Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 2,754 times

Advertisements

Hey all..

My husband and I are looking to move out there in spring/summer of 2019. We are in our early 30's with 2 dogs and looking for area recommendations for which neighborhoods to live in. We are coming to visit beforehand but would like to look at apartments in neighborhoods we want to move to while there. We are not looking to live in downtown Portland.. Ultimately, we want to be walking distance to nightlife, breweries, cafes, etc.. while also being able to walk our dogs in nearby parks.

It'd be really helpful if people could tell us apartment buildings that are awesome.. or ones to avoid !!!

Thanks!!

Last edited by Tiffany01433; 09-26-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 05:53 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
How big are the dogs? Last I heard, it was very difficult to find a landlord who was willing to rent to people with large dogs, and even small dogs limit your choices a lot.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:18 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
There's a huge shortage of housing in the PDX area and 2 dogs is going to make it even more difficult. Walking to everything you want pretty much means downtown. You could try outside the city on the MAX line & get into the city pretty fast, though it is packed at regular commuter times.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:58 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
There are new apartment building springing up everywhere.
Look into the Foster/Powell area.
Not much "nightlife" there, but everything else you may want.

Portland isn't really known for it's fantastic "nightlife"...unless hanging out in a brew-pub until closing time counts as nightlife.

Unfortunately the dogs are going to be an issue unless they are tiny lap dogs, and even then..........

Expect to spend between 1200 and 2000 bucks or more (which may or may not include utilities), Pet deposits, first and last, and security deposits for a simple one to two bedroom place with NO PARKING...that's for a "close in" SE neighborhood.

Lots of competition in desirable neighborhoods.
Really check out the SE neighborhoods.
If you are looking for the "Portlandia" kind of vibe, it kind of still exists there, but those areas are getting pretty much gentrified now.

GOOD LUCK.
It's tough finding a decent affordable place right now.
If I were you, I would not limit my search to the lesser Portland area.

Here is a City Data page from where you can explore every town of note in Oregon:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Oregon.html

Don't rule out Vancouver, or southern Washington towns just across the river, either!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-28-2018 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Roballen.... The dogs are mini dachshunds..

Not looking for "nightlife" per say.. no clubs for me. Just a good local brewery, coffee shop and park nearby..

Old 10-18-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
There are new apartment building springing up everywhere.
Look into the Foster/Powell area.
Not much "nightlife" there, but everything else you may want.

Portland isn't really known for it's fantastic "nightlife"...unless hanging out in a brew-pub until closing time counts as nightlife.

Unfortunately the dogs are going to be an issue unless they are tiny lap dogs, and even then..........

Expect to spend between 1200 and 2000 bucks or more (which may or may not include utilities), Pet deposits, first and last, and security deposits for a simple one to two bedroom place with NO PARKING...that's for a "close in" SE neighborhood.

Lots of competition in desirable neighborhoods.
Really check out the SE neighborhoods.
If you are looking for the "Portlandia" kind of vibe, it kind of still exists there, but those areas are getting pretty much gentrified now.

GOOD LUCK.
It's tough finding a decent affordable place right now.
If I were you, I would not limit my search to the lesser Portland area.

Here is a City Data page from where you can explore every town of note in Oregon:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Oregon.html

Don't rule out Vancouver, or southern Washington towns just across the river, either!

Coming from Boston.. Portland prices are nothing!!!! 1 bedrooms here start at $1800 for a sh*thole..

Old 10-18-2018, 06:34 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Forget about what neighborhoods are cool and such.

You won't be deciding where to live. Your dogs will be making that decision for you.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:33 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
There are a number of parks with off-leash areas: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks/39523

The fenced ones can be seen on the attached map: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks...enityTypeID=77

The Delta Park site has no housing or restaurants close by. I am not sure about Chimney Park.

Wallace Park is in NW, The Fields in the Pearl - urban and relatively expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: