U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 AM

107 posts, read 164,742 times
Default Alberta Arts; Kid Friendly?

I have found a few homes for rent in the Alberta Arts (Concordia) area that look appealing. I am looking for opinions on how good of an area this is for young (3, 6) kids? It looks great for adults. The public schools for this area look average.

thanks

Last edited by HiggsBoson; 04-03-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 PM

I guess the cool people that live there don't hang out on this forum

When I "drive" around with Google street view the neighborhoods look nice, but crime stats seem high to me.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:07 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,817,169 times
It really depends on what you're like, what you're looking for, etc. Concordia has some very nice spots and there are some great parks in the area. During the day it's great. Alberta after dark can be fairly high crime, depending on what stats you look at. That's not to say it's completely unsafe but if you're looking for a great neighborhood for kids there are better areas by far. If you're looking to live in an artsy neighborhood and you don't mind living somewhere up and coming and dealing with the potential drama that comes with that, you may like it. School wise it's not the best so if you're looking for public schools you, again, would probably find better options in a different area.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:35 PM

108 posts, read 323,896 times
Default I'd say no based on my experience

We checked it out when we were looking at Portland on our first visit. People will attack me for generalizing, no doubt, but I found Alberta entirely too icky to feel comfortable with my kid (he was 4 at the time - this was 3 years ago and Alberta is still more or less the same).

Walking on Alberta street for about 6 blocks we saw tons of trash, broken glass, and a used "personal item" that had us pretty grossed out. That was on Alberta itself. The neighborhood around there varies block by block from what I've seen. They also have some ongoing racial tension (from all the gentrification) that results in vandalism from time to time. This is pretty much the story with the Mississippi neighborhood, too.

Mind you, we're not from some sanitized suburb. We've lived in real cities before but Alberta didn't pass the kid test for us.

There are some nicer areas near Alberta that I'd say are kid friendly (I don't know NE that well so I can't tell you neighborhoods).

Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the input, I have ruled out most of that area. The single 20 something me would have loved it, but the 35 yr old daddy will have to pass.

I will be working in the NE, but I haven't read much good stuff about decent neighborhoods in that area, so if anyone has an opinion on that it would be much appreciated.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 PM

2,180 posts, read 3,817,169 times
Irvington, Alameda, Hollywood....there are a number of really nice areas in NE, though the nice areas tend to have a high price tag.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:43 PM

116 posts, read 443,376 times
I am biased as I live in the NE, but I think it's the area is great. As was mentioned there are a lot of family friendly neighborhoods and many programs oriented around kids and families. Also, the local schools (Hollyrood-Fernwood, Alamenda, Laurelhurst, Beaumont, and Grant H.S.) are all some of the best in the city.

As for neighborhoods, I'd recommend the following. Oh, and the areas greatly vary in terms of price. Irvington, Grant Park, Laurelhurst, Beaumont, Wilshire, Alameda, Center, Rose City Park (and really anything around the golf course), Hollywood, and Sabin are all fine neighborhoods that would be great for a family.

Hey, I'm a 35 year old dad too with two kids and we love it!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:55 AM

108 posts, read 323,896 times
There's a good site for getting a feel for different Portland neighborhoods, at Susan's Online Guide to Portland Oregon - The City of Roses - there's a descriptive write-up along with demographic, crime, school, etc. info for each neighborhood. We found it helpful.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM

I am looking at some houses to rent this weekend including Laurelhurst, Eastmoreland, and Sellwood. I found a great looking house in Alameda (if you look on cragslist you will know which one) in my budget, but I was a little disturbed when I looked at the sex offender map and there was one right on the other side of the house. I know it wouldn't scare some of you off, but I prefer to stay away from known rapists and child molesters.

I am also looking at a couple in Lake Oswego and also the NW/Beaverton area.

If you cant tell I'm indecisive

Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucero32 View Post
I am biased as I live in the NE, but I think it's the area is great. As was mentioned there are a lot of family friendly neighborhoods and many programs oriented around kids and families. Also, the local schools (Hollyrood-Fernwood, Alamenda, Laurelhurst, Beaumont, and Grant H.S.) are all some of the best in the city.

As for neighborhoods, I'd recommend the following. Oh, and the areas greatly vary in terms of price. Irvington, Grant Park, Laurelhurst, Beaumont, Wilshire, Alameda, Center, Rose City Park (and really anything around the golf course), Hollywood, and Sabin are all fine neighborhoods that would be great for a family.

Hey, I'm a 35 year old dad too with two kids and we love it!
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I have been looking at some of these neighborhoods, but there are not a lot of homes for rent in the better ones in my budget of $1800 or less, preferably less Seriously who can afford $2000+ a month rent? I'm in the top 20% income bracket, and I cant afford that.

Any other good sources for home rentals other than Oregonlive.com and Craigslist.com? I think I have many of the local management companies bookmarked as well.

I will keep looking, thanks everyone. I think I have become too obsessed with Crimemapper LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland