:00 AM

811 posts, read 1,056,528 times
I will put up with waiting for someone to fill my tank, but please let's not set the precedent of tipping for someone doing their job.

Tipping is getting out of control these days IMHO. Do you tip a grocery clerk for bagging your groceries? But someone expects a tip for tossing a bagel into a bag?

I recently drove down into CA. I had forgotten how fast and smoothly it goes to fill my own tank. But oddly, gas still manages to cost significantly more there, even though you pump your own.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I I have driven diesels my entire life here in Oregon, and I have never ever had anyone make that mistake. ...

BTW, who picks on Canadians?
Most people don't know, dont care, and Canadians are a pretty likeable sort, anyways.
We host travelers every week, many from Canada (where we previously lived) as well as living in CO and OR... No one is picking on Canadians, BUT they get scammed a lot. (because they are quite agreeable, and have not encountered alpha pump jockeys (know-it-all types)

Diesel errors are VERY common in Oregon, and I have had plenty of 'encounter's at the pump (in Oregon where attendants have attempted (and insisted) to desire to put gas in a diesel. (I have a fleet of 43 diesels at the moment). Attendants also can get very irate when you LEGALLY pump your own diesel in Oregon.

We have had (4) Canadians who were delayed in arrival during 2018 (alone) due to sitting beside the road in with a DEAD diesel that was filled with gas in Oregon ... YMMV, but they are USED to intelligent and attentive fuel service people, (who are also used to diesel vehicles... or... like 98% of the world... they legally are allowed to pump their own

I can provide you with some contacts of VERY angry Canadians (not at all like them to be angry) who later had $2000 repair bills due to a 'alpha Oregon pumper'

Has also happened to (3) guests from NZ and Australia. And a couple guests from CA (tho they are not generally allowed to have diesels. )

Old 09-06-2018, 11:00 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,838,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We host travelers every week, many from Canada (where we previously lived) as well as living in CO and OR... No one is picking on Canadians, BUT they get scammed a lot. (because they are quite agreeable, and have not encountered alpha pump jockeys (know-it-all types)

Diesel errors are VERY common in Oregon, and I have had plenty of 'encounter's at the pump (in Oregon where attendants have attempted (and insisted) to desire to put gas in a diesel. (I have a fleet of 43 diesels at the moment). Attendants also can get very irate when you LEGALLY pump your own diesel in Oregon.

We have had (4) Canadians who were delayed in arrival during 2018 (alone) due to sitting beside the road in with a DEAD diesel that was filled with gas in Oregon ... YMMV, but they are USED to intelligent and attentive fuel service people, (who are also used to diesel vehicles... or... like 98% of the world... they legally are allowed to pump their own

I can provide you with some contacts of VERY angry Canadians (not at all like them to be angry) who later had $2000 repair bills due to a 'alpha Oregon pumper'

Has also happened to (3) guests from NZ and Australia. And a couple guests from CA (tho they are not generally allowed to have diesels. )
This happened to buddy and I last year at the new truck stop just west of Stanfield. The guy filled his Dodge diesel with gas. Fortunately near the end of fill my buddy caught the mistake. It cost us 2 hrs of lost time as they had to pump the tank dry. He did get $110 of free gas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland